College Hockey and TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey and TV...

I'm kind of surprised that nobody is talking about what we got to see on Friday. Regular season, 3 games, none of which on Fox. And on top of that, the NHL show that was after the UNO-UMD game had a lot of college hockey coverage (including the 2nd star of the night being a player from UM-D...).

I can recall a few times where we saw one game on Fox, and then maybe one game on BTN. But Friday in SE MI, we got UM-OSU on BTN, WMU-ND on CBS, and UNO-UMD on NBC Sports. Plus extra highlights from other regional games on NHL Overtime, which showed after the Friday Night College Hockey game.

Most I've seen college hockey on TV ever at the same time. Especially since none of them involved a Fox channel.

That could be big for us.

Re: College Hockey and TV...

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that nobody is talking about what we got to see on Friday. Regular season, 3 games, none of which on Fox. And on top of that, the NHL show that was after the UNO-UMD game had a lot of college hockey coverage (including the 2nd star of the night being a player from UM-D...).

I can recall a few times where we saw one game on Fox, and then maybe one game on BTN. But Friday in SE MI, we got UM-OSU on BTN, WMU-ND on CBS, and UNO-UMD on NBC Sports. Plus extra highlights from other regional games on NHL Overtime, which showed after the Friday Night College Hockey game.

Most I've seen college hockey on TV ever at the same time. Especially since none of them involved a Fox channel.

Add to that the Northeastern-BU game, Minnesota-North Dakota game and Denver-Bemidji game (assuming you have some sort of sports pack to get the other Fox channels and NESN) and it was a jam-packed evening of college hockey.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I can recall a few times where we saw one game on Fox, and then maybe one game on BTN. But Friday in SE MI, we got UM-OSU on BTN, WMU-
      ND on CBS, and UNO-UMD on NBC Sports. Plus extra highlights from other regional games on NHL Overtime, which showed after the Friday Night College Hockey game.

Most I've seen college hockey on TV ever at the same time. Especially since none of them involved a Fox channel

I loved seeing my team on NBC Sports Network. JT picked a hell of a night to net a hat trick on national tv with tons of scouts in attendance. Great to see more college hockey on tv
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Fox has been doing it for years, as has BTN, and we knew NBC Sports was going to cover it (no idea it would be a major part of the NHL show, though).

Didn't have a clue that CBS Sports was going to start cover, too...

Oh, about that CBS game- was that a regional thing, or did people in the east and west get to see it, too? So you got was FN23 posted- the 3 non Fox, plus the regional Fox game?

Very cool.

It was great to see the other two games, but the real action happened while the UM-OSU game was finishing.... So I missed it. Made commercial breaks very easy to deal with, that's for sure.

Comment

Didn't have a clue that CBS Sports was going to start cover, too...

Oh, about that CBS game- was that a regional thing, or did people in the east and west get to see it, too?
          CBS Sports Net was a national thing. One of the UM/ND games this weekend is on as well. One night it's NBC Sports Network, and one is CBS Sports Network.

Comment

CBS College Sports, formerly CSTV, has probably been doing college hockey for 7-10 years.
            College hockey coverage picks up each January, once college football ends. The new item this year is the Versus/NBC Sports coverage.

On the best nights, we have
            National Game - CBS College Sports
            National Game - NBC/Versus
            Hockey East - NESN
            Big 10 - B10
            CCHA - Fox Sports Detroit
            Minnesota - Fox Sports North
            Denver - Fox Sports Rocky Mountain/Root
            Wisconsin - Fox Sports Wisconsin
            North Dakota - Fox Sports

Comment

For those in Minnesota with the right cable package there are three games on Fri and Sat with some regularity. The Gophers on FSN, Bemidji (if at home) on the "MN" channel (a digital PBS station, 8.4 in Duluth), and either SCSU or Mankato (whichever is home) on Charter Main Street/Mediacom channel. For those in Duluth, there can be a fourth due to local coverage of home UMD games.
              SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
              UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
              Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
              Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
              UMD Football: 2008, 2010
              UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                CBS College Sports, formerly CSTV, has probably been doing college hockey for 7-10 years.
                College hockey coverage picks up each January, once college football ends. The new item this year is the Versus/NBC Sports coverage.

On the best nights, we have
                National Game - CBS College Sports
                National Game - NBC/Versus
                Hockey East - NESN
                Big 10 - B10
                CCHA - Fox Sports Detroit
                Minnesota - Fox Sports North
                Denver - Fox Sports Rocky Mountain/Root
                Wisconsin - Fox Sports Wisconsin
                North Dakota - Fox Sports
                CSTV = Comcast Sports, right?

If so, I thought that was even more regional than Fox is/was. In terms of "age" I would put that 7-10 years under the NBC Sports banner, since Comcast and NBC are the same. It's nice to see them be much more national now.

On a side note- we have Fox, CBS, and NBC. Plus B10 and NESN. Where's ABC? Oh, covering basketball until they *have* to show hockey in March....

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                  For those in Minnesota with the right cable package there are three games on Fri and Sat with some regularity. The Gophers on FSN, Bemidji (if at home) on the "MN" channel (a digital PBS station, 8.4 in Duluth), and either SCSU or Mankato (whichever is home) on Charter Main Street/Mediacom channel. For those in Duluth, there can be a fourth due to local coverage of home UMD games.
                  It's one thing to get three games based on very regional channels. It's entirely different to get 3 games where all the channels are national sports channels. Great that you can get 3 games in Minnesota for a while now. IMHO, it's big news that you can get 3 national games in, say, LA, if you chose to. Far more people *could* watch 3 games than have had in the past.

We keep talking about expansion, and when college hockey finally gets 3 national games on at the same time all over the country, it should be a big deal.

Comment

If only ESPN hadn't bought the championship rights... I could see NBC marketing the heck out of that event.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      If only ESPN hadn't bought the championship rights... I could see NBC marketing the heck out of that event.
                      1080p cameras can be had for a song these days. Hopefully as production costs continue to plummet and video consumption continues to migrate towards an a la carte internet delivery model, everyone will be able to see their game whenever they want it.

Comment

CSTV = Comcast Sports, right?

If so, I thought that was even more regional than Fox is/was. In terms of "age" I would put that 7-10 years under the NBC Sports banner, since Comcast and NBC are the same. It's nice to see them be much more national now.

On a side note- we have Fox, CBS, and NBC. Plus B10 and NESN. Where's ABC? Oh, covering basketball until they *have* to show hockey in March....
                        Old CSTV = CBS College Sports owned by CBS

Old Versus = NBC Sports Network owned by Comcast/NBC
                        Last edited by du78; 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

How has the game coverage been on NBC Sports? I have yet to catch a game on there... Have seen plenty of commercials for the Friday night games during NHL coverage however... They seem to be doing a real good job of making this a focal point of their hockey package...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            How has the game coverage been on NBC Sports? I have yet to catch a game on there... Have seen plenty of commercials for the Friday night games during NHL coverage however... They seem to be doing a real good job of making this a focal point of their hockey package...
                            The UNO/UMD game looked pretty good. I didn't see RPI/Dartmouth as I was playing with the band (and my laptop is down so I couldn't set up the TV Tuner card to record it, and no blank tapes for setting up the VCR).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              The UNO/UMD game looked pretty good. I didn't see RPI/Dartmouth as I was playing with the band (and my laptop is down so I couldn't set up the TV Tuner card to record it, and no blank tapes for setting up the VCR).
                              I watched some of the RPI Dartmouth game and though it looked good although it was clearly in a smaller venue than the UNO game and this came across on TV. Not a quibble, just something I noticed as the camera angles were lower and the crowd noise was more tinny.

Loved seeing a game televised from a venue that I never get to see the inside of though.

Comment

Working...
                              X