• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    And back to the PWR:
    I am using John Whelan's site. http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi?krach

I think I did that right. Anyway, you can input future results there and see the effect they have on PWR, RPI, KRACH...

So, I tried all the results from Monday night's upcoming games, except shootouts, and in all cases, I found Northern Michigan falling out of the field.

What is happening???
    Be careful with that site. It doesn't pick up the first three games of the season.

Paste in
    20111001 LS 1 AH 0 NC
    20111002 LS 1 AH 0 NC
    20111004 Ni 0 Mi 1 NC

Comment

Isn't there talk about returning to Campus for a 2 out of 3 round of 16, then a one night super-regional in the East and West before going to the FF?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Someone else should have put a bid on that regional. I know that was the case in 2003, where Michigan had the only bid for that regional.
        Our AD will never host for hockey, and it's *** shame. I can't wait for GDF to leave as the football is imploding with his hiring of Spaz as the coach. I will never set foot in Alumni as long as he is the AD.
        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

And back to the PWR:
          I am using John Whelan's site. http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi?krach
          soiuxsports.com usually has a good 'what if' calculator. But I don't think it's up until the playoffs.
          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
            soiuxsports.com usually has a good 'what if' calculator. But I don't think it's up until the playoffs.
            The What-If is up for the regular season, but they haven't added a CCHA section since they went to the 3 point system. So its kind of useless.
            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
            2006-2007: 15-24-2
            2007-2008: 20-20-4
            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Money?

We have this discussion every year. If I'm a casual hockey fan ......
              This is like saying "I am a casual lacross fan". Or "casual women's soccer fan". Or "every once in a while I leave my wife and go get butt sex from a guy".

Few and far between in the general population.

WE like the sport. But WE are small. WE are even smaller as fans of college teams participating in the sport.

Which is fine.

But it breeds situations and issues like this.

We deal with it. Whatever.

But to think we could have full house neutral sites for regionals like basketball is silly. Even in "hockey cities".

That being said, it is still preferable to having a host school play a regional in their own bldg banged out with their own fans.

I've no perfect solution. Nobody else seems to either.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                The What-If is up for the regular season, but they haven't added a CCHA section since they went to the 3 point system. So its kind of useless.
                The shootouts mean nothing to the NCAA standings and PairWise Rankings. In the big picture, they are irrelevent.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Thanks. I tried that, but it seems to be for the purpose of seeing conference results. We of course are more interested in PWR here. Did I miss a page there on siouxsports?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    I've no perfect solution. Nobody else seems to either.
                    Well, if you want the first two rounds to take two weekends instead of one, you have teams 1-8 host best-of-threes on their home rinks with the winners advancing to a couple of single-elimination regionals. The downside of this is it would eliminate that off weekend between regionals and the Frozen Four. However, the atmosphere would certainly be better - at least for the first round (whether or not we want to reward teams with home ice using the flawed pairwise is another matter entirely).

Comment

Personally I like the tournament as single eliminaton at "neutral sites". When looking at regionals since the tournament went to its current format it seems like Worcester and Manchester should rotate hosting the Northeast, Albany and Bridgeport the East, Grand Rapids and Green Bay the Midwest and St. Paul and somewhere else there was no one clear. I would keep those as the regional sites and dump the "host school tags" a one seed should not get punished because a conference school is an at large 4 seed and a host i.e. BC last year going to St Louis and UNH staying at home despite being the 13 seed overall
                      Rinks Visited
                      DCU Center
                      Tulley Forum
                      TD Garden
                      Tsongas Arena
                      J. Thom Lawler Arena
                      Conte Forum
                      Whittemore Center
                      Agganis Arena
                      Verizon Center
                      Gutterson Fieldhouse
                      Matthews Arena
                      Thompson Arena
                      Mullins Center
                      Alfond Arena
                      Schneider Arena
                      Magness Arena
                      Ingallas Arena
                      Hart Center
                      Prudential Center
                      TD Bank Sports Center
                      John A Ryan
                      Lynah Rink
                      Appleton Arena
                      Cheel Arena
                      Germain Arena
                      XL Center
                      Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Thanks. I tried that, but it seems to be for the purpose of seeing conference results. We of course are more interested in PWR here. Did I miss a page there on siouxsports?
                        I think SS only has the What-If calculators for the regular season. This site and College Hockey News put up pairwise calculators, but only after the opening rounds of each conference playoff are finished.

I don't think there is an ideal solution to creating both a great tournament environment AND having the system fair to all teams given the somewhat flawed system we have to select and seed the field. I wish the NCAA would stop trying to serve the two interests. I don't like the idea of trying to place the teams sort of in a strict 1-16, 2-15, 8-9 etc model, but allowing for SOME tweaking (host teams, avoiding intra conference games, "tournament atmosphere"). Either place them strictly based on their seed, or place them geographically.

We already place the #1 seeds closest to home in order of their seed. Why not do this with all 16 teams? You will likely end up having the majority of teams as close to home as possible, which would help with atmosphere and attendance.

We allow for some movement within the seeding bands. Why not just do it with all of them? You will still have a "1" seed playing a "4" seed this way. It may punish an overall #1 by having them play a team seeded higher than 16 to open the tournament, but then it may aid them later on by giving them a potentially easier team to beat to go to the FF or to win it all. And since we do the tweaking I mentioned already, we often see teams play a game against a seed that doesn't follow the strict 1-16, 8-9 model at any point during the tourney.

edited to add that I would also be in favor of re-seeding the FF in this scenario. I believe they place the field now with the assumption that all the #1 seeds advance to the FF and in that circumstance, 1 overall will play 4 and 2 will play 3. In this model, just re-seed as needed to reward the highest seeded team.
                        Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Nope, SiouxSports has never bothered with a PWR calculator because I've always thought Whelan had a perfectly good one. His isn't the most user-friendly thing in the world, but given that it's targeted toward a pretty sophisticated audience, I've always thought it appropriate. Instead I've tried to fill in around the edges for amateur PWR analysts with things like the RPI details, PWR details, and forecasts from the PWR simulator.

Is there something else you'd like to see that would help you with your own analysis of the PWR?

Comment

Thanks Jim. The problem we have here is that Whelan's site is great. However, this year there are 3 games not include in the script, and it makes everything come out wrong. I sent him an email a few years ago, when I was first understanding what KRACH actually does, and he replied. But, he didn't respond to me this year when I had another question. So, I don't know how to get him to rectify it.

i should clarify. His calculator works correctly when using the "use actual game scores" button. But, the "user defined setting" or whatever he calls that, where you input your own scores, doesn't have those 3 games. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                              Nope, SiouxSports has never bothered with a PWR calculator because I've always thought Whelan had a perfectly good one. His isn't the most user-friendly thing in the world, but given that it's targeted toward a pretty sophisticated audience, I've always thought it appropriate. Instead I've tried to fill in around the edges for amateur PWR analysts with things like the RPI details, PWR details, and forecasts from the PWR simulator.

Is there something else you'd like to see that would help you with your own analysis of the PWR?
                              Hey Jim, if you want to go bigger talk to me... I've floated out a certain idea more than a few times... would love to make it work but its a little intensive. If you're crazy enough we could try to make it work... at least from the point of the HEA quarterfinals on out.

--Pat
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Going into this weekend, this is what I came up with:

Worcester:

1. BU
                                2. Merrimack
                                3. Union
                                4. Northern Michigan

Bridgeport:

1. UML
                                2. BC
                                3. Notre Dame
                                4. Michigan State

Green Bay:

1. Michigan