Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Damm Catholic schools.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      This will be Maine's fourth appearance in the 16th annual Ice Breaker Tournament. Ticket prices are $40.00 for all two day sessions. Maine hosted the tournament in 2001 at Alfond Arena.
      Well, I'd go, but $40 a pop will keep the curious at home I'll bet, especially in a town that has no college hockey history. This thing would sell out in Orono.

Comment

I made a mistake in a previous post. This is Maine's third appearance in the Ice Breaker Tournament not fourth. I corrected my previous post. Kansa City Stars had Maine appearing for the fourth time. I went to another site listing the history of the tournament and only found Maine in the tournament twice prior to this year. The other appearance was Colorado Springs in 2005.
        Last edited by Runsub5; 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Finally a fun game at Alfond. Maine was all over UMass, right from the start. Good to see a blowout, I doubt tomorrow will be. Wasn't to happy to see Umass gain some confidence in the 3rd, Timmay took his foot off the pedal which when up 6-0 I guess is ok but don't like their goalie getting any confidence for tomorrow.
          Joey's goal was a beauty, too bad he doesn't know enough to say when, when taunted or pushed around. Has to play with a chip on his shoulder but stupid penalties hurt the team.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

So to Wally, and to every other season-ticket holder: what do you guys make of this abrupt turnaround? (Aside from the HUGE improvement in net, which is obvious to us all.)

Is Maine more aggressive on the forecheck, are they less likely to play passively with the lead, are they being physical when the situation calls for it,etc..? And do you notice a sea-change in the coaching approach, in general?

I'd like to hear some specifics from you guys who see so many games. A few weeks back, I in no way, shape or form, saw this coming. (I'm still scratching my head, but I'm having a much better winter all of a sudden.)

Some first-hand analysis would be interesting to read. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              So to Wally, and to every other season-ticket holder: what do you guys make of this abrupt turnaround? (Aside from the HUGE improvement in net, which is obvious to us all.)
              Bob Corkum? The team in general is much more physical, more aggressive and move their feet instead of stabbing at the puck. On the Lowell Broadcast I heard a Nemec hit, I mean hear a Maine hit on a radio broadcast, W T F, that hasn't happened since Prestin. Last night Nemec did the same, plastered a guy in the corner. Flynn, a floater for most of his career, was putting the body to folks and has been since this turnaround started. Its the same players but their is a different attitude.?

Comment

One other thing, Maine could have had 10 or 12 goals last night with the pressure they had on UMass, the 2nd was unreal at times, looked like a PP for minutes at a time.

I expect a tighter game tonight

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Bob Corkum? The team in general is much more physical, more aggressive and move their feet instead of stabbing at the puck. On the Lowell Broadcast I heard a Nemec hit, I mean hear a Maine hit on a radio broadcast, W T F, that hasn't happened since Prestin. Last night Nemec did the same, plastered a guy in the corner. Flynn, a floater for most of his career, was putting the body to folks and has been since this turnaround started. Its the same players but their is a different attitude.?
                  You hit it pretty much right on...physical play and chasing down loose pucks,tighter play in front of their own net,blocked shots...goaltending confidence and a Alfond Arena Attitude(which has been missing)...playing a up-tempo bury the other team...but I also wonder WHY wasn't this in play the first 10-12 games...Pressure on Head Coach that if things didn't change he would be on the outs..? Whatever it is this is the way they should be playing...oh they still have some holes...but if they stay consistant/goaltending and a aggressive style then they'll be a tough bunch to play and beat any night.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Finally a fun game at Alfond. Maine was all over UMass, right from the start. Good to see a blowout, I doubt tomorrow will be. Wasn't to happy to see Umass gain some confidence in the 3rd, Timmay took his foot off the pedal which when up 6-0 I guess is ok but don't like their goalie getting any confidence for tomorrow.
                    Joey's goal was a beauty, too bad he doesn't know enough to say when, when taunted or pushed around. Has to play with a chip on his shoulder but stupid penalties hurt the team.
                    I gotta ask because I am a broken record
                    Joey's penalty was stupid, but Flynn's charge followed by ONeill's cross check wasn't stupid? Joey never put the team down 2 men.

None of Joey's penalties led to UMass goal, and I did not see any of Joey's penalties leading to the bears being so tired that they gave one up soon after a PK.

Joey is also the only one who did or said something to get the refs to call a cross check way after they had swallowed their whistles becuase the guy would just not stop gong after joey till he was lieing on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      I gotta ask because I am a broken record
                      Joey's penalty was stupid, but Flynn's charge followed by ONeill's cross check wasn't stupid? Joey never put the team down 2 men.

None of Joey's penalties led to UMass goal, and I did not see any of Joey's penalties leading to the bears being so tired that they gave one up soon after a PK.

Joey is also the only one who did or said something to get the refs to call a cross check way after they had swallowed their whistles becuase the guy would just not stop gong after joey till he was lieing on the ice.
                      I am a big backer of #39...he brings alot to the game for Maine...but last night that penalty to start the 2nd period was not needed...but at the same time he brings a intense level to the Team,he brings alot of pluses,but once in a while he can hurt his team...it didn't happen last night...all in all I don't want him to change his game,BUT you know and I know there's times for everything....he's a gamer and a improtant cog for Maine...as long as it's mostly on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Is Maine more aggressive on the forecheck, are they less likely to play passively with the lead, are they being physical when the situation calls for it,etc..? And do you notice a sea-change in the coaching approach, in general?

I'd like to hear some specifics from you guys who see so many games. A few weeks back, I in no way, shape or form, saw this coming. (I'm still scratching my head, but I'm having a much better winter all of a sudden.)

Some first-hand analysis would be interesting to read. Thanks.
                        There are a variety of reasons for the turnaround but I doubt Tim is doing anything much different. About 65% of it is goaltending and it all resonates from there. I think there has been great improvement from the start of season from players like Mangene, Beattie, Pryor, O'Connor, the freshman in gen. which takes pressure off the big 3 and really makes this team tough to play against. Defensive core are still spotty on occasion but they are playing more physical. Always a fine line between winning and losing in this league but the see-saw has decidedly swung in our favor. I like this team alot: we have perhaps the top player, top line, and top power play in the nation. With the sched. down the stretch, why can't we win hoc east? I hate to get too far ahead, but there are no power house teams nationally, and we could do damage in the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          I am a big backer of #39...he brings alot to the game for Maine...but last night that penalty to start the 2nd period was not needed...but at the same time he brings a intense level to the Team,he brings alot of pluses,but once in a while he can hurt his team...it didn't happen last night...all in all I don't want him to change his game,BUT you know and I know there's times for everything....he's a gamer and a improtant cog for Maine...as long as it's mostly on the ice.
                          ok... but now compare his penalty with Flynn's penalty last night and in almost every game for the past month or 6 weeks.
                          Diamond is singled out and Brian is given a pass, even though and ONeill are taking many, many more "stupid penalties" in the last 6 weeks.

also.. ONeill and Flynn have NEVER once gotten an opponent to just throw them to the ice and DRAW stupid penalties.

Comment

Burying an opponent in the first was always trademark Maine hawkey. Too bad it took Timmay a decade to figure this out. Or maybe Corkie really does have the reins now. I mean chit you got the loudest and best crowd in the nation in the best atmopshere nationally, why wouldnt you take advantage of that energy level. Simple stuff really.
                            Last edited by acs64; 02-18-2012, 08:18 AM.
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Obviously, much of the success has to do with the maturation and consistency in the goal tending position. Another factor that is hard to quantify, is team confidence and trust in one another. Tim bringing in the freshman class in August (for the first time), unified the team and helped with the transition to college life and hockey. This team believes in one another and players are developing weekly. Without Nyquist, this team seems to know that they have to share the puck and play as a unit to be successful. It's difficult to identify just one or two factors leading to a teams success. I wouldn't give Tim any credit, give it all to Corkum. Tim had all the blame when the team was losing, why give him any credit when the team is winning. By the way, I don't know why the goal by Flynn off Abbott's skate was not a goal. Abbott's skate was moving backward away from the goal when the puck went in the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                Obviously, much of the success has to do with the maturation and consistency in the goal tending position. Another factor that is hard to quantify, is team confidence and trust in one another. Tim bringing in the freshman class in August (for the first time), unified the team and helped with the transition to college life and hockey. This team believes in one another and players are developing weekly. Without Nyquist, this team seems to know that they have to share the puck and play as a unit to be successful. It's difficult to identify just one or two factors leading to a teams success. I wouldn't give Tim any credit, give it all to Corkum. Tim had all the blame when the team was losing, why give him any credit when the team is winning. By the way, I don't know why the goal by Flynn off Abbott's skate was not a goal. Abbott's skate was moving backward away from the goal when the puck went in the net.
                                They ruled a crease violation on Abbott, not the kicking motion? Good point on the abscence of Nyquist. They did depend on him way too much the last couple of years and no one player ever can make a hockey team great. I always use this comparison: the Lady Black Bears b-ball team never won an NCAA tournament game until the year after Cindy Blodgett left.

Comment

Working...
                                X