X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    The real flaw is in looking at PWR before all games are complete. If they end up #2 in PWR, its not because they "moved up". It was the only position they ever had, as PWR is meant to be calculated at the end.

Everything before that is just for speculation and entertainment purposes.
    JF - I agree with the comment about speculation and entertainment. I get that. However, I would have to disagree about there being no merit at looking at the PWR ahead of time. This is why: It is the only tool the committee has to use to choose the teams in the tourney. It is reasonable to ask: "Is this a good tool for that purpose?" Of course, this has been argued for a long time in this board. But, the way you learn the answer is by playing the 'what if' game. (I suppose you could argue that that is just speculation and entertainment as well.)

And, I would like to ask a question of you. If you really believe there is no reason to look at the PWR before the season ends, then why are you reading this thread? I mean, if PWR doesn't exist until season end, then bracketology doesn't either, so why read here?

Please understand, I am not meaning to disrespect your post. I am just trying to understand your interest.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Numbers; 02-23-2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      JF - I agree with the comment about speculation and entertainment. I get that. However, I would have to disagree about there being no merit at looking at the PWR ahead of time. This is why: It is the only tool the committee has to use to choose the teams in the tourney. It is reasonable to ask: "Is this a good tool for that purpose?" Of course, this has been argued for a long time in this board. But, the way you learn the answer is by playing the 'what if' game. (I suppose you could argue that that is just speculation and entertainment as well.)

And, I would like to ask a question of you. If you really believe there is no reason to look at the PWR before the season ends, then why are you reading this thread? I mean, if PWR doesn't exist until season end, then bracketology doesn't either, so why read here?

Please understand, I am not meaning to disrespect your post. I am just trying to understand your interest.

Thanks.
      I read it for entertainment. Nearly every D1 thread this time of year becomes a trainwreck.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        I read it for entertainment. Nearly every D1 thread this time of year becomes a trainwreck.
        I would sure believe that. Most fans have very strong emotional connections to everything about their team, and toward the end of the season that comes out more and more... Trainwreck - interesting word....

Comment

Bump so Priceless can easily find it later tonight.

Comment

OK, I'll do it myself:
            2 games left. Regardless of outcome, the top 8 are:
            1-BC
            2-FSU
            3-UMD
            4-Mich
            5-BU
            6-UML
            7-Minn
            8-Miami

So:
            Worcester: 1-BC, 8-Miami
            Green Bay: 2-FSU, 6-UML
            St Paul: 3-UMD, 7-Minn
            Bridgeport: 4-Mich, 5-BU

If UND wins tonight, it doesn't matter who wins the Gov Cup game, the #3 seeds will be : UND, Corn, Union, and MichSt ::: and the #4 seeds would be : NoMich, Maine, DU and AHA champ. In these case, UND can't face Minnesota, and NoMich can't face Mich or FSU, so the bracket would go:

Worcester: 1-BC v 16-AHA; 8-Miami v 9(or10)-UND
            Green Bay: 2-FSU v 15-Denver(or Maine); 6-UML v 11-Union
            St Paul: 3-UMD v 13-NoMichigan; 7-Minnesota v 10(or9)-Cornell
            Bridgeport: 4-Michigan v 14-Maine(or Denver); 5-BU v 12-MichState
            And, it's highly likely that the committee would put Maine in Bridgeport regardless of the actual seeding.

If, however, Denver comes back and wins tonight, the situation changes lots. In that scenario, UND misses the tourney, and the #3 seeds are (Denver, Cornell, Union), Mich St or (Cornell, Union, Denver), Mich St ::: and the #4s are in order, regardless of outcome or AA/Ak game : NoMich, Merrimack, and Maine.

So, we get:
            Worcester: 1-BC v 16-AHA; 8-Miami v 9-(Denver or Cornell)
            Green Bay: 2-FSU v 15-Maine; 6-UML v 11-(Union or Denver)
            St Paul: 3-UMD v 13-NoMichigan; 7-Minnesota v 10-(Cornell or Union)
            Bridgeport: 4-Michigan v 14-Merrimack; 5-BU v 12-MichState where NoMich and Merrimack are switched to avoid CCHA v CCHA.

Here, Denver is #9 if Anchorage wins. My guess is that the committee would likely choose to have Cornell in Worcester, because they might help the draw....

Anyway, that's the best I can do tonight.
            Last edited by Numbers; 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

If scores hold (UAA is up 3-1 and UND is up 4-1)

1 Boston Coll (HE) 29 0.5698
              2 Ferris State (CC) 28 0.5626
              3 Minn-Duluth (WC) 27 0.5533
              4 Michigan (CC) 26 0.5596
              5 Boston Univ (HE) 25 0.5520
              6 Mass-Lowell (HE) 24 0.5487
              7 Minnesota (WC) 22 0.5491
              8 Miami (CC) 22 0.5429
              9 North Dakota (WC) 20 0.5422
              10 Cornell (EC) 20 0.5415
              11 Union (EC) 19 0.5421
              12 Mich State (CC) 17 0.5440
              13 Northern Mich (CC) 16 0.5369
              14 Denver U (WC) 16 0.5346
              15 Maine (HE) 15 0.5395
              ---
              16 Merrimack (HE) 15 0.5356

Code:
              Bridgeport		Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
              Michigan		Boston Coll	Ferris State	Minn-Duluth
              Boston U		Miami		Minnesota	Lowell
              Mich State		North Dakota	Cornell		Union
              Maine		        AHA Champ	Denver		Northern Mich
              The TUC line

NorthEastern 0.5083
              New Hampshire 0.5074
              NE-Omaha 0.5073
              Bemidji State 0.5070
              Wisconsin 0.5065
              ---
              Air Force 0.4999
              Mass-Amherst 0.4973
              RIT 0.4967
              Niagara 0.4965
              Providence 0.4960

Comment

UND is now up 4-3.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  UND is now up 4-3.
                  Still won, so it holds true.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    Still won, so it holds true.
                    Insane ending.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Priceless, I had one difference. I swapped #11 Union and #12 Michigan State. So, BU vs. Union in Bridgeport and UML vs. MSU in Green Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Priceless, I had one difference. I swapped #11 Union and #12 Michigan State. So, BU vs. Union in Bridgeport and UML vs. MSU in Green Bay.
                        Sweet, UML-MSU Round 3...

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          So:
                          Worcester: 1-BC, 8-Miami
                          I'd forgive Miami if they look at Boston College as the hockey equivalent of flypaper.
                          Chris V
                          Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Are the regional tickets really priced differently? I noticed that Green Bay is $35 cheaper a ticket than St. Paul, that's a huge difference for a group of people. So avoiding St. Paul may not only be for match up purposes but also for preserving your pocketbook. It just seems ridiculous to have unequal standards for different "neutral" sites.
                            "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                            - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                            CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                              Are the regional tickets really priced differently? I noticed that Green Bay is $35 cheaper a ticket than St. Paul, that's a huge difference for a group of people. So avoiding St. Paul may not only be for match up purposes but also for preserving your pocketbook. It just seems ridiculous to have unequal standards for different "neutral" sites.
                              Supply and demand.

Fact is tickets to any NCAA regional are way overpriced.

Comment

Doesn't the NCAA set a floor and ceiling on the price and then leave it up to the host institution to charge whatever they think they can get?

Notre Dame waaaaaaay overpriced the tickets to the regional they hosted in Fort Wayne in 2010 (assuming incorrectly they'd make the show) and that had to lead to less than appealing crowd totals.

Comment

Working...
                                X