Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey and TV...

Originally posted by Umileated View Post
    Would you reckon that the networks as prepping for a possible NHL lockout next year by feeling out the college hockey market?
    Possible, but I would think they would also be gearing up for major junior teams as well. And I don't see much easy market for NHL markets south of the mason-dixon line. well, UAH excluded. Not sure what NCAA team fans from Dallas would want to watch....

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Wouldn't the AHL make a better target?

Maybe you're right though, and that's a reason that ESPN International let the rights walk in Europe and instead started picking up AHL games for the ESPN America feed?
      I was on hockey hiatus during the first lockout (good timing). I do know that with exceptions in institutions like Hershey, almost all AHL contracts are held by the parent clubs. From that, I assumed that the AHL would also be affected by a lockout.

Major Juniors would also be neat, but I would see that working better in the Canadian Markets. USHL games could perhaps work, but I get the sense that it's a smaller institution than D1, with less teams and a smaller overall schedule.

Or, maybe college hockey is actually gaining traction on its own. Large events like Frozen Fenway and Red Hot Hockey are showing that alumni are interested in keeping in touch with their Almas. Even without a lockout, messy negotiations can leave a fan base with a bad taste in its mouth and looking for a "more wholesome" league.
      Hit Somebody!

Comment

I caught the UM ND game on saturday. Loved the coverage. But one note to ND. Get a lighter 'Gold' jersey. I couldn't tell the players apart. UM wore their blues and ND's gold appeared just as dark on TV. It was frustrating. "It's a breakaway,...opps, it was an Irish player."
        No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Or, maybe college hockey is actually gaining traction on its own. Large events like Frozen Fenway and Red Hot Hockey are showing that alumni are interested in keeping in touch with their Almas. Even without a lockout, messy negotiations can leave a fan base with a bad taste in its mouth and looking for a "more wholesome" league.
          Well, 25,000 people just went to an outdoor game in freaking Cleaveland, Ohio- where the closest college team is at least an hour away (Bowling Green, I think, is closer than Columbus). Seems as if college hockey IS getting some traction. May not last. But we are benefiting by it right now.

Comment

I was on hockey hiatus during the first lockout (good timing). I do know that with exceptions in institutions like Hershey, almost all AHL contracts are held by the parent clubs. From that, I assumed that the AHL would also be affected by a lockout.
            Nope, all the AHL clubs operated, with NHL'ers even choosing to play in the AHL. It was mostly business as usual except for the influx of extra vets who wanted to play. And without the annoyance of call-ups.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Watching Wisconsin v. North Dakota, but also have Cornell/Colgate, Harvard/Yale and Those That Will Not Be Named/St. Cloud.

GREAT night of hockey on the telly! Hope this keeps up in the future.

Comment

Caught the last 3 minutes of Harvard/Yale. Never thought Bright Hockey Center would be so TV friendly given how small it is - I like the low angles and the rink audio. Our house is a UNH/Cornell one, so we were far more distracted by those two matchups. (NESN, CBS Sports).
                Hit Somebody!

Comment

I really have to give props to the NBC Sports Network coverage of Yale at Harvard. (Watched it between periods and following the Northeastern at Vermont vidstream.) Really top-notch production in terms of both video and play-by-play/color commentary. Helped that they had a good game that didn't get decided until the last couple of mins. Continued exposure of college hockey on a national network like this can only help.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I was flipping back and forth all night. Stayed tuned to watch "Gate hold off Cornell, then watched the end of the Harvard/Yale game. The CBS channel even had the ticker at the bottom so I knew that OSU, Miami and MSU had all lost. Good hockey all around.
                    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I caught about half of the third period of the Yale @ Harvard game. Exciting finish, good coverage by NBC Sports. Glad they're on board with college hockey!
                      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

For those in NYS, it looks like they're simulcasting RPI/CCT across most of the Time Warner sports feeds.

Comment

Caught the last 3 minutes of Harvard/Yale. Never thought Bright Hockey Center would be so TV friendly given how small it is - I like the low angles and the rink audio. Our house is a UNH/Cornell one, so we were far more distracted by those two matchups. (NESN, CBS Sports).
                          I agree. Looked great and while I like our big arena atmosphere out here in the west, I can't help but think it would be great to see games in these small buildings out east.

Loved the look of the Harvard and Cornell buildings, especially since they were full and loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                            I was flipping back and forth all night. Stayed tuned to watch "Gate hold off Cornell, then watched the end of the Harvard/Yale game. The CBS channel even had the ticker at the bottom so I knew that OSU, Miami and MSU had all lost. Good hockey all around.
                            I did the exact same thing.

Considering a year ago, we would have had no college hockey, being able to watch 3 non CCHA games at once was very, very cool.

Comment

7 National TV games this Friday night, all times are eastern. I think this is probably the first time 7 national games have been on TV in one night.

7:00 PM BU @ Merrimack - FCS Pacific
                              7:30 PM Miami @ Michigan - FS-D & FCS Atlantic
                              7:30 PM PC @ UNH - CBSSN
                              7:30 PM Cornell @ RPI - NBCSN (old Versus)
                              8:00 PM SCSU @ WI - BTN
                              9:30 PM CC @ DU - Root & FCS Pacific
                              10:00 PM RIT @ AF - CBSSN
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                7:00 PM BU @ Merrimack - FCS Pacific
                                That makes sense.

Not that I'm arguing...

Comment

Working...
                                X