This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

The good news for Lowell is that even if Providence becomes a TUC (has to make the Hockey East finals) they will still be #13 at worst. The worst case for Lowell is that there is a logjam of Miami, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Northern Michigan right around them, and all of them can't improve. In fact, either Michigan State or Miami will get dinged this weekend and Northern is sitting at home. Barring a worst-case scenario and at least two upsets in the conference tournaments, Lowell is in the field.

Comment

1 Boston Coll (HE) 31
      2 Minn-Duluth (WC) 29
      3 Michigan (CC) 28
      4 Ferris State (CC) 28
      5 Mass-Lowell (HE) 27
      6 Minnesota (WC) 25
      7 Miami (CC) 25
      8 Boston Univ (HE) 24
      9 Maine (HE) 23
      10 Union (EC) 22
      11 North Dakota (WC) 21
      12 Cornell (EC) 21
      13 Denver U (WC) 20
      14 Mich State (CC) 18
      15 Western Mich (CC) 17
      ---
      16 Northern Mich (CC) 16

Code:

Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
      Ferris St	Boston C	Minn-Duluth 	Michigan
      Lowell		Boston U	Minnesota	Miami
      Cornell		Union		Maine		No Dakota
      Denver		W Mich		Mich St		AHA Champ
      Code:
      Niagara	0.5021
      Yale	0.5010
      ---
      UMass	0.4999
      RIT	0.4952

Comment

And, the upper part of the PWR will be very volatile from here on out. A rudimentary calculation shows that, if BU sweeps the next 2 versus New Hampshire, UNH would have an RPI of .5001 at that point. How it would move would depend on many things, of course, but perhaps most, it would depend on the HE semi with BU. The reason this is important, is that UML was 2-1 vs NH, and BC was 3-0 vs UNH, so some comparisons might flip depending on UNH's TUC status. For one, right now, the UML/Minn comparison depends totally on that one factor.

I can't be positive, but I am fairly certain that right now, if UNH maintains TUC status, and BC wins this weekend's series, that BC would be guaranteed the overall #1...

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the obvious case of UMD winning the Broadmoor, and BC not winning HE's tourney. In which case, UMD would regain the compare with Minn, and would end up winning every compare, despite still not having as high a RPI as BC.
        Last edited by Numbers; 03-10-2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I'm not an expert on this, actually far from understanding it at all. All I know is the top 16 (minus autobids) from this get in, so hopefully I don't sound like a complete n00b with these questions.

1. How can Northern get in? They have no games left and it seems like MSU or WMU losing would just hurt them. They lost the season series to these teams and the losses would lower their SOS. Seems like a double whammy.
          2. Where is Miami?
          3. Does MSU need to win at least one more to secure a spot, one win one to stay alive? Can they lose tomorrow and still be in it?
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Go Providence and BG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              I'm not an expert on this, actually far from understanding it at all. All I know is the top 16 (minus autobids) from this get in, so hopefully I don't sound like a complete n00b with these questions.

1. How can Northern get in? They have no games left and it seems like MSU or WMU losing would just hurt them. They lost the season series to these teams and the losses would lower their SOS. Seems like a double whammy.
              2. Where is Miami?
              3. Does MSU need to win at least one more to secure a spot, one win one to stay alive? Can they lose tomorrow and still be in it?
              It'd take a minor miracle, but NMU can make it depending on what their past opponents do. Lowell dropped 2 spots by losing last night, and dropped 1 spot by WINNING tonight. I can't explain it; I'm not a PWR guru, but I did ask one, and he laid out what probably had to happen. It was rather complicated.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                It'd take a minor miracle, but NMU can make it depending on what their past opponents do. Lowell dropped 2 spots by losing last night, and dropped 1 spot by WINNING tonight. I can't explain it; I'm not a PWR guru, but I did ask one, and he laid out what probably had to happen. It was rather complicated.
                Huh? Lowell was 7th after last night's loss, they're 5th now after the win tonight. So...
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

2. Where is Miami?
                  I will answer #3 first. I just did a real quick simulation in which all higher seeded teams won all remaining games, except I didn't bother with the AHA. So, that would have MSU losing tomorrow night. I ended up with MSU seeded 14th, and Western 15th. So, the obvious answer for Spartan fans is, root for the home team, unless they are playing MSU.

Now, #2: What do you mean by "Where is Miami?" If you mean, which region would they go to, the answer is: Way to early to know. If you mean, "How are their chances?" Pretty good right now.

And, now to #1. The simplest way for NoMich to qualify would be: Lake Superior beats Western 2 games in a row, lowering Western's RPI to below that of NoMich, and turning that comparison. Following that, there are probably many things that have to happen: easiest of them would be again, all higher seeded teams win in every game.

Obviously, this "Higher seed wins" business doesn't hold true, but it is the easiest to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                    Huh? Lowell was 7th after last night's loss, they're 5th now after the win tonight. So...
                    No, in the PWR, according to FSN, they were 2, dropped to 4, and now they are 5th. They could be wrong, I suppose.....
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

They are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Now, #2: What do you mean by "Where is Miami?" If you mean, which region would they go to, the answer is: Way to early to know. If you mean, "How are their chances?" Pretty good right now.
                        I mean where are they in the PWR. I keep hearing if they win the series against MSU they're in, but I find it odd they aren't even shown when they are a game away from completing that.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I would like to throw this out for CCHA fans:

Take a close look at the NCAA bubble: From #14 to #20 is 7 places. Right now, 5 of those are CCHA teams. What that means is, without a bunch of surprising upsets to give auto-bids to unlikely teams, that your conference is likely to fill the bubble. But, also to affect one another lots. I mean lots. A little more detail: It would take an extreme circumstance for CC to make the field without winning the WCHA playoffs. Probably the same could be said for Lake. So, now, in my mind I reduce the bubble to #14 - # 18. Lake's influence is going to be: how much can they destroy Western's chances? Notre Dame needs to win 2 against Michigan and go from there (almost got one tonight). And, so on. The only ??? in the bubble is really: What will Merrimack do? If they lose to Maine again tomorrow night, they will be all but out (and maybe, out!). Then, the bubble comes down to MichState, WestMich, NoMich, and upsets in the conf tourneys.

Anyone want to know anything more specific?

Comment

I mean where are they in the PWR. I keep hearing if they win the series against MSU they're in, but I find it odd they aren't even shown when they are a game away from completing that.
                            Sorry, I misunderstood. Tonight they are tied at #6 in the PWR with Minnesota, and lose the tiebreaker, so #7.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              No, in the PWR, according to FSN, they were 2, dropped to 4, and now they are 5th. They could be wrong, I suppose.....
                              Rule of thumb... the (TV) media knows more than us on some injuries and some inside stories.

But generally, we know more than most of the (TV) media... and further on things of technical details we know A LOT more than the media.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                Sorry, I misunderstood. Tonight they are tied at #6 in the PWR with Minnesota, and lose the tiebreaker, so #7.
                                Nevermind, I'm just stupid. The way people were talking on an MSU message board they made it sound like Miami was on the bubble, so I didn't even look past #10 for them.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X