This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Book shmook. Attendance and bracket integrity are always taken into consideration. There is no way that would be the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      fs23,

How does CHW do its prediction? I see little value in compiling a few guesses and the tabulating them. Also, those 'guesses' seem to leave eastern teams in the east and western teams in the west.

It seems to me that a full up prediction would force all of you voters to put in your predictions of the final pairwise, then tabulate that to make a full 'top-16' which would include some one from AHA, and then someone has to take those top 16 and do a bracketology.

Does CHW actually do that?
      Not quite as complicated as that, but pretty close. There are 8 of us, and we each have a ballot. We vote for #1, #2, #3, and #4 seeds. For example, if BU gets four #1 seed votes and four #2 seed votes, they would accumulate 28 points (4 points x 4 #1 votes, 3 points x 4 #2 votes). We then rank teams #1-16 based on how many points they received during the ballot process. We make sure that 1 team from each conference is in our top 16, and then we do a bracketology from there, where the top 4 point-getters are #1 seeds, next 4 #2 and so on. Different people have different strategies I suppose, but I always vote for how I think the final pairwise will wind up.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Yes it can. It just requires heavier machinery
        Bingo. Big machines or more time.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also, for what it's worth, my current bracketology would go, simply by the book:

1 BC to Worcester, 2 Michigan to Green Bay (this is what the book says to do), 3 UML to Bridgeport, 4 Ferris to St Paul
          8 Minnesota to St Paul, 5 UMD with UML to Bridgeport, 6 BU with Michigan to Green Bay, 7 Union with BC to Worcester
          9 Maine vs Minnesota, 10 Mich State vs Union, 11 Miami vs BU, 12 Denver vs UMD (whoops, swap Miami and DU)
          13 OSU vs Ferris, 14 NoDak vs UML, 15 Cornell vs Michigan, 16 AHA vs BC (whoops, OSU has to play UML, then NoDak v Ferris), and you get:

Worcester: 1) BC vs 16) AHA; 7) Union vs 10) Mich State
          Green Bay: 2) Michigan vs 15) Cornell; 6) BU vs 12) Denver
          Bridgeport: 3) Lowell vs 13) Ohio State; 5)UMD vs 11) Miami
          St Paul: 4) Ferris vs 14) NoDak; 8) Minnesota vs 9) Maine

The Book says to stop right there. There is no need to change anything else, so I don't think the committee would. The only attendance swap that would make sense would be the BU/DU game for the UMD/Miami game to help Bridgeport. It would also help Green Bay, so I would be tempted to do that if it were up to me. Also, the bracket integrity looks better with the Michigan game in St Paul, but the RPI numbers are so close among teams 2 -5 that I don't think that is such a big deal.

I am sure there are contrary opinions. This is just the simplest way... No justifying changes, just 'the rules say it's like this.'
          The book would go out the window early in the process because the #2 overall seed is flying anyway, so the "close to home" rule need not apply. Michigan can go to any region except Worcester because that's where #1 Boston College goes. If Michigan is the #1 seed, it can go anywhere.

Comment

With that being said, I think it's obvious Michigan would be in either Green Bay or St. Paul. Priceless, I agree with you that the committee would go against having the "worst" #1 seed in Ferris State being paired with the worst #2 seed in Minnesota.

Comment

Book shmook. Attendance and bracket integrity are always taken into consideration. There is no way that would be the bracket.

I agree. It's almost impossible to create a tournament that has both bracket integrity and decent attendance at all sites. The chances of the 16 teams being ranked at the end of the season in such a way that both issues would be satisfied are remote at best. There will always be one or more teams that will be affected negatively in terms of it's travel or it's regional opponents. From the NCAA's point of view - you can't please everybody. I think it's only the fans and supporters that get would up over this - I'll bet that the players on the 16 teams that make the tournament wouldn't care where they start their path to the Frozen Four.
              Last edited by Hoover; 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                It would definitely not be another road game. I would imagine that travel time would be relatively close for each of the two schools. North Dakota would probably have more fans there, but I think you are overestimating how many Sioux fans would actually be there compared with how many Gopher fans would be there rooting against the Sioux.
                I think you underestimate how much we dislike the both of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Hey, it's the guy who pretends to be a Minnesota Hockey fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Well then you would boo louder against North Dakota.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      The book would go out the window early in the process because the #2 overall seed is flying anyway, so the "close to home" rule need not apply. Michigan can go to any region except Worcester because that's where #1 Boston College goes. If Michigan is the #1 seed, it can go anywhere.
                      Thanks, Priceless. In my mind I was thinking Grand Rapids, not Green Bay. So, I have 2 more questions. First, who are the committee members? I mean, I could look that up, but the issue is not 'who' specifically, but whether it is the same as last year. Then, second, who is hosting at Green Bay?

Thanks.

Comment

Also, for what it's worth, my current bracketology would go, simply by the book:

1 BC to Worcester, 2 Michigan to Green Bay (this is what the book says to do), 3 UML to Bridgeport, 4 Ferris to St Paul
                        8 Minnesota to St Paul, 5 UMD with UML to Bridgeport, 6 BU with Michigan to Green Bay, 7 Union with BC to Worcester
                        9 Maine vs Minnesota, 10 Mich State vs Union, 11 Miami vs BU, 12 Denver vs UMD (whoops, swap Miami and DU)
                        13 OSU vs Ferris, 14 NoDak vs UML, 15 Cornell vs Michigan, 16 AHA vs BC (whoops, OSU has to play UML, then NoDak v Ferris), and you get:

Worcester: 1) BC vs 16) AHA; 7) Union vs 10) Mich State
                        Green Bay: 2) Michigan vs 15) Cornell; 6) BU vs 12) Denver
                        Bridgeport: 3) Lowell vs 13) Ohio State; 5)UMD vs 11) Miami
                        St Paul: 4) Ferris vs 14) NoDak; 8) Minnesota vs 9) Maine

The Book says to stop right there. There is no need to change anything else, so I don't think the committee would. The only attendance swap that would make sense would be the BU/DU game for the UMD/Miami game to help Bridgeport. It would also help Green Bay, so I would be tempted to do that if it were up to me. Also, the bracket integrity looks better with the Michigan game in St Paul, but the RPI numbers are so close among teams 2 -5 that I don't think that is such a big deal.

I am sure there are contrary opinions. This is just the simplest way... No justifying changes, just 'the rules say it's like this.'
                        Wouldn't it make more sense for attendance/fairness if it was this way?

Worcester: 1) BC vs 16) AHA; 7) Union vs 9) Maine
                        Green Bay: 2) Michigan vs 15) Cornell; 8) Minnesota vs 10) Mich State
                        Bridgeport: 3) Lowell vs 13) Ohio State; 6) BU vs 12) Denver
                        St Paul: 4) Ferris vs 14) NoDak; 5) UMD vs 11) Miami

I know Minnesota is hosting St Paul but it doesn't make sense to pair up #2 Michigan with #5 UMD and Green Bay is only 4 hours away — if you're a fan you can make the trip easy.
                        Let's Go Red!

Comment

Originally posted by ajh258 View Post
                          Wouldn't it make more sense for attendance/fairness if it was this way?

Worcester: 1) BC vs 16) AHA; 7) Union vs 9) Maine
                          Green Bay: 2) Michigan vs 15) Cornell; 8) Minnesota vs 10) Mich State
                          Bridgeport: 3) Lowell vs 13) Ohio State; 6) BU vs 12) Denver
                          St Paul: 4) Ferris vs 14) NoDak; 5) UMD vs 11) Miami

I know Minnesota is hosting St Paul but it doesn't make sense to pair up #2 Michigan with #5 UMD and Green Bay is only 4 hours away — if you're a fan you can make the trip easy.
                          This literally can't happen. Swap the Green Bay region for the St Paul region, and you have a likely scenario, too. Although, it is interesting that the Michigan fans would absolutely scream about Michigan being assigned to St Paul. Far more so, than the Michigan fans would scream about Ferris going to St Paul, and Michigan being assigned to GB, with UMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            If it makes you feel any better, the feeling is quite mutual. A Michigan-Minnesota-North Dakota Regional would be a three-way of hate. The other team would feel awkward having to watch.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              Hey, it's the guy who pretends to be a Minnesota Hockey fan!
                              Hey, it's the guy that tries to derail every thread with unrelated topics!

Comment

This literally can't happen. Swap the Green Bay region for the St Paul region, and you have a likely scenario, too. Although, it is interesting that the Michigan fans would absolutely scream about Michigan being assigned to St Paul. Far more so, than the Michigan fans would scream about Ferris going to St Paul, and Michigan being assigned to GB, with UMD.
                                Of course I can't speak for all Michigan fans, for me this is nothing to 'scream' about. For the last 20, 21 years Michigan is more likely to face off against the WCHA in the NCAA's than any other team in Div 1. Last year we had to run a 4 team WCHA gauntlet to win the NC. We were 3 out of 4, a .750 win percentage vs the WCHA was good, but not good enough. I think our overall record vs the WCHA during those 20 years is a respectable .600. Considering that Union creamed us this season, I don't see anyone in the top 15 that is a gimme. We've played UND at the Ralph and at the Xcel, I prefer the Xcel. We've played UNH at the Verizon in Manchester. We've played BC at the Fleet Center. We've played Minnesota at the Xcel (I don't think we've ever faced the gophers at Mariucci during the NCAA's) I get the feeling that playing in front of other teams home crowds doesn't intimidate Michigan as much as it must other schools.
                                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X