Current KRACH - ?? because sites do not match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current KRACH - ?? because sites do not match

Can the math guys out there help me with something? I am looking at the KRach rankings on USCHO and CollegeHockeyNews right now (after all games Friday). All the schools' records match between the 2 sites, but the rating numbers do not.

I don't understand how that can be. Especially since I think I understand the way KRACH works. It makes no sense to me that the iterations can settle to 2 different sets of numbers.

Thanks ahead of time.

Numbers.

Re: Current KRACH - ?? because sites do not match

Are you sure they have identical inputs?

Edit: I'd wage it's off SOMEWHERE...

By concavity a solution exists for the maxima and the solution is unique. Another possibility is that they're on different multiplicative scales.

If games are missing/added then most of the ratings should be similar save the mis-inputs... After that I've got nothing
    Last edited by Patman; 12-31-2011, 12:30 AM.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Patman,
      I thought about this again, and one idea came to mind. Do you know that trick where they add a tie with a team that doesn't exist to everyone's schedule early in the year to make it so that all the teams are connected? Is it possible that one site hasn't deleted that yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
        Patman,
        I thought about this again, and one idea came to mind. Do you know that trick where they add a tie with a team that doesn't exist to everyone's schedule early in the year to make it so that all the teams are connected? Is it possible that one site hasn't deleted that yet?
        if so they'd be off all season... I suppose the easiest way to check that... if they print the SOS then, IIRC, the KRACH is equal to

SOS*win%/(1-win%)... if they're putting in the fraction, this is where I'd check
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Is it possible that one site hasn't deleted that yet?
          Bingo. It's now removed on our calculation. Without the fictitious tie, it can't be calculated until all teams have played.

Comment

Patman,
            Idle aside: I believe John Whelan has opined that the "best" way to calculate KRACH is with two fictitious games, not just one. It's a statistics thing.
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
            X