Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Cup

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
    Wouldn't be at the X, thats an easy one.

Since Hockey day currently uses multiple sites (HS-College-pro), and the Mooch sits empty all day until 5PM theres plenty of time for a game in the afternoon, 1 semi-championship played in the evening.

Good point about UND-UW not interested in a solo game.

As far as MN getting bounced early? I have absolutely no idea how they are planning this. I don't think there can rightfully be a "cup" if its the Gophs to lose every year, so your guess is as good as mine.

Theres no better time to host it than Hockey Day Minnesota, many other programs have been complaining that their program gets no exposure on that day (rightfully so). The location debate can be applied as it stands without the Hockey Day scenario.
    It can't be on College Hockey Day Minnesota.

If this is a real tournament, the championship game will be last on Saturday. If the Gophs aren't in it, sucky, but its a Saturday, Saturday afternoon games shouldn't have horrible attendance issues, and hell, get 'em liquored up at that game and why would they then wanna leave and miss the championship? Besides, you've already got their money if they do.

So the reason it couldn't be Hockey Day Minnesota is you can't have two possible times the Gophers could play at. Sorry, but and SCSU-UMD championship would be a BUZZKILL for FSN. Plus you'd need to clear off the ice real quick if the Wild are gonna play, unless you let them have an away game (the Gophers have played away games before on Hockey Day), but then you'd have to have the Championship game early enough to start the Wild game with only a bit of a delay.

As for having UND or UW come in, it would only work if you scheduled them twice, but then you'd have uber early afternoon games and split the pie up six ways.

And were you at the Showcase Minnesota thing a few years ago? Judging by the attendance, you probably weren't. It didn't go over well, so while you say that this tournament will certainly drum up attention for Hockey Day Minnesota... let's hope it does but it likely might not.

Again, I loved the idea initially, but once you look at the logistics, can't happen.
    Last edited by SCSU Euro; 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      If the Gophers programs lose money they surely will ONLY schedule non conference opponents at home. Everybody in the state should want them to make money and to a certain level succeed. If they don't make money the Gophers will never schedule non conference games ever again for any sport. Over time the state legislature will not continue to fund a poorly run athletic department. Goofball Maturi brags and brags about how he has balanced the university of Minnesota athletic department. He knows if they lose money the school cuts programs and schedules more non conference schools at home.

Another point, ask your local state rep or senator who funds the Gophers school and athletic department? The tax payer, which is our state government. If the University of Minnesota asks for a new stadium or a research facility the state goverment will try to grant them their wish. ie. TCF Bank Stadium comes to mind. Obviously, many times they don't get their wish but the state does try to help the University of Minnesota out with all their problems of course the school can try the private donation route. Pure and simple in my opinion the state legislature looks at the University of Minnesota as the most important Minnesota athletic department in the state.
      I get all of the issues about funding the U's athletic department, but that means nothing to MnSCU schools.

Also, remember, the U doesn't dictate to anyone that they will ONLY play home games. The opposing team has to agree to it. The opposing team is going to need some kind of ***-for-tat type of an agreement. Either the U pays teams money or they make a return trip. Otherwise there is no advantage to anyone else.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        Allegedly the X would be a home ice advantage (despite the fact that the ice size is different and the other MN teams have plenty of fans within distance of attending).
        Let me first state that it is obvious that a tournament like this would be held in the Twin Cities. There's no place else that makes any sense. That having been said, to pretend that there's no home ice advantage for the Gophers is either Naïve or disingenuous. Twice Mankato held "home" games against U of M at the X. Both times, the crowd was 95% Maroon and Gold.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          Let me first state that it is obvious that a tournament like this would be held in the Twin Cities. There's no place else that makes any sense. That having been said, to pretend that there's no home ice advantage for the Gophers is either Naïve or disingenuous. Twice Mankato held "home" games against U of M at the X. Both times, the crowd was 95% Maroon and Gold.
          Look at each and every USA vs Canada game when the WJC has been held in the United States. The crowds are always more pro Canadian. Why? Because they have a bigger fan base and they travel.

The location of the event wouldn't be the main reason why you'd see predominately Gopher fans in the stands.

Comment

Look at each and every USA vs Canada game when the WJC has been held in the United States. The crowds are always more pro Canadian. Why? Because they have a bigger fan base and they travel.

The location of the event wouldn't be the main reason why you'd see predominately Gopher fans in the stands.
            Sure it is. During games in Kato against the Gophers, its probably 60/40 in favor of the Mavs. In the Twin Cities it's 90/10 for the Gophers at best. To say that location isn't the main reason is just flat out false. Add in the travel time (which is 1.5 hours vs MAYBE 20 minutes) and that equates to a de facto home game for MN.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              It can't be on College Hockey Day Minnesota.

If this is a real tournament, the championship game will be last on Saturday. If the Gophs aren't in it, sucky, but its a Saturday, Saturday afternoon games shouldn't have horrible attendance issues, and hell, get 'em liquored up at that game and why would they then wanna leave and miss the championship? Besides, you've already got their money if they do.

So the reason it couldn't be Hockey Day Minnesota is you can't have two possible times the Gophers could play at. Sorry, but and SCSU-UMD championship would be a BUZZKILL for FSN. Plus you'd need to clear off the ice real quick if the Wild are gonna play, unless you let them have an away game (the Gophers have played away games before on Hockey Day), but then you'd have to have the Championship game early enough to start the Wild game with only a bit of a delay.

As for having UND or UW come in, it would only work if you scheduled them twice, but then you'd have uber early afternoon games and split the pie up six ways.

And were you at the Showcase Minnesota thing a few years ago? Judging by the attendance, you probably weren't. It didn't go over well, so while you say that this tournament will certainly drum up attention for Hockey Day Minnesota... let's hope it does but it likely might not.

Again, I loved the idea initially, but once you look at the logistics, can't happen.

I didn't know it was to be played at the X, which pretty much squashes the Hockey day idea.

The question keeps being asked 'What if the Gophers lose early, how will that play out with FSN etc" Has it been determined that this will be covered by FSN? BTN has aiready covered many non BT games (namely the Gophs-Badger games). I could be wrong but wouldn't BTN have first crack at it if they're interested?

My point, not that it matters since its at the X, was that IF it were on Hockey Day, it would bring alot more coverage to those other programs. I dont know what the ratings are for the games but everyone I know is either at the games or watching them. Getting SCSU, UMD, BSU and MSU involved with that event imo should happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                If the Gophers programs lose money they surely will ONLY schedule non conference opponents at home. Everybody in the state should want them to make money and to a certain level succeed. If they don't make money the Gophers will never schedule non conference games ever again for any sport. Over time the state legislature will not continue to fund a poorly run athletic department. Goofball Maturi brags and brags about how he has balanced the university of Minnesota athletic department. He knows if they lose money the school cuts programs and schedules more non conference schools at home.

Another point, ask your local state rep or senator who funds the Gophers school and athletic department? The tax payer, which is our state government. If the University of Minnesota asks for a new stadium or a research facility the state goverment will try to grant them their wish. ie. TCF Bank Stadium comes to mind. Obviously, many times they don't get their wish but the state does try to help the University of Minnesota out with all their problems of course the school can try the private donation route. Pure and simple in my opinion the state legislature looks at the University of Minnesota as the most important Minnesota athletic department in the state.
                You said the following:

If by chance the athletic department loses money it hurts the rest of the schools in the state of Minnesota

Are you that delusional to think that in the grand scheme of the MnSCU system, the amount of money that they have to spend is in any way affected by the success of the U of M athletic department?

This is seriously one of the most preposterous things I have read on this board, especially since the Gophers have been struggling in football and basketball for the past five years. According to your logic, dozens of sports teams must have been eliminated over that time period.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  Sure it is. During games in Kato against the Gophers, its probably 60/40 in favor of the Mavs. In the Twin Cities it's 90/10 for the Gophers at best. To say that location isn't the main reason is just flat out false. Add in the travel time (which is 1.5 hours vs MAYBE 20 minutes) and that equates to a de facto home game for MN.
                  Find a venue in Mankato, St Cloud, or UMD that has the necessary capacity and I would have no problems with them playing there.

And I'd be there.

Point is. There will be no reserved season ticket seats for Gopher fans. It will be first come first serve for tickets. Will it be a majority Gopher fans? Probably, but there is every opportunity for it not to be. And the people who will perplex me the most will be the ones complaining about it being a Gopher advantage (some whom will be living in the Twin Cities), but won't be at the games.

Comment

Looks like the NCHC is looking to host the Conference Semis & finals in the Xcel.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/27/sche...rnament-venue/

The leading venue in that regard is rumored to be the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn., which is the current tournament home for the WCHA.
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      Looks like the NCHC is looking to host the Conference Semis & finals in the Xcel.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/27/sche...rnament-venue/
                      Best arena in the world.

Comment

Find a venue in Mankato, St Cloud, or UMD that has the necessary capacity and I would have no problems with them playing there.

And I'd be there.

Point is. There will be no reserved season ticket seats for Gopher fans. It will be first come first serve for tickets. Will it be a majority Gopher fans? Probably, but there is every opportunity for it not to be. And the people who will perplex me the most will be the ones complaining about it being a Gopher advantage (some whom will be living in the Twin Cities), but won't be at the games.
                        I think you're mis-reading my belief as a complaint. Frankly, I don't care where it is. It's technically a neutral site. It doesn't really matter that it's an advantage for the Gophers. As long as the tickets are sold and all the schools benefit from it, I'm happy. I'm past the point of caring about the minor issues like this. There are much bigger roadblocks facing MSU and BSU than whether a crowd is pro-Gopher or anti-Gopher.

The thing that bugs me is when it's used by Gopher fans as an alibi for not playing well when everyone else has the same issues (MSU plays on the big sheet of ice too). I've heard the excuses for Gophers losing way too often in the past couple of years. That's more of an issue between one teams fans and another's fans. It's not a real issue, just fodder to lob back and forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                          I think you're mis-reading my belief as a complaint. Frankly, I don't care where it is. It's technically a neutral site. It doesn't really matter that it's an advantage for the Gophers. As long as the tickets are sold and all the schools benefit from it, I'm happy. I'm past the point of caring about the minor issues like this. There are much bigger roadblocks facing MSU and BSU than whether a crowd is pro-Gopher or anti-Gopher.

The thing that bugs me is when it's used by Gopher fans as an alibi for not playing well when everyone else has the same issues (MSU plays on the big sheet of ice too). I've heard the excuses for Gophers losing way too often in the past couple of years. That's more of an issue between one teams fans and another's fans. It's not a real issue, just fodder to lob back and forth.
                          Got it. Thanks for clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post

Not saying you're lying but never once have I heard a Goph fan use the sheet of ice as an axcuse, reason or allibi for poor performance (We've had season tickets in the fam for over 50yrs). But I do know many Gopher fans that will say Don Lucia doesn't have a clue on how to motivate his boys, and many say that Guentzel's return, John Hill's departure and the Gophs success this year isn't coincedental.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                              Not saying you're lying but never once have I heard a Goph fan use the sheet of ice as an axcuse, reason or allibi for poor performance (We've had season tickets in the fam for over 50yrs). But I do know many Gopher fans that will say Don Lucia doesn't have a clue on how to motivate his boys, and many say that Guentzel's return, John Hill's departure and the Gophs success this year isn't coincedental.
                              That's kinda how I was taking JDUBBS comments about Xcel. I've heard that reason so often as a reason that it's "not a home game" that I've started looking at it as a reason for people to act like it's a huge issue for the Gophers to leave Mariucci. The way that I've heard it pose is to use it as a reason that it's so difficult for MN to win at Xcel. Maybe I'm reading it wrong in the way people mean it, but it's a roundabout way to come up with an excuse in my book.

Comment

I can't wait for this tourny - Pre and post game at Alary's free shuttle bus... what more can you want other then hot women wearing nothing, cheep drinks, and good times with the Twin Cities Finest...

Didn't they once a one game series like this a couple of years ago (I vaguely remember it due to too much of Alarys fun) at the X all 4 Minnesota teams played????
                                - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Go you Green and White
                                Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Fight with all your might!
                                Rah! Rah! Rah!
                                We are here to cheer you
                                We are out to win your fame,
                                So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Working...
                                X