Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Never saw that movie. Think it was just before Mel lost it..?

Can't believe that Shawn would trot that out for a hockey game, even if Maine was playing Al Queda that night... Seems a bit over the top to me.

I wonder how many guys in that locker room rolled their eyes, then went out and won it anyway.
    Pretty sure bbb was being sarcastic with that quote.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Join the Black Bears of Boston at the Brewery Exchange in Lowell for a pre-game event at 4:30 on Saturday. The Brewery Exchange is located at 201 Cabot St. Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Pretty sure bbb was being sarcastic with that quote.
        I didn't get it, but that's not unusual... Kinda glad to hear that Shawn didn't actually go there.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          And thats exactly the challenge Walshy used to embrace for his teams. Must win situations to prepare them for the playoffs. My o my, havent our goals been minimized by our current staff.
          I have gotten the impression that the UAH weekend was a kinda-sorta favor to Huntsville, since they were having trouble scheduling games at the 11th hour. I certainly could be wrong about that, but I wouldn't ask them up again, nor Bentley, nor Air Force, et al.

I'd rather see a MN-Duluth in Orono anytime, or a good HEA rival.

Playing a good team, win or lose, is somewhat worthwhile no matter what, whereas UAH and the like will not help you out one iota if you beat them, and will kick you really hard in the sack if you drop the ball. There's just no good reason to ever put yourself in that situation, IMO.

It's not about dodging tough opponents... It's all about the PW (as we all know) and the PW punishes under-scheduling very severely when things don't go as predicted.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-09-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I didn't get it, but that's not unusual... Kinda glad to hear that Shawn didn't actually go there.
            I don't know, thats one of the greatest movies ever made, why not quote from the best
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I have gotten the impression that the UAH weekend was a kinda-sorta favor to Huntsville, since they were having trouble scheduling games at the 11th hour. I certainly could be wrong about that, but I wouldn't ask them up again, nor Bentley, nor Air Force, et al.

I'd rather see a MN-Duluth in Orono anytime, or a good HEA rival.

Playing a good team, win or lose, is somewhat worthwhile no matter what, whereas UAH and the like will not help you out one iota if you beat them, and will kick you really hard in the sack if you drop the ball. There's just no good reason to ever put yourself in that situation, IMO.

It's not about dodging tough opponents... It's all about the PW (as we all know) and the PW punishes under-scheduling very severely when things don't go as predicted.
              Have you looked at the schedules from before? Sure we played a couple of tough teams (Denver, NoDak, Minnesota, Michigan, State) but we mostly played softies. My first game was against that powerhouse from Kent State. We also played Miami, Army, Fairbanks, Western Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Bowling Green and Brown in my time at Maine. The tough games were Wisconsin, State, Lake Superior, Yale and Clarkson.

As for Alabama-Huntsville, it was a favor because they have a crappy schedule particularly after the New Year. People in Orono better get used to seeing them because they're coming back next year (probably around Thanksgiving) and likely the year after that. Hopefully UAH will find a home in a conference and it will no longer be as necessary to help them with scheduling, but as long as they need help expect Maine to help them. Considering it was Shawn who started scheduling them I don't think it is a leap to suggest this is what he would have wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                As for Alabama-Huntsville, it was a favor because they have a crappy schedule particularly after the New Year. People in Orono better get used to seeing them because they're coming back next year (probably around Thanksgiving) and likely the year after that. Hopefully UAH will find a home in a conference and it will no longer be as necessary to help them with scheduling, but as long as they need help expect Maine to help them. Considering it was Shawn who started scheduling them I don't think it is a leap to suggest this is what he would have wanted.
                Maine has always been pretty good about scheduling new programs, Nebraska-Omaha was a fixture for a while when they were in the early going in the CCHA.

Comment

Scheduling UAH this season was done out of necessity after the Fenway game became a reality and they had to cancel the series with UNO.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Maine has always been pretty good about scheduling new programs, Nebraska-Omaha was a fixture for a while when they were in the early going in the CCHA.
                    This is true. And its a program like UAH that gives you particular fits...not real talented but very scrappy and usually with a goalie playing over his head, or sometimes with a goalie that is very good. A different type of challenge for a team like Maine to learn to deal with. Another learning tool when it comes tourney time.

And Rich...no, I dont know what Walshy said to the team at the end of 99. Go skin a Cat ??
                    Last edited by acs64; 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM.
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      This is true. And its a program like UAH that gives you partiuclar fits...not real talented but very scrappy and usually with a goalie playing over his head, or sometimes with a goalie that is very good. A different type of challenge for a team like Maine to learn to deal with. Another learning tool when it comes tourney time.

And Rich...no, I dont know what Walshy said to the team at the end of 99. Go skin a Cat ??
                      I thought he might have been referring to the "this is THEIR rivalry, not ours" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Have you looked at the schedules from before? Sure we played a couple of tough teams (Denver, NoDak, Minnesota, Michigan, State) but we mostly played softies. My first game was against that powerhouse from Kent State. We also played Miami, Army, Fairbanks, Western Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Bowling Green and Brown in my time at Maine. The tough games were Wisconsin, State, Lake Superior, Yale and Clarkson.

maybe it was meant to be interim help... not forever help.
                        and we mostly played softies...
                        MAN!
                        so what was the verdict with your visit with the AAD?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                          I thought he might have been referring to the "this is THEIR rivalry, not ours" thing.
                          Walsh never thought of UNH as a rivalry? You dont say. I think he disliked their rudeness, or so I am told
                          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                            Walsh never thought of UNH as a rivalry? You dont say. I think he disliked their rudeness, or so I am told
                            I don't think any long time fan thinks UNH is "the rivalry"
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              No of course not. That was tongue in cheek. Doh Walrus
                              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Amen to that!

When Walsh was around:

1. BU
                                2. BC
                                3. UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X