Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

So Maine loses to a team they should have beat then come out and beat the No. 1 team in the Pairwise...

Good win for the Black Bears. Beattie and Sullivan were the two best players by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
      So Maine loses to a team they should have beat then come out and beat the No. 1 team in the Pairwise...

Good win for the Black Bears. Beattie and Sullivan were the two best players by quite a bit.
      Can't get a grasp on this team...up to 6th in the pairwise for now.
      Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Agreed, Sully stole the game for the boys tonight. Didn't watch a ton, when I did, it was rather boring tonight.

For something sweet to see, check out this beauty hit from Ramage on Wisco.(for those who missed it)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVYug0nlw8&sns=fb

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Maine won for anyone that cares.
          I care and TYVM for the news. No score thread or anything for a huge game like this..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I care and TYVM for the news. No score thread or anything for a huge game like this..?
            Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine,
            This Black Bear Team has Struck Again!
            Tonight was Payback for a Distant November,
            And Now the Number "1" has been Dismembered!
            To The Hockey Gods We Give Thanks and Praise,
            For Maine! The College of Our Hearts Always!

Comment

Add Mangene to that list. But Beattie and his line had a strong night. Shemansky much stronger on his skates this year. Maine survived the 1st period and got the counter punch goal and then dominated the 2nd and if not for the perfect backdoor ppg goal on the Beattie to Mangene pass could have been 1-1. Sullivan, who I am guessing was not solid last night, certainly was tonight! Some big saves, one on a breakaway, and one with 14 seconds left, somehow getting his right pad on a shot.

Really a methodical road win as in the 3rd they really did not allow Lowell to have any sustained pressure as they forechecked and cycled the puck down low. Missed a couple of chances to build on it, especially Diamond. Higgins was strong on the last two face-offs and credit to the Swedes who played well and actually threw their body tonight, Leidermark came close to getting one in the 3rd by driving to the net and also won some key face-offs.

Now no messing around next weekend they need 4 points as BC has 2 with Merrimack and BU has 2 with Lowell. Hey this is fun again!
              Last edited by BobF; 02-11-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Well the negatives first: I thought besides a shift or 2 the top line was invisible. Not a good showing.

Having said that....big props to the boys for finding a way to win a 2-1 game against a good team. I think that's been a big question...they can score, can they win a 2-1 game against a good team? Answer is yes. VERY encouraging showing by the D. Very much improved and what I felt was a much much cleaner, calmer and more controlled third period than the one they played at BU 3 weeks ago.

Maybe the best I've seen Sully play. He's growing up in front of our eyes.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Twitter has made update threads as irrelevant as polls.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Well the negatives first: I thought besides a shift or 2 the top line was invisible. Not a good showing.

Having said that....big props to the boys for finding a way to win a 2-1 game against a good team. I think that's been a big question...they can score, can they win a 2-1 game against a good team? Answer is yes. VERY encouraging showing by the D. Very much improved and what I felt was a much much cleaner, calmer and more controlled third period than the one they played at BU 3 weeks ago.

Maybe the best I've seen Sully play. He's growing up in front of our eyes.
                    I didn't get to listen tonight so I was literally shocked when I got home and checked the box score. I figured if Maine was going to win it would be 4-3 or 5-4 with two or more PP goals. Never would have pegged 2-1 while giving up 36(?) shots. Not vs Lowell. That's three big road wins this year. I still think they need to get home ice in order to make it to the Garden, but maybe they can still go to the big show if they don't. Northeastern, UMass, and UNH are all above the TUC line w/ Providence closing in. 4-1 the rest of the way with the loss coming from Northeastern, I think they'll make it.

Comment

Originally posted by chripy View Post
                      I didn't get to listen tonight so I was literally shocked when I got home and checked the box score. I figured if Maine was going to win it would be 4-3 or 5-4 with two or more PP goals. Never would have pegged 2-1 while giving up 36(?) shots. Not vs Lowell. That's three big road wins this year. I still think they need to get home ice in order to make it to the Garden, but maybe they can still go to the big show if they don't. Northeastern, UMass, and UNH are all above the TUC line w/ Providence closing in. 4-1 the rest of the way with the loss coming from Northeastern, I think they'll make it.
                      PC is a TUC right now.

I was happy to see OConnor on the "top" pair with ONeill. Lots of mistakes by the Maine D in their own end and by everyone in the neutral zone.

I have nothing bad to say about Whitehead.. I have changed my mind.
                      He is obviously listening to those around him who have things to offer and he is putting things together in ways that he never did before.

I can remember Lowell winning exactly one face off all night tonight, cleanly.
                      I still cannot figure out how they think that 3 or 4 guys on every loose puck is a good idea, with absolutely nobody on the weak side, ever. It worked.... tonight

Comment

highlights from lowell's website... hell of a pass by beattie on the game winner

Comment

Playing the "what if" game with the remaining games on the schedule vs. BU, BC, Lowell and Merrimack remaining schedules:

I'm going to use a "worst case" scenario where Maine goes 3-2 (NU split, UNH loss) the rest of the way and finishes with 32 points.

BU: 5-1 (Lowell split) finishes with 37 points.
                          BC: 4-2 (Merrimack split, Providence split) finishes with 35 points.
                          Lowell: 3-3 (BU split, Merrimack split, Providence split) finishes with 34 points.
                          Merrimack: 4-2 (BC split, Lowell split) finishes with 34 points.

That Providence loss is looming mighty big right now........but I'm guessing that Merrimack and Lowell may have a rougher time of it than I predict. Providence is coming on strong and could really help Maine's cause. We have to root for BU and BC as well (ugh).

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                            PC is a TUC right now.

I was happy to see OConnor on the "top" pair with ONeill. Lots of mistakes by the Maine D in their own end and by everyone in the neutral zone.

I have nothing bad to say about Whitehead.. I have changed my mind.
                            He is obviously listening to those around him who have things to offer and he is putting things together in ways that he never did before.

I can remember Lowell winning exactly one face off all night tonight, cleanly.
                            I still cannot figure out how they think that 3 or 4 guys on every loose puck is a good idea, with absolutely nobody on the weak side, ever. It worked.... tonight
                            1. Who are you and what have you done to KIA, you fiend?

2. Nice to see Maine in the national mix again- it's been a while- and I agree that it really doesn't matter who is responsible, as long as he keeps it up, and sticks around.

3. I like O'Connor too. If nothing else, he has the wheels and the will to recover from a mistake, unlike half the Maine D. I think he's going to be a standout next year.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Twitter has made update threads as irrelevant as polls.
                              I refuse to do Twitter... Gotta draw the line somewhere, or spend every waking hour staring at the phone, as opposed to just half of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                                highlights from lowell's website... hell of a pass by beattie on the game winner

Thanks for the link; it was a fun watch. Several friends of mine will wake up with something good to have with their morning coffee tomorrow as a result of your effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X