UA_ at NMU Friday 1/6/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA_ at NMU Friday 1/6/12

The University of Alaska _airbanks is in Marquette to take on the Northern Michigan Wildcats!

I'll try to have insightful game commentary is available here from me, or on twitter from @mattwellens, @wildcat_dave and the random sarcastic tweet from me @thejoshp.

Tonight's starting lineup for the 'Cats: Florek, Viger, Cherniwchan up front. Epp and Ludwig on the blueline. Ellingson between the pipes.

I'll try to update this as much as I can.

And the online radio feed is available in my signature.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Re: UA_ at NMU Friday 1/6/12

Quick first period so far. Five minutes plus played with just a pair of whistles for stoppages in play. Very back and forth.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

'Cats are shorthanded first tonight. Seckel for slashing at 7:16.

Off the draw, the 'Cats have good pressure short handed. Florek and Thurber making themselves known. Florek with a shorthanded shot.

Great penalty killing so far by the 'Cats.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not sure if UA_ is waiting out the 'Cats hoping for a great third period, or if NMU is that much better than UA_. LOTS of shorthanded chances for the Wildcats which lead to a successful penalty kill.

UA_ hasn't really had the puck too much so far in the opening 10 minutes.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Nanooks, from what I can tell via radio, is playing a "dump-n-chase." A couple of shots now by the Nanooks, but it's gone wide each time.

'Cats regain control and pass amongst themselves in the Nanook end.

Shots currently are 8 - 3 in favor of the Wildcats.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

@mattwellens says that just like last weekend against the Russian Red Stars, the Nanooks can't hit the net with clean shots. "Strong winds on ice level?"

Start speculation of how the Berry is similar to the Metro Dome.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Jesus Christ. Taranto is only a Junior? I thought he's been with Alaska since I graduated in '05??!?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

UA_ with a BIG scoring chance, but Ellingson comes up BIGGER with the save. 'Cats come back down ice with a couple pretty chances.

Less than a minute to go in the first period, and the Nanooks with some pressure.

And with that buzzer... it's the end of one period, tied at zero.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Courtesy @mattwellens:
                  First period shot chart, Ellingson in the left. NMU 0, Alaska 0. http://pic.twitter.com/ajV02x1Q

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Second period is underway. Lots of nothing so far. Just a minute into the game, and a puck deflected out of play.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Two minutes in and Seckel had a great shot that Greenham somehow was able to smother. Definitely a good goaltending duo tonight.

... and with that, I just jinxed the teams to an 8-7 finish.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Another NMU penalty at 3:29. CJ Ludwig for holding. UA_ on their second PP attempt of the night.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

DavyD... I hope Checker Bus wrote an awfully big donation to the hockey program for your plug.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Back and forth action, nothing to really report on. Thurber with a big shot, but Greenham again keeps the puck out. 'Cats have killed their second penalty of the night. And a pair of HUGE hits from both the Nanooks and Wildcats.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Daugherty headed to the penalty box.... for boarding at 7:32. UA_ on their THIRD power play of the night.

I get the feeling that these have been ticky tack penalties called. I fully expect a pair of make up calls soon in the Wildcats favor.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X