Comment

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Bridgeport:

1. UML
        2. BC
        3. Notre Dame
        4. Michigan State
        The good news for MSU is that they wouldn't have to face UM-L on home ice at Munn Arena.
        No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Gentry, ND and Union were virtually tied...figured the committee would go with the BC/ND showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
            The good news for MSU is that they wouldn't have to face UM-L on home ice at Munn Arena.
            the result, however, would be about the same.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Gentry, ND and Union were virtually tied...figured the committee would go with the BC/ND showdown.
              Dangit, that only works at the actual F4. The Whioux win that regional matchup.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                Personally I like the tournament as single eliminaton at "neutral sites". When looking at regionals since the tournament went to its current format it seems like Worcester and Manchester should rotate hosting the Northeast, Albany and Bridgeport the East, Grand Rapids and Green Bay the Midwest and St. Paul and somewhere else there was no one clear. I would keep those as the regional sites and dump the "host school tags" a one seed should not get punished because a conference school is an at large 4 seed and a host i.e. BC last year going to St Louis and UNH staying at home despite being the 13 seed overall
                I agree completely. I know they think this helps with attendance, but I think integrity of the bracket should be priority.

For the West or Midwest regional, how about the Palace in Auburn Hills or All-State Arena or Sears Center in Chicago?
                "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                  I agree completely. I know they think this helps with attendance, but I think integrity of the bracket should be priority.

For the West or Midwest regional, how about the Palace in Auburn Hills or All-State Arena or Sears Center in Chicago?
                  The Palace Experiment with hockey has been confined to the occasional one game- last time it was Michigan/Notre Dame there in 2008. The ice and boards were awful. If the IHL was still around and the Vipers still played there (where there was consistent care and intelligence) then it may be an option. You still have to put up temporary ice and boards over a hardwood surface. The Pistons never liked it, nor did Davidson. No idea if the new owner, Tom Gores, even has an idea of what hockey is (I'm being sarcastic, he's an MSU grad) let alone want an event placed there. I also didn't like the sightlines there, too far from the ice. But, it is a thought and it would be close to both Michigan and MSU to host.

I'd prefer Grand Rapids, though. They do a good job there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Dangit, that only works at the actual F4. The Whioux win that regional matchup.
                    Did you forget one of them faces? ND = Notre Dame. UND = North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      The shootouts mean nothing to the NCAA standings and PairWise Rankings. In the big picture, they are irrelevent.
                      *facepalm* Whoa. Stop. This isn't about the PWR.

The What-If calculator available on SiouxSports is only used to predict the final positioning for each conference. It has NO feature to take your "what-if" for each conference and generate a PWR ranking from that.

When the CCHA first adopted the three point system, they tried to shoe-horn the points into their "What-If" calculations. But since their code was designed to check, balance, and auto-fill against the traditional point systems, the wacky "5 points for one team, one point for the other" doesn't allow the same check and balance. People using the "What-If" calculator needed to be aware that when they selected (for example) Northern Michigan to tie against Bowling Green, they needed to guess who wins the shootout and correctly select both teams guessed points.

Currently, if you select "Michigan tech to tie against Nebraska Omaha," it automatically fills the Nebraska Omaha selection with a tie. http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/
                      Last edited by aparch; 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Looks like the USCHO bracketologist doesn't think the committee would make the BC/ND showdown happen in Bridgeport. He went with the alternative of BC/Union in Bridgeport and Merrimack/ND in Worcester.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                          Well, if you want the first two rounds to take two weekends instead of one, you have teams 1-8 host best-of-threes on their home rinks with the winners advancing to a couple of single-elimination regionals. The downside of this is it would eliminate that off weekend between regionals and the Frozen Four. However, the atmosphere would certainly be better - at least for the first round (whether or not we want to reward teams with home ice using the flawed pairwise is another matter entirely).
                          You lose TV coverage of the full tournament. That's one advantage to the current format.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            No idea if the new owner, Tom Gores, even has an idea of what hockey is (I'm being sarcastic, he's an MSU grad) let alone want an event placed there.
                            You were right the first time...
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Code:
                              Bridgeport	Worcester	St. Paul	Green Bay
                              Boston U	Lowell		Ferris State 	Boston College
                              Michigan	Denver		Minnesota	Minn-Duluth
                              Union		Merrimack	Maine		Mich State
                              Notre Dame	AHA Champ	North Dakota	Northern Mich

Comment

Friday, 2/10 nine of the twenty top-ranked teams including the top four and seven of the top ten lost to lower-ranked or unranked teams. At this time assigning who will oppose who in the playoffs, let alone where, looks to be premature.

Comment

Working...
                                X