2012 NCAA Tournament: Division I Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 NCAA Tournament: Division I Bracketology

What the heck, the men have a thread for speculating which includes the College Hockey Weekly published forecast and bracketology updated as the season progresses. Nothing similar available for the women that I'm aware of so, as the season continues perhaps fans would care to comment on their ideal tournament pairings relative to rankings and selection criteria. Obviously conference tournament outcomes can potentially through a monkey in the wrench of any speculation. Adjustments to preferred brackets can be made if / when conference tournament results alter the picture.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Division I Bracketology

As it stands right now I'd send Dartmouth to Madison to play Wisconsin. North Dakota to Cornell, Harvard to Minnesota, Mercyhurst to BC? I think I'd have to consider giving Hurst the game at home though. All under ideal circumstances to avoid q'final conference rehashing. My fantasy brackets...almost certainly there will be changes warranted.

Alternative per Rutter rankings, the rankings I think are most accurate:

Harvard to Wisconsin. BC to Minnesota, Mercyhurst to North Dakota, Minnesota Duluth to Cornell.
    Last edited by brookyone; 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      As it stands right now I'd send Dartmouth to Madison to play Wisconsin. North Dakota to Cornell, Harvard to Minnesota, Mercyhurst to BC? I think I'd have to consider giving Hurst the game at home though. All under ideal circumstances to avoid q'final conference rehashing. My fantasy brackets...almost certainly there will be changes warranted.

Alternative per Rutter rankings, the rankings I think are most accurate:

Harvard to Wisconsin. BC to Minnesota, Mercyhurst to North Dakota, Minnesota Duluth to Cornell.
      So, if that would stand (per the Rutter rankings), that would be the maximum travel for every team traveling. Do you think the "Hockey Gods" would do that for quarter-final match-ups. And then the girls from the East (assuming at least a couple win), would have to turn around and fly back to Minnesota just days later? I have a feeling NOT -- you have 4 teams from the East and 4 from the West making for their "perfect" quarters minimizing travel. Just wondering what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
        So, if that would stand (per the Rutter rankings), that would be the maximum travel for every team traveling. Do you think the "Hockey Gods" would do that for quarter-final match-ups. And then the girls from the East (assuming at least a couple win), would have to turn around and fly back to Minnesota just days later? I have a feeling NOT -- you have 4 teams from the East and 4 from the West making for their "perfect" quarters minimizing travel. Just wondering what will happen.
        The entire post was intentionally void of consideration of what the NCAA is actually likely to do. That's what I meant by "ideal tournament pairings" just in the view of fans. Yes, it's pretty much understood the NCAA will plug the travel factor, or restrictions into the tournament pairings, among other tournament participant objectives they may have. The answer to your question is no, I don't think brackets will be prioritized as I have them. I'm almost 100% sure of that. Hence the term "fantasy brackets" and "ideal circumstances" which would mean unrestricted by travel expense limitations. Discussion of what the NCAA is actually likely to do with brackets as the picture becomes more clear is welcome of course.
        Last edited by brookyone; 01-15-2012, 04:02 PM.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The entire post was intentionally void of consideration of what the NCAA is actually likely to do. That's what I meant by "ideal tournament pairings" just in the view of fans.
          My "ideal tournament pairings" of the teams currently ranked 1-8 in the USCHO mock Pairwise Ranking would be

Dartmouth to Wisconsin
          Harvard to Minnesota
          North Dakota to Cornell
          Mercyhurst to Boston College
          Discussion of what the NCAA is actually likely to do with brackets as the picture becomes more clear is welcome of course.
          I think much more likely would be the less travel alternative (and more true to the actual ratings) of
          North Dakota to Minnesota
          Harvard to Cornell
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

OK, I have thought about it a little more.

Here's one:

Let's assume that UMD improves enough in RPI to advance to 8 in PWR, displacing Dartmouth.

Let's assume committee decides to avoid inter conference matchups in the quarterfinals.

UMD at Cornell
            North Dakota at Boston College
            Harvard at Wisconsin
            Mercyhurst at Minnesota

Setting up the possibility that the Frozen Four could be a replay of the WCHA Final Four.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Yes, it's pretty much understood the NCAA will plug the travel factor, or restrictions into the tournament pairings, among other tournament participant objectives they may have.
              Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              UMD at Cornell
              Harvard at Wisconsin
              Mercyhurst at Minnesota

Setting up the possibility that the Frozen Four could be a replay of the WCHA Final Four..

...and that's all I'm going to say about that, except that I'd be fine with your scenario.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

...and that's all I'm going to say about that, except that I'd be fine with your scenario.
                I just have one word that has been conspicuously missing so far in this thread.

NORTHEASTERN
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  UMD at Cornell
                  Harvard at Wisconsin
                  Mercyhurst at Minnesota

Setting up the possibility that the Frozen Four could be a replay of the WCHA Final Four.
                  Although this season, it isn't a given that those four teams will advance to the WCHA semis as they did last year.

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post

NORTHEASTERN
                  It's a bit surprising that they aren't ranked higher than they are, but tenth in RPI and 1-3 against Teams Under Consideration leaves the Huskies with work to do.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                    And DC good call in Bracketology. I'm just staying out of it for now because they will call me biased (for some good reason).
                    We're all biased. The forum can always use more NU input.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      leaves the Huskies with work to do.
                      I will be watching them work from Conte Forum tomorrow night in what is going to be a big game for the Hounds.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        We're all biased. The forum can always use more NU input.
                        I think everyone here has written bc in, and for good reason. They have beaten NU twice but look at their other losses. Maine, bu and Quinny, teams NU beat. St Lawrence, a hot team that beat both of us that weekend and then UMD a quality loss.

NU losses: Princeton a hard tough road loss that the Tigers were gunning for. Dartmouth an OT loss against a solid team. Then the St Lawrence loss that they were hot for and we still almost had that game. Then throw in our two losses to bc which is a top team.

I am not saying we are better than bc. But those games were a little closer than the scores showed, I was at both games. We win Tuesday we control Hockey East, we lose and we are only a bc loss and tie from the top seed. Either way I think we go into out tourney as a top 2 seed and as every tournament ever has proven anyone can win.

As for our TUC record yea it stinks but we have 3 wins total against Q and bu which keep popping in and out (and both of them hurt bc). Plus the Beanpot where we should go against bc and Harvard to boost that.

If this is a rant I apologize but NU has always been a bit ignored in my mind, and for good reason until Flint got on board we were bad but that isn't us anymore. And although everything over here is seen through rose colored glasses I know there is a good chance we don't make the cut but people seem so certain we don't have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post

NORTHEASTERN
                          Well, if you really want that to happen they are going to have to find a way to beat the Eagles (Sorry Tony!) I think they have the talent to pull it off....no time like the near present!

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                            Well, if you really want that to happen they are going to have to find a way to beat the Eagles (Sorry Tony!) I think they have the talent to pull it off....no time like the near present!
                            You don't think there can be 2 HE teams?

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                              And although everything over here is seen through rose colored glasses I know there is a good chance we don't make the cut but people seem so certain we don't have a chance.
                              I don't think that the Huskies don't have a chance; they only have five and a half losses, and losses are the things that are hard to get back. I was surprised when it was Dartmouth and not Northeastern that popped into the PWR picture, but much of that must be the H2H win that the Big Green have over the Huskies. Had that gone the other way in OT, who knows. So NU's at-large fate still rests in its hands, and even if it winds up on the wrong side of the PWR bubble, winning the Hockey East tournament should be a real possibility. The games against BC will be huge, and at some point, NU needs a win or two in those.

Comment

Working...
                              X