X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Priceless, only difference I have is MSU in Green Bay and Miami in Bridgeport.
    I looked at that, but decided to keep the 6/11 pairing intact. The committee could easily decide to keep seeding equitable and go to a 6/12 7/11 setup. It doesn't hurt that the NCAA can anticipate a few extra Michigan State fans in Green Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I looked at that, but decided to keep the 6/11 pairing intact. The committee could easily decide to keep seeding equitable and go to a 6/12 7/11 setup. It doesn't hurt that the NCAA can anticipate a few extra Michigan State fans in Green Bay.
      What about moving the Ferris-UND matchup to St. Paul, having Duluth play Northern in Green Bay, and then Ohio State would go play BU in Bridgeport? As it is, the Green Bay regional is death for attendance. Plus, this way you would save 2 flights.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Ha, watching UM beat the ugly helmets at the X again would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          What about moving the Ferris-UND matchup to St. Paul, having Duluth play Northern in Green Bay, and then Ohio State would go play BU in Bridgeport? As it is, the Green Bay regional is death for attendance. Plus, this way you would save 2 flights.
          I don't think the GB attendance looks all that bad right now, especially considering what past predictions have looked like. Your scenario provides a little too much unnecessary movement for my liking.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          You should probably be more concerned with just making the tourney for the first time since '08.

Comment

I don't think the GB attendance looks all that bad right now, especially considering what past predictions have looked like. Your scenario provides a little too much unnecessary movement for my liking.
            For me, is Ferris+UND > Northern Michigan+Duluth? I don't think so. North Dakota definitely travels well, but last year they didn't even sell out the Resch when the Sioux were expected to win the Regional. If North Dakota barely makes it, i would guess that fewer fans would make the trek. Basically, I think Northern would send just as many fans as North Dakota, and Duluth would send far more than Ferris. Further, I think having North Dakota in St. Paul, along with the Gophers, gets pretty close to selling that place out...something that Duluth and Minnesota would struggle to do. Add Michigan to that fire, and I think that regional potentially outsells the other three combined.

Plus, the "unnecessary movement" results in fewer teams having to fly/travel long distances. The NCAA Selection committee has stated that it prefers to keep teams closer to home when it can.
            North Dakota

Comment

It's certainly intriguing, but the way I look at it is, attendance is only one factor. Having Ferris, Denver, MSU and UND in GB would provide a solid attendance...maybe not spectacular.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Hey, it's the guy who likes to pretend he's a Gopher fan!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  You have him mixed up with Scooby.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                    The point is, with Maine, not only do you have a larger alumni base, you have an entire state behind the team. Fenway this year was a great example, more Maine fans than any other school and yet the team traveled 200 plus miles, but alumni are all over and it is an easy trip from Portland south. Maine had twice as many fans as UMASS! And this was before Maine really started to turn the season around.

Lowell at this point does not have a following outside of the alumni base. Sure there are some in the community who have adopted Lowell as their team, but will they travel? No one is taking a shot at Lowell, and attendance is very misleading when you are handing out free tickets left and right (which is great to draw people to a great product) and you seat 6,000 plus.

Time will tell and I hope Lowell continues their strong play into the tournament.
                    Anyone that has ever attended the Hockey East Tournament at the Garden knows full well the best traveling fan base. In a good year, Lowell may show up with 500 fans. In a down year, Maine shows up with 5K. Hell, there's a bunch of Maine fans at the Garden even when the Black Bears don't make it.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      Thought you had me on ignore? And not feeling the need to defend the honor of the Gophers every time an opposing fan says something "wealy, wealy, mean" doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

You should probably be more concerned with just making the tourney for the first time since '08.
                      Yeah, no.

Comment

Regardless of the outcome of the last two games, the pairwise will look like:

1 Boston Coll (HE)
                        2 Michigan (CC)
                        3 Mass-Lowell (HE)
                        4 Ferris State (CC)
                        5 Minn-Duluth (WC)
                        6 Boston Univ (HE)
                        7 Minnesota (WC)
                        8 Union (EC)
                        9 Maine (HE)
                        10 Mich State (CC)
                        11 Miami (CC)
                        12 Denver U (WC)
                        13 Ohio State (CC)
                        14 North Dakota (WC)
                        15 Cornell (EC)

Union and Minnesota can trade places, based on the final of the CC-UNO game, but they'll still be in the band seeded #2 and Minnesota is a host, so it shouldn't matter.

I come up with

Code:
                        Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
                        Lowell		Boston Coll	Michigan	Ferris State
                        Boston U	Union		Minnesota	Minn-Duluth
                        Denver		Maine		Mich State 	Miami
                        Ohio State	AHA Champ	Cornell		North Dakota
                        Edit: Union does move up to 7, Minnesota and Maine are tied for 8th, but Minnesota wins the comparison by .0002 RPI.
                        Last edited by Priceless; 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Regardless of the outcome of the last two games, the pairwise will look like:

1 Boston Coll (HE)
                          2 Michigan (CC)
                          3 Mass-Lowell (HE)
                          4 Ferris State (CC)
                          5 Minn-Duluth (WC)
                          6 Boston Univ (HE)
                          7 Minnesota (WC)
                          8 Union (EC)
                          9 Maine (HE)
                          10 Mich State (CC)
                          11 Miami (CC)
                          12 Denver U (WC)
                          13 Ohio State (CC)
                          14 North Dakota (WC)
                          15 Cornell (EC)

Union and Minnesota can trade places, based on the final of the CC-UNO game, but they'll still be in the band seeded #2 and Minnesota is a host, so it shouldn't matter.

I come up with

Code:
                          Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
                          Lowell		Boston Coll	Michigan	Ferris State
                          Boston U	Union		Minnesota	Minn-Duluth
                          Denver		Maine		Mich State 	Miami
                          Ohio State	AHA Champ	Cornell		North Dakota
                          Given the squads in the tourney, basically about the best possible set up for the tournament from an attendance/travel/integrity perspective. The only real potential change that i could see would be to move Cornell and North Dakota to save a flight. Overall though, I agree.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Given the squads in the tourney, basically about the best possible set up for the tournament from an attendance/travel/integrity perspective. The only real potential change that i could see would be to move Cornell and North Dakota to save a flight. Overall though, I agree.
                            That would be a hell of a penalty for the #2 overall seed.

Comment

That would be a hell of a penalty for the #2 overall seed.
                              To play the #14 instead of the #15 overall seed?
                              North Dakota

Comment

To play the #14 instead of the #15 overall seed?
                                Not just any #14 seed. North Dakota in St. Paul.
                                Although the Minnesota fans in attendance might actually cheer for the Wolverines

Comment

Working...
                                X