New D1 Programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New D1 Programs?

I understand UMass is jumping to BCS football next year which I believe adds 20 or so men's scholarships. I know UMass studied women's hockey a few years ago. Any chance UMass makes the jump now? As a current member of men's Hockey East, I believe a future women's team would have an automatic home.

Any update on RIT?

I also understand MSU Moorhead is close to a decision deadline on starting a D1 program. Any word on whether they made it or will give up?

Re: New D1 Programs?

RIT has officially told all the DIII schools on it's schedule they will not schedule them next season. just to get a schedule done they keep a few select DIII schools but the rest will all be DI. They will not be in ECAC West next season.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
      I understand UMass is jumping to BCS football next year which I believe adds 20 or so men's scholarships. I know UMass studied women's hockey a few years ago. Any chance UMass makes the jump now? As a current member of men's Hockey East, I believe a future women's team would have an automatic home.

Any update on RIT?

I also understand MSU Moorhead is close to a decision deadline on starting a D1 program. Any word on whether they made it or will give up?
      UMass already exceeds the Title IX requirements, so the addition of football scholarships won't have an impact. The Minutemen were supposed to add women's hockey 15 years ago, but budget cutbacks and the axing of a number of sports in the late '90s put that to an end. I doubt that you will see women's hockey added any time soon, if ever.

Comment

MN - MSU has budgeted in nearly $200,000 for coaches and are within 6 months of another announcement about a men's and women's team there.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRondelle View Post
          RIT has officially told all the DIII schools on it's schedule they will not schedule them next season. just to get a schedule done they keep a few select DIII schools but the rest will all be DI. They will not be in ECAC West next season.
          I have been hearing grumblings of this all season and now it seems like its official. Will be interesting to see if RIT can win it all before going up.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            UMass already exceeds the Title IX requirements, so the addition of football scholarships won't have an impact. The Minutemen were supposed to add women's hockey 15 years ago, but budget cutbacks and the axing of a number of sports in the late '90s put that to an end. I doubt that you will see women's hockey added any time soon, if ever.

Very recently UMass administrators have said they need to add women's scholarships due to football jump. But maybe the school is not fully funding its existing teams?

Good news RIT and maybe Moorhead.

Comment

I'd love to see Notre Dame start a women's program. I think if they did it might help jump start women's hockey in the Indiana/Illinois/Michigan region.

For anyone interested. the VERSUS network (which will become the 'NBC Sports Network' on January 2nd) will be airing “Onward To Victory - Notre Dame Hockey” this Saturday night (New Years Eve) at 9:30 p.m. Central time. Here's a preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJrr...q_v=36256febdb
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                Very recently UMass administrators have said they need to add women's scholarships due to football jump. But maybe the school is not fully funding its existing teams?

Good news RIT and maybe Moorhead.
                Well, I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Comment

Slightly off topic but same theme, what is brewing on the womens side for new DIII programs? Any other current DIII's looking to jump up (Holy Cross??)?

Comment

I know from athletes in other sports the UMASS does not seem to have a lot of scholarship funding.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckFan92 View Post
                      Any other current DIII's looking to jump up (Holy Cross??)?
                      Holy Cross is already technically a D-I program because of NCAA rules.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There will be two new teams next year playing D-III schedules with Franklin Pierce (D-II) being added as well as Stevenson.

University of New England I believe is set to start up a program for the 2013-14 season and I believe SUNY Canton is in the works as well to start in the near future.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                          Well, I wouldn't mind being wrong.
                          You're probably right I'm just wondering out loud. UMass had this quote in a 2008 university description: "The University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees has established two athletics-related task forces – one to consider whether UMass Amherst should seek to move its football team into Division I-A and the other to consider the desirability and feasibility of adding a Division I Women’s Hockey Program at UMass Amherst. The work of these task forces is on-going."

That was three years ago, but tying these together made sense. UMass has now moved up, will get more revenue, needs scholarship equivalency and women's hockey adds 18 while football adds about 23. I figured someone out there may know if this is still under consideration.

Comment

From a sports blog today:

10. Don't mean to get the budget conscious in the UMass athletic department nervous, but I'd love to see a UMass varsity women's team join Hockey East. Oh quit crying poor mouth! Our good friend and original Springfield Olympics goaltender Brian Durocher is doing fine with it at BU, and so is former UMass assistant coach Bob Deraney at Providence. The team could play its games at the Mullins Center practice rink (the BU women play at Walter Brown Arena, not Agganis), and maybe be part of a doubleheader before a men's game when the men are playing a less attractive draw. Of course, BU and Provdence don't have the expense of a top-shelf football program playing two hours away from its campus like UMass does.

By the way, UConn, BC,, Maine, and New Hampshire manage to have football programs and women's hockey. Northeastern, by the way, leads the league. UMass won't even support a women's volleyball team, a cab ride away from the birthplace of volleyball. Yeah, well if you can't afford the Atlantic-10, then go to America East where all the New England rivalries are close by. As former Republican writer Mike Bogen used to say from time to time in his columns - I digress.

http://blog.masslive.com/umass-hocke...he_week_2.html

Comment

Wisconsin Green Bay and Iowa State approach the WCHA?

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/.../id/100036427/

Comment

Working...
                              X