Tournament Speculation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

Not that it will come to this, but how would the selection committee choose which team to compare in the case of a tie in the regional rankings? GAC and UWSP are both tied for 4th in the West. Which one would get the nod to be compared to an eastern team first - is there any objectivity to it?
    Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
    08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
    2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
      Not that it will come to this, but how would the selection committee choose which team to compare in the case of a tie in the regional rankings? GAC and UWSP are both tied for 4th in the West. Which one would get the nod to be compared to an eastern team first - is there any objectivity to it?
      When the committee does the final rankings there won't be ties - they will hammer it out.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        When the committee does the final rankings there won't be ties - they will hammer it out.
        That makes sense.

NCAA Quarterfinals games will be played on a Saturday, correct?

Comment

That makes sense.

NCAA Quarterfinals games will be played on a Saturday, correct?
          Yup
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Well take Utica off your Pool C boards folks...
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

The Pool C picture just got a whole lot murkier.

Elmira, Manhattanville, and Utica all lose in the East while St. Thomas and St. Scholastica also fall out West.

The question is do Bowdoin and Neumann move up in the rankings enough to enter the discussion. Going to be an interesting last set of rankings we get.

Comment

• Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
                The Pool C picture just got a whole lot murkier.

Elmira, Manhattanville, and Utica all lose in the East while St. Thomas and St. Scholastica also fall out West.

The question is do Bowdoin and Neumann move up in the rankings enough to enter the discussion. Going to be an interesting last set of rankings we get.
                I think all the schools that lost yesterday are done. The one exception would be MAYBE Elmira if everyone else holds serve.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                  I think all the schools that lost yesterday are done. The one exception would be MAYBE Elmira if everyone else holds serve.
                  I'm feeling that Elmira is still in an OK spot at this point. One of the Pool C's is already claimed by either Plattsburgh or Oswego - that much is certain. IIRC, the other website had the other 2 Pool C's as Elmira and St. Scholastica (if one of those guys see this post, I'm only seeing the Feb. 15th edition of their projections).

CSS, Elmira, St. Thomas all lost to ranked teams so that should soften the blow a bit. I'm not sure if Elmira will drop in the rankings simply because the two teams below them (Utica, M'ville) lost and the next team after that (Bowdoin) beat an unranked team. Then there's Neumann who did beat two ranked teams this week - obviously including Elmira. I think they'll be in for the biggest jump but I'm not sure they would go all the way from 9 to 5. Middlebury may jump over Bowdoin too with a win over a ranked team. With Stevens Point's victory of CSS, I'm thinking they may actually move up to #2 in the West since they were tied for 4th last week.

At this point, Elmira needs a good amount of help to make it in (if they hold serve at 5 in the East). Bowdoin and Middlebury play each other next week so one of them is going to get another win over a ranked team. Elmira probably needs whichever team is ranked lower to win and then lose to Amherst in the NESCAC finals. They'll also need Hobart to beat Neumann, Norwich and Amherst to win their conferences, and SNC will need to win the NCHA out west.

A lot needs to go right for sure, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

CSS, Elmira, St. Thomas all lost to ranked teams so that should soften the blow a bit.
                    A loss to a ranked team is worse for your NCAA health than a loss to an unranked team
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      A loss to a ranked team is worse for your NCAA health than a loss to an unranked team
                      Always get confused by that.

So nevermind then. Elmira's quite likely done. I won't shed any tears for that.

Comment

Perhaps you are confusing it with SOS?
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I'm not so sure Elmira is quite likely done.

Who gets in over them?

I'd say Elmira is still looking pretty for the #2 Pool C slot if Norwich and Amherst win.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            I'm not so sure Elmira is quite likely done.

Who gets in over them?

I'd say Elmira is still looking pretty for the #2 Pool C slot if Norwich and Amherst win.
                            That was assuming they don't hold serve at 5 in the East.

I'm just getting the feeling that Bowdoin or Middlebury will be getting some big bumps in the rankings. One of them has to win next week - if Midd beats Bowdoin, that's two wins over ranked opponents in a week's time. If Neumann wins next week they will have 3 wins over ranked teams in the last week and a half.

If Elmira ends up at 6 in the final rankings they should be good. It depends on how close Bowdoin, Neumann, and Midd get to them in the rankings, though, since they still can improve their lot.
                            Last edited by nysportsfan29; 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised there's been no talk of Hobart for a Pool C bid should they win the W tourney. What would it be, third in the ecac w regular season and playoff champs? 16 wins?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                                I'm surprised there's been no talk of Hobart for a Pool C bid should they win the W tourney. What would it be, third in the ecac w regular season and playoff champs? 16 wins?
                                The winner of the ECAC W will certainly have a shot along with Elmira as long as Norwich and Amherst win their tourneys.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X