Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/6 - 1/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/6 - 1/7

And not long after I finished that last post, the first period comes to a close in St. Cloud, tied at 0-0. Both teams had a couple power plays but no scoring. In the mens games I am watching, Michigan is leading Lake Superior 2-0 in the second period and Western Michigan took a 1-0 lead over UMD into the first intermission.

Comment

Mission accomplished tonight. We didn't exactly light it up, but the Buckeye women defeated SCSU earlier tonight 2-0 on two goals by Natalie Spooner. With those goals, Natalie ties Jeni Cleary as the all-time goal scoring leader at tOSU with 86 goals. I believe she will break that record soon and become the all-time goal scoring leader at Ohio State. Nice job Buckeyes! Let's get another W tomorrow night and get the sweep!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        Mission accomplished tonight. We didn't exactly light it up, but the Buckeye women defeated SCSU earlier tonight 2-0 on two goals by Natalie Spooner. With those goals, Natalie ties Jeni Creary as the all-time goal scoring leader at tOSU...
        Fixed your typo.

Well done, Buckeyes. Keep it going Saturday!

Comment

For the "Stars of the Game" segment--I was wondering why Spooner's ice time was less than usual--then see that she is a little banged up. Her two goals were both highlight material. She is scary-good offensively. Another OSU standout, IMO, was freshman Taylor Kuehl. She is very poised and good with the puck.

On the Huskies side of things, frosh goaltender Julie Friend was solid. (I asked a Buckeye fan why Spooner wasn't at a tournament somewhere ). Defender Katie Allen was strong all night killing penalties and generally playing an exceptional game. The Huskies skated and played with OSU the whole night. Unfortunately, the lack of scoring talent is huge.

Comment

So if I'm understanding you correctly:

Honorable Mention: Julie Friend, St. Cloud State

#3 Star: Taylor Kuehl, Ohio State

#2 Star: Katie Allen, St. Cloud State

#1 Star: Natalie Spooner, Ohio State

Does that work for you, Boomer?

Either way, thanks much for the report.

Comment

All I can add to that as I do not disagree, is that Ms. Knapp earned her shutout making several quality saves each period and was solid I would have given her a star myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                So if I'm understanding you correctly:

Honorable Mention: Julie Friend, St. Cloud State

#3 Star: Taylor Kuehl, Ohio State

#2 Star: Katie Allen, St. Cloud State

#1 Star: Natalie Spooner, Ohio State

Does that work for you, Boomer?

Either way, thanks much for the report.

IF
                I picked the classic 3 star selection, it would have been the same as what was announced following the game:

#1 Natalie Spooner

#2 Knapp

#3 Friend

Kuehl and Allen both played well, but did not (IMO) warrant "star of the game" status.

Hopefully, someone will invite Spooner to some sort of tourney by this afternoon . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post

IF
                  I picked the classic 3 star selection, it would have been the same as what was announced following the game:

#1 Natalie Spooner

#2 Knapp

#3 Friend

Kuehl and Allen both played well, but did not (IMO) warrant "star of the game" status.
                  Fair enough! Admittedly I took the puck and carried it a good ways. In my repackaged version, l listed Allen higher because you described her game as "exceptional" while Friend was merely "solid." But giving both goalies recognition in a tight 2-0 game seems very reasonable.

Hopefully, someone will invite Spooner to some sort of tourney by this afternoon . . .
                  Presume there was no such invitation. Looking forward to your comments on the rematch.

Comment

Just found the Saturday result over on the Scoreboard. Yikes; that's a costly loss for the Buckeyes. But congratulations to the Huskies, of course.

Comment

The 3 stars announced at this game had:
                      #1 Brittany Toor
                      #2 Julie Friend
                      #3 Natalie Spooner

Toor was honored because of her game-winning goal, a slippery and accurate backhander just inside the pipe. Huskie goaltender Julie Friend stopped 18 of 19 OSU shots in the second period, and stoned Ms. Spooner on a couple of grade A chances.

The best player on the ice today was, IMO, #5 Spooner. She didn't miss many shifts today, and is an explosive force every time she is on the ice.

I am almost sure that the last time SCSU scored 3 goals in a period was 3 years ago with the likes of Hogan, Roberts, et. al.

While the Buckeyes certainly missed the three playing in the tournament in Germany, the Huskies played determined and hard for the entire weekend. This is a team that isn't going to do anything this year, haven't hardly scored a goal per game, and have been suspect defensively. But on this weekend they brought the play to OSU, and when the Buckeyes put on the pressure, SCSU weathered the storm and found a way to win.

After mentioning Taylor Kuehl yesterday, I was surprised, not that she scored a goal, but that it was her first career goal. My spouse and I were fortunate to be sitting right in front of Taylor's parents and brother--plus others of the "Kuehl ontourage." The other OSU player that was fun to watch was captain Kelly Wild. She plays hockey with an edge, never has an off-shift, and seems to be always in the play.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Fixed your typo.

Well done, Buckeyes. Keep it going Saturday!
                        Thanks Pgb! Too bad we didn't come to play today. We can ill afford to leave points on the table if we want to accomplish our goals. We have to travel to Bemidji next weekend so it doesn't get any easier.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Thanks Pgb! Too bad we didn't come to play today. We can ill afford to leave points on the table if we want to accomplish our goals. We have to travel to Bemidji next weekend so it doesn't get any easier.
                          What happenned to Steffes last night...3 goals on 11 shots...extenuating circumstances or just a bad night?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            What happenned to Steffes last night...3 goals on 11 shots...extenuating circumstances or just a bad night?
                            Good question. I wasn't there so I am not sure. It's definitely surprising as Lisa has been very solid for us this season between the pipes.

Comment

Working...
                            X