This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

I think what BC needs is for UMass to fall below the .500 line to they won't be a TUC anymore. UMass losing next weekend would do it.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      I think what BC needs is for UMass to fall below the .500 line to they won't be a TUC anymore. UMass losing next weekend would do it.
      yeah, just looking at the schedule and i guess we are big Merrimack fans next weekend.............. I was a little disappointed UVM didnt hold on but at least that sets us up having to play well and stay focused vs UVM and earn a trophy because we know we arent going to get any help from NU next weekend which will really hurt us when they fall out of being a TUC with a certain BU sweep. Is this correct Mookie? ..................................absolutely loved watching the 4th line yesterday especially Smith

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        I was a little disappointed UVM didnt hold on but at least that sets us up having to play well and stay focused vs UVM
        This is the bottom line. The Pairwise and TUC are completely out of BC's control, winning next weekend is in their control. In reality the last few weekends have been must wins for this team and they have responded. As we have seen the last decade and a half, the coaching staff has them focused on winning trophies. It's truly amazing the way Jerry and staff are able to get their players peaking at the right time every year.

Comment

The nice thing for the team, if they win the Hockey East regular season title next weekend, is they will actually get to celebrate it on the ice, at Kelley Rink.. Last year they won it on the last day of the season at UNH. Apparently, only home teams are allowed to be presented with the trophy on the ice. I think it's a little stupid. They should present the trophy to the team that has worked hard all year long to obtain it-- regardless of the venue. Unfortunately, that is not Hockey East's policy.

Comment

Well that was a relaxing game to attend.

Agree with all the comments here on individual performances. Regarding Parker Milner... looking very good, as he did also last week vs Merrimack. Nothing flashy, nothing spectacular, just good solid positioning. I'm feeling very confident with him in net.

Other positives since the line changes... Offensively, these guys are pulling the trigger and putting pucks on net in lieu of the 8 pass pretty play (which often ends up as 8 pretty passes and no SOG). They get the puck out front and they shoot. Thank you.
            Take yesterday's first goal. Whitney breaks over the blue line with a wing on each side. A month ago we pass the puck to death and end up with no SOG. But yesterday, Whitney sees an opening and rips one on net (that's how a goal scorer thinks), high blocker side. GOAL! But, even if Beaudry makes that save it's high blocker side and most likely the goalie can't control that puck. You've got wings each side that can pounce on the rebound and good things can still happen.

It was very nice meeting you both yesterday, Mr. & Mrs. sterlippo1.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
              The nice thing for the team, if they win the Hockey East regular season title next weekend, is they will actually get to celebrate it on the ice, at Kelley Rink.. Last year they won it on the last day of the season at UNH. Apparently, only home teams are allowed to be presented with the trophy on the ice. I think it's a little stupid. They should present the trophy to the team that has worked hard all year long to obtain it-- regardless of the venue. Unfortunately, that is not Hockey East's policy.
              I'm curious as to whether the Eagles would celebrate a RS title on the ice or not. It's a big thing at UNH, but I won't be surprised if the Eagles do their usual salute to the fans and then skate off to the locker room. Bigger fish to fry over the next few weeks.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I know BC fans like to make fun of UNH over their celebrating regular season titles because they have no post season hardware. I think the tournaments are what everyone wants to win, but I think the regular season is something programs should be proud of. It means they were more consistently good than any other team in your conference over the course of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                  I know BC fans like to make fun of UNH over their celebrating regular season titles because they have no post season hardware. I think the tournaments are what everyone wants to win, but I think the regular season is something programs should be proud of. It means they were more consistently good than any other team in your conference over the course of the season.
                  Sort of like when Dan Duquette tried to minimize not making the playoffs by stating that the Red Sox had been in first place longer than any other team all season? It never meant much to me when UNH was always winning the RS titles and it still doesn't mean much to me now that BC has been winning them lately. The HE Tournament title is a million times more prestigious and important.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                    This is the bottom line. The Pairwise and TUC are completely out of BC's control, winning next weekend is in their control. In reality the last few weekends have been must wins for this team and they have responded. As we have seen the last decade and a half, the coaching staff has them focused on winning trophies. It's truly amazing the way Jerry and staff are able to get their players peaking at the right time every year.
                    Imagine if Bill Flynn had signed York earlier but said he didn't have enough experience to coach at BC. We wouldn't have had the debacles of the 90s and even a few more Beanpots and a couple of more NCAA's.
                    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

A combo of 3 points from BC & NU next week will do it. Would've been nice for BU to tie/lose last night so we could clinch only with a win next Friday.

For our resident fanboy attendance expert: BC now has more than a 25% lead on anyone else this year

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        I'm curious as to whether the Eagles would celebrate a RS title on the ice or not. It's a big thing at UNH, but I won't be surprised if the Eagles do their usual salute to the fans and then skate off to the locker room. Bigger fish to fry over the next few weeks.
                        I hadn't thought of that, i wouldn't be surprised if Jerry has 'em do what you say. This is assuming we win of course , not to be a sandbagger or anything.

It was great to meet you too!

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          I think the tournaments are what everyone wants to win, but I think the regular season is something programs should be proud of. It means they were more consistently good than any other team in your conference over the course of the season.
                          I agree with you but i still feel that for the Beanpot schools the HE regular season trophy is #4 in importance on the short list of 4 trophies we go for , just my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            It's nice but the HE Tournament is far more important. It's no big deal to us when we have more important fish to fry when we're used to such higher standards now. We had a much better team last year but they went out with a whimper when CC played the game of their life and routed BC. Maybe this team which has overachieved this year will make the FF this year. It would be great for the seniors on the team.
                            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Based on york's comments, I think it's a big deal to him and the players. I would say, especially with the position they were in after getting swept at maine. To me, it becomes unimportant when you aren't able to back it up, celebrate at the garden and raise the banner.

Since I won't be around for saturday's game, was hoping they could clinch Friday but thanks to UVM blowing it, that prob won't happen. Even more of a reason to put a beatdown on them.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Mookie, so BC should be rooting for a chance at UMass in the playoffs to eliminate them as a TUC? I want UMass anyway...
                                no.

rpi is .25X your winning pct + .75X SOS (sos is .21 opponents winning pct and .54 opponents opponents winning pct made up to get rpi). umass's own winning pct is .4511 and for them to make the playoffs i think they need 4pts (or at least 3). so if they sweep mc and get swept by you that is .500, which will increase their own input into rpi and the four games against mc and you will increase the opponents win pct and bc has the 4th highest SOS so that will increase that component for umass too. if umass makes the playoffs i will bet they remain a tuc.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X