X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Ya, I just don't see the committee sending the #1 overall seed to St. Paul so they can play Minnesota.
    We had a strong debate about this. The argument that won out was that at what point are you really just protecting the #14 seed? Further, I think if this was Mankato instead of UMTC, hardly anyone would worry about it.

Also, has the #1 overall seed ever played a regional host in the first round? Or, has there ever been a scenario where the #1 seed was moved to avoid having to play a regional host in the first round?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Here is this week's College Hockey Weekly Bracketology...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/C..._Pairwise.html

(they also have an alternate bracket at the bottom in text format)

Also, here is the CHW Tournament Forecast for this week...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...-Forecast.html
      So you guys have the Gophers making it back to a #2? I'd be happy with that scenario.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        So you guys have the Gophers making it back to a #2? I'd be happy with that scenario.
        Well, when 2 of the 8 guys on the voting panel are Gopher fans...

In all seriousness, I have Minnesota as a #2 seed in my ballot. They have a favorable schedule down the stretch, and they usually play well at the X, so it is not unthinkable that they will win the MacNaughton, and at least play for the Broadmoor at the Final Five. If they do that, they will rise in the Pairwise.
        North Dakota

Comment

We had a strong debate about this. The argument that won out was that at what point are you really just protecting the #14 seed? Further, I think if this was Mankato instead of UMTC, hardly anyone would worry about it.

Also, has the #1 overall seed ever played a regional host in the first round? Or, has there ever been a scenario where the #1 seed was moved to avoid having to play a regional host in the first round?
          That's just it though. It's my understanding Mankato wouldn't have nearly the home crowd advantage as the Gophers in St. Paul. Not sure on your questions. We know there have been #1 seeds that have been "screwed", but I don't know about #1 overall seeds (for an opening round game at least).

Comment

Well, when 2 of the 8 guys on the voting panel are Gopher fans...

In all seriousness, I have Minnesota as a #2 seed in my ballot. They have a favorable schedule down the stretch, and they usually play well at the X, so it is not unthinkable that they will win the MacNaughton, and at least play for the Broadmoor at the Final Five. If they do that, they will rise in the Pairwise.
            Hope you're right. I'm starting to get worried.

Also, my apologies for the Gophers not holding up their end of the deal. UND got a split at UMD, but the Gophers crapped the bed in Denver. This will be the end of UND/Minnesota deal making, I'm guessing. It was a bad idea in the first place.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              That's just it though. It's my understanding Mankato wouldn't have nearly the home crowd advantage as the Gophers in St. Paul. Not sure on your questions. We know there have been #1 seeds that have been "screwed", but I don't know about #1 overall seeds (for an opening round game at least).
              The big thing for us during our discussions was that we thought the NCAA would want to capitalize on having two Boston #1 seeds out East. That being said, the selection committee has done a pretty good job of not going after serious money grabs when they've had the chance. At this point, it obviously doesn't really matter because these aren't the final pairwise standings, but it is still fun to talk about.
              North Dakota

Comment

Hope you're right. I'm starting to get worried.

Also, my apologies for the Gophers not holding up their end of the deal. UND got a split at UMD, but the Gophers crapped the bed in Denver. This will be the end of UND/Minnesota deal making, I'm guessing. It was a bad idea in the first place.
                It was disappointing, but it happens. I think Minnesota fans need to realize (and many already do) that the Gophers are not the best team in college hockey this year. They are inconsistent, but have the talent to make a run. If Patterson plays well (something he did not do this past weekend from what I saw), and they get timely scoring they will be alright. I guess my advice would be to enjoy the rest of the season, celebrate the hell out of a MacNaughton or Broadmoor (or both) if they come, and enjoy the NCAA Tournament. Anything can happen, so long as you make the tourney.
                North Dakota

Comment

BC (#3 overall) was moved last year to avoid host UNH (also a conference rival). That is the only time a host has been a #4 seed since going to 16 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    BC (#3 overall) was moved last year to avoid host UNH (also a conference rival). That is the only time a host has been a #4 seed since going to 16 teams.
                    Interesting. Obviously, that was primarily done to avoid the intra-conference matchup. In 2006, was Minnesota the #1 overall seed, or was Wisconsin?
                    North Dakota

Comment

Interesting. Obviously, that was primarily done to avoid the intra-conference matchup. In 2006, was Minnesota the #1 overall seed, or was Wisconsin?
                      Wisconsin was #1 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Wisconsin was #1 overall.
                        Well ****...that probably would have been the closest situation to the current situation that we have, as I can't imagine the selection committee would have sent Wisconsin to the Ralph and Minnesota to Green Bay
                        North Dakota

Comment

It was disappointing, but it happens. I think Minnesota fans need to realize (and many already do) that the Gophers are not the best team in college hockey this year. They are inconsistent, but have the talent to make a run. If Patterson plays well (something he did not do this past weekend from what I saw), and they get timely scoring they will be alright. I guess my advice would be to enjoy the rest of the season, celebrate the hell out of a MacNaughton or Broadmoor (or both) if they come, and enjoy the NCAA Tournament. Anything can happen, so long as you make the tourney.
                          I just want them to make the tourney, that is all I care about. The way they played last weekend, I don't see that happening though. I'll still cheer them on, but they sure are making it tough on themselves.

EDIT: Patterson played ok on Saturday but he sucked on Friday. They need him to be rock solid to succeed right now because they aren't scoring as much as they did early in the year.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Whatever happens in the Springs, the pairwise should look like this

1 Boston Coll (HE)
                            2 Ferris State (CC)
                            3 Boston Univ (HE)
                            4 Minn-Duluth (WC)
                            5 Michigan (CC)
                            6 Mass-Lowell (HE)
                            7 Denver U (WC)
                            8 Maine (HE)
                            9 Union (EC)
                            10 Minnesota (WC)
                            11 Mich State (CC)
                            12 Miami (CC)
                            13 North Dakota (WC)
                            14 Ohio State (CC)
                            15 Northern Mich (CC)
                            ---
                            16 Merrimack (HE)
                            17 Cornell (EC)

Which gives us

Code:
                            Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul		Green Bay
                            Boston U	Boston Coll	Minn-Duluth		Ferris St
                            Lowell		Maine		Michigan		Denver
                            Mich State	Union		Minnesota		Miami
                            Northern Mich	AHA Champ	Ohio State		North Dakota

Comment

I just want them to make the tourney, that is all I care about. The way they played last weekend, I don't see that happening though.
                              They played poorly on Friday but decently on Saturday and deserved better than 0 points on the weekend.

Basing their NCAA hopes on a bad weekend in Denver is a bit much in my view.

Comment

Priceless, only difference I have is MSU in Green Bay and Miami in Bridgeport.

Comment

Working...
                                X