X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Last time not making at least the semi-finals was '04. Yes, looks like a pretty good chance they'll be there.
    And they were the 1 seed that year. Stupid BU qualified on the last night of the season and took us down in 3 at Conte. I was so PO'ed I had to buy myself some new skates to calm down.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

He's also three years into pro career...

Comment

I wish it was mandatory for US kids to go the college route. Seen too many cases of over hyped 15-16 year olds who fizzled in Q

Comment

Quintessential BC post. Already assuming that the Eagles will be in the HE '14-'15 HE championship.

ps. it seems only you and your mentor Nick have a hair across your $%^ about the age thing at MC. This dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. Just give it a rest already.
          *yawn*

The date of the HE Championship. Better?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Q sucks, American kids should boycot it. Which they pretty much do anyways. Bunch of political french guys who love to jam up Americans
            This should be an example for any American looking to go there. At 16 yeah you (your family/advisor/whatever) gets a quick buck but if it doesn't work out you've closed so many doors.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
              I wish it was mandatory for US kids to go the college route. Seen too many cases of over hyped 15-16 year olds who fizzled in Q
              He is not over hyped. Big, strong and very good. Type of kid, like a Coyle, who will be a better pro then college player. Will have great options and be just fine.

Was surprised it didnt work out better as one place good to US kids is Moncton, think Yandle
              new coach is a clown, an area clown at that

I have to disagree on the mandatory college route. They dont develop players and some kids dont like school. The NHL is not filled with rhode scholars

If you can burn the flag, you sure as heck can go major junior
              Last edited by Hokydad; 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Last time not making at least the semi-finals was '04.
                yeah, as the #1 seed and lost to the #8 seed, BU

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  I have to disagree on the mandatory college route. They dont develop players and some kids dont like school. The NHL is not filled with rhode scholars

If you can burn the flag, you sure as heck can go major junior
                  Don't think college should be the mandatory route at all, it's not for everyone regardless of desired profession.

I just don't think kids/parents/advisors should be making life altering decisions (one that closes a sh*t ton of doors) before the kid can even drive.

Comment

,I never said he was over hyped, but many others are. There was a kid a few years ago at a catholic school on North Shore who is in this year's Super 8 who was decen, but made foolish decision to go to Q after sophomore year. Has worked in factories, sporting good stores and now busses tables at a chain restaurant with no degree from even high school.

I'll stick with my original thought. American kids should play NCAA hockey.

Comment

There are plenty of players who developed nicely by going the college route. Saying colleges don't develop players is completely unfair.

Comment

Chris Drury, Brian Gointa, Scott Clemmenson, Ty Conklin, Mike Mottau, Bobby Butler...

Just to name a few four year players from HE off top of my head in last 15 years. Sure I'm missing a few.

Comment

Take hockey OUT of the equation and just let your 16 year old kid be a 16 year old kid rather than a hockey-playing robot with a crazy dad. He's not Sidney Crosby. So let him get to 18 years old and decide what he wants to do, skip college and try a hockey career or something else. I mean did we not learn anything from the Todd Marinovich story?

Did he have an invite to play in Ann Arbor? Might be his best bet right now.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                            Don't think college should be the mandatory route at all, it's not for everyone regardless of desired profession.

I just don't think kids/parents/advisors should be making life altering decisions (one that closes a sh*t ton of doors) before the kid can even drive.
                            These decisions aren't made with guns to their heads. I don't feel sorry at all for Brandon Shea - who had it easier than most given his family lineage. I wish the kid the best, and hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

I come from the philosophy that it is always best to keep your options open. College does that, while playing MJ takes away a kid's ability to go to college for free. That's a huge loss.

Tell me one kid that didn't make the NHL because he went college instead of opting for MJ. Show me all of the kids who can't get an education for free because they made a short-sighted decision and played MJ.

Anybody ever read the book Freakonomics? Of all the attributes that lead to your children leading successful lives...do you know what the single biggest factor is? It's the educational level of your parents!

I'm not sure why colleges have such a hard time winning battles with MJ.
                            Last edited by bothman; 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              ,I never said he was over hyped, but many others are. There was a kid a few years ago at a catholic school on North Shore who is in this year's Super 8 who was decen, but made foolish decision to go to Q after sophomore year. Has worked in factories, sporting good stores and now busses tables at a chain restaurant with no degree from even high school.

I'll stick with my original thought. American kids should play NCAA hockey.
                              I 100% agree.. The college experience alone is important, even though many who play miss most of it

Comment

How do you even know that Brandon made the decision himself? You don't think the father of a 16 year old has considerable power/sway? I don't know them, but on the surface...I do feel bad for the kid involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X