X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    These decisions aren't made with guns to their heads. I don't feel sorry at all for Brandon Shea - who had it easier than most given his family lineage. I wish the kid the best, and hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

I come from the philosophy that it is always best to keep your options open. College does that, while playing MJ takes away a kid's ability to go to college for free. That's a huge loss.

Tell me one kid that didn't make the NHL because he went college instead of opting for MJ. Show me all of the kids who can't get an education for free because they made a short-sighted decision and played MJ.

Anybody ever read the book Freakonomics? Of all the attributes that lead to your children leading successful lives...do you know what the single biggest factor is? It's the educational level of your parents!

I'm not sure why colleges have such a hard time winning battles with MJ.
    Because it is the fastest way to pro hockey. Any player who made NHL out of D 1 would so have(I know there are exceptions)through MJ and have had a bigger impact from day one. I get the Carl Sneep/Gilroy type exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      How do you even know that Brandon made the decision himself? You don't think the father of a 16 year old has considerable power/sway? I don't know them, but on the surface...I do feel bad for the kid involved.
      Dont, he will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        Because it is the fastest way to pro hockey. Any player who made NHL out of D 1 would so have(I know there are exceptions)through MJ and have had a bigger impact from day one. I get the Carl Sneep/Gilroy type exceptions.
        So what % of MJ folks play in the NHL.

The cost of a US education is what , $240K...not to mention the ability to get a job and the enhanced earning power that a college diploma gets you. In the grand scheme of things, this is probably close to $1M gain.

So a 16 year old kid is going to give up $1M so he can get to the NHL in 3 yrs instead of 5-6? Those numbers don't add up.

Comment

So what % of MJ folks play in the NHL.

The cost of a US education is what , $240K...not to mention the ability to get a job and the enhanced earning power that a college diploma gets you. In the grand scheme of things, this is probably close to $1M gain.

So a 16 year old kid is going to give up $1M so he can get to the NHL in 3 yrs instead of 5-6? Those numbers don't add up.
          Trust me, WHL, OHL, QMJHL have the stats+ to back it up. Also, the crock that an education costs 240K is wrong. most come from modest families and without sports would have paid 8-15K per year, if that. If you think the avg kid who played at BU is making a million more because of his degree, I would beg to differ. Same at most colleges.

Comment

These decisions aren't made with guns to their heads. I don't feel sorry at all for Brandon Shea - who had it easier than most given his family lineage. I wish the kid the best, and hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

I come from the philosophy that it is always best to keep your options open. College does that, while playing MJ takes away a kid's ability to go to college for free. That's a huge loss.

Tell me one kid that didn't make the NHL because he went college instead of opting for MJ. Show me all of the kids who can't get an education for free because they made a short-sighted decision and played MJ.

Anybody ever read the book Freakonomics? Of all the attributes that lead to your children leading successful lives...do you know what the single biggest factor is? It's the educational level of your parents!

Agreed 110%

The reason schools have hard times: everyone is looking for a quick buck.

Comment

they get an education package

Comment

Two things:
                1. 25 year olds have no business playing college hockey. If you can't make the team at 18, learn to do something with your life.
                2. I like the rules with major junior the way they are now, but I think the NCAA or College Hockey Inc should sue the QMJHL for their pursuit of American kids. I'm surprised that a family like the Sheas, who took education seriously enough to send their son to a prep school, even bothered to look at the Q. Dad should have known better.
                1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Trust me, WHL, OHL, QMJHL have the stats+ to back it up. Also, the crock that an education costs 240K is wrong. most come from modest families and without sports would have paid 8-15K per year, if that. If you think the avg kid who played at BU is making a million more because of his degree, I would beg to differ. Same at most colleges.
                  The $1M is over your life. You make an additional $20-30K per year with a college degree. That coupled with the cost savings for the $60K/yr to go to BU...there is your $1M.

Where does MJ provide education packages to? Will they pay for BC or BU if the NHL doesn't work out?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    And they were the 1 seed that year. Stupid BU qualified on the last night of the season and took us down in 3 at Conte. I was so PO'ed I had to buy myself some new skates to calm down.
                    memorable series!!! as the seconds were counting down in the 3rd game i'll always remember fields turning around to the students and raising his arms outward and tilting his head back.... i was in the section to the right of the bc bench any just before that an older gentleman who was there with his mom stood up to leave and said, "i hate them so much i can taste it..."

the only good night of an awful season (one of many in that decade..... awful season, not good night.)
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The $1M is over your life. You make an additional $20-30K per year with a college degree. That coupled with the cost savings for the $60K/yr to go to BU...there is your $1M.

Where does MJ provide education packages to? Will they pay for BC or BU if the NHL doesn't work out?
                      Yes they will. Anything is negotiable. Ask John Carlson, John Moore, Delzotto, ask Pat Kane how his sister liked her free college experience.

Not one kid playing D 1 at BU would pay 60 K to go there. Most would pay 8-12 aftwer aid factored in. They just did a similar study for big time D 1 football programs. 95% of the kids going would not have paid a dime based on parents circumstances.

Dillusional if you think they woul pay 60, 50, 40, 30 or 20K to attend BU.

Comment

If you are absolutely guaranteed to make the NHL, yes going to the OHL, QMJHL, WHL is the best way to go. However, the value (not just in terms of money) of going to college is immense. Plus, there is no guarantee that you will make the NHL (unless your name is Cindy Crosby). But you can hurt yourself right away (once again a Cindy Crosby reference) and your career is over, and you have nothing to fall back on.

Of course I am very bias but that's the way I see it. Even if you're a complete idiot, say "Joe Hockey" becomes academically ineligible so he just turned Pro early. He still made it to the NHL, so what's the big deal? If "Joe" manages to graduate, then tries to play Hockey for a career but doesn't make it, he at least has a college degree. Sure, it might be in kinesiology or something but it is a degree.
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Yes they will. Anything is negotiable. Ask John Carlson, John Moore, Delzotto, ask Pat Kane how his sister liked her free college experience.
                          Yes for NHLers "anything is negotiable", what we're concerned about is 15 year olds who aren't even close to fully developed making a life altering decision and thus shutting a ton of doors if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Hoky, any news on KJ Tiefenworth?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              Hoky, any news on KJ Tiefenworth?
                              nothing definitive yet

Comment

HE or ECAC?

Comment