Wisconsin Badgers vs. Minnesota Gophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Badgers vs. Minnesota Gophers

This is obviously a critical series for both teams, as the defending national champs and No. 1 ranked Wisconsin Badgers travel to Minneapolis to take on No. 2 Minnesota. Realistically, the Gophers probably need to sweep the Badgers if they want to keep their WCHA conference title hopes alive. Doing so would pull them into a first place tie, as both teams would have identical 13-3 conference records and 39 points apiece. If the Gophers do not come away with a sweep they will need to hope that one or more other conference teams are able to upset the Badgers. While not impossible, the Gophers probably realize they cannot rely on the Badgers faltering the rest of the way. Beyond this series, both teams will face stiff challenges from the likes of UMD, BSU and UND, but for now both teams' full attention will be focused on this weekend.

So what are your thoughts as to how this series will play out? Are the Gophers better or worse off hosting the Badgers after the long holiday break?
    Wisconsin sweeps
    15.00%
    Minnesota sweeps
    35.00%
    They will split
    45.00%
    Other - one or both games will be decided by a shootout
    5.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by D2D; 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Wisconsin Badgers vs. Minnesota Gophers

Boy, I don't know if either team wants the other to "knock the rust off" after a long break. Should be an entertaining series though. Let's hope that there are plenty of fans at the games. With the men off that night, perhaps we could get a few of those fans to cross over and show up. If not -- always free audio on gophersports.com.

Comment

In my opinion UW is there better team, but there are a lot of factors making this one tough to call. UW is missing several key defensemen and Prevost is still a ???, even if she plays it will be her first games back after a very long layoff. I don't think UM will be missing anyone. Given all of this I think UW wins a shoot out game Friday and a clean win on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
        I don't think UM will be missing anyone.
        Sarah Davis if I heard correctly.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I don't think UM will be missing anyone.
          Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          Sarah Davis if I heard correctly.
          ...which I think is unfortunate since it's due to a rather obscure, rather meaningless tournament coming at an inopportune time. An absence of Sarah Davis makes for a bigger hole to fill for the Gopher staff than what UW will deal with considering their own player absences, IMO. The Gophers have the depth that should allow them to compensate for the missing Sarah Davis but to date no one has proven as effective on a line with Kelly Terry, as Gopher #9...with that 2nd line being fairly vital, particularly against the Badgers. A big weekend, a big opportunity for someone to step up. Hope someone takes advantage and has the needed impact. Kortum? Brausen? One of the frosh?
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Which key defensemen are missing and why? International play, injuries, etc?

In my opinion UW is there better team, but there are a lot of factors making this one tough to call. UW is missing several key defensemen and Prevost is still a ???, even if she plays it will be her first games back after a very long layoff. I don't think UM will be missing anyone. Given all of this I think UW wins a shoot out game Friday and a clean win on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
              Which key defensemen are missing and why? International play, injuries, etc?
              Haverstock and Pacholok.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

On Friday live at Ridder.

Comment

Originally posted by Habs View Post
                  On Friday live at Ridder.
                  Will you have time to adjust to the timezone change? It is a 7 p.m. game, and those are usually too late for you. Looking forward to seeing you.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I understand the value/appeal for playing for your country, but I HATE when players have to miss conference games, especially a series this big. Injuries are one thing, but to have healthy, eligible players missing stinks.

Realistically, the Gophers need a sweep (or win and shoot-out win) to stay in regular title contention. Otherwise, they'll have to run the table and hope the Badgers drop some games they aren't expected to. Fully expect two close games that could go either way.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Haverstock and Pacholok.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Will you have time to adjust to the timezone change? It is a 7 p.m. game, and those are usually too late for you.
                      Nope. Will check in appr. 3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                        I understand the value/appeal for playing for your country, but I HATE when players have to miss conference games, especially a series this big. Injuries are one thing, but to have healthy, eligible players missing stinks.
                        I agree! Tell Johnson to quit recruiting those players!
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

One of twenty get it right!
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                          X