X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Big Ten Icons' To Feature Herb Brooks

'Big Ten Icons' To Feature Herb Brooks

By Paul Rovnak on January 26, 2012

Minnesota's legendary Herb Brooks, who coached the 1980 Olympic hockey team's "Miracle on Ice" after leading the Gophers to three national titles, is profiled Friday in the return of Big Ten Icons. Hosted by Hall of Fame broadcaster Keith Jackson, the first of six new episodes airs at approximately 9:30 p.m. CT, following the Minnesota-St. Cloud State hockey game.

The show includes new one-on-one interviews with former Minnesota hockey standout and Olympic gold medalist Rob McClanahan; 1981 All-American Minnesota forward Steve Ulseth; 1976 National Champion and Most Valuable Player Tom Vannelli; John Gilbert, author of Herb Brooks: The Inside Story of a Hockey Mastermind, and others.

"He's an icon," Vannelli says of Brooks. "He was a Minnesotan. He did it as a player, he did it as a coach, he did it at the pro level; he was the ultimate achiever as a coach."

Brooks, a St. Paul, Minn., native, won three national championships in his seven seasons coaching the University of Minnesota hockey program, including titles in 1974, 1976 and 1979.

McClanahan says of the 1980 medal-round game, "I don't think there's another coach around that would have been ready to take the lead against the Soviet Union with ten minutes to go and be prepared for that. Herbie was, and all he said was, 'play your game.'"

After leaving Minnesota, Brooks coached four NHL teams and the 2002 US Olympic Hockey Team. On the afternoon of Aug. 11, 2003, Brooks tragically died in a single car accident north of the Twin Cities. He was 66 years old. That same year, the entire 1980 Olympic Hockey Team was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

Re: 'Big Ten Icons' To Feature Herb Brooks

Sweet!! will have to DVR this.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

The 1978-1979 National Championship team is arguably the best college hockey program of all time. 9 players from that team went on to the 1980 Miracle On Ice squad.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        The 1978-1979 National Championship team is arguably the best college hockey program of all time. 9 players from that team went on to the 1980 Miracle On Ice squad.
        Agreed.

Comment

And this needed it's own thread, why?

PS: Barry got his Icons show first.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            And this needed it's own thread, why?
            Because I wanted a new thread for it. Feel free to ignore if you're capable

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              Because I wanted a new thread for it. Feel free to ignore if you're capable

Because I WANTED IT! (stamps foot)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Because I WANTED IT! (stamps foot)
                Not really my tone. More like your response

My tone was more a "oh good, this bothered Gurt" (giggles) type of tone.
                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

So since its right before his special can we say winner of tomorrow night's game gets claim of "his team?"
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

When I think "herb brooks" first thing comes to mind is big ten.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      So since its right before his special can we say winner of tomorrow night's game gets claim of "his team?"
                      I think Herbie would want us to share

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        When I think "herb brooks" first thing comes to mind is big ten.
                        I get your point and there's some validity to it, but I'm going to partially dissent.

First, during the 70's a Big Ten Hockey Champion was determined, based on the games played between Minn., Wisc., Mich. & Mich. State. So Brooks actually did compete for Big Ten Titles.

Second, BTN focuses on out-of-conference accomplishments of member schools with some regularity. For example Nebraska history gets some attention, even though everything prior to the current season was non-league.

I, for one, thank JDUBBS for starting the thread. I'm interested in the program and will record. I likely would have missed it but for this thread. There's just so many options on cable/satellite these days, it's impossible to keep track. Yeah, yeah. If that's our biggest problem, life is pretty good. Just saying that the heads up is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          Really? Why not just stick with the team he won NCAA Titles with? Teams that will go down in hockey history as some of the best college teams ever,vs...well,what,exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            I get your point and there's some validity to it, but I'm going to partially dissent.

First, during the 70's a Big Ten Hockey Champion was determined, based on the games played between Minn., Wisc., Mich. & Mich. State. So Brooks actually did compete for Big Ten Titles.

Second, BTN focuses on out-of-conference accomplishments of member schools with some regularity. For example Nebraska history gets some attention, even though everything prior to the current season was non-league.

I, for one, thank JDUBBS for starting the thread. I'm interested in the program and will record. I likely would have missed it but for this thread. There's just so many options on cable/satellite these days, it's impossible to keep track. Yeah, yeah. If that's our biggest problem, life is pretty good. Just saying that the heads up is appreciated.
                            Thanks, and you're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by mahogma View Post
                              Really? Why not just stick with the team he won NCAA Titles with? Teams that will go down in hockey history as some of the best college teams ever,vs...well,what,exactly?
                              What exactly? Isn't he the one that started the SCSU program?
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                              X