X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
    Oh, and little details, 2013, Brown hosts in Providence ("technically" again), UNH hosts in Manchester (that's, what, about 45 minutes from campus?), and BGSU hosts in Toledo (about a half hour, give or take a minute).

Grand Rapids is over 2 hours from Ann Arbor.
    I wasnt trying to be a smart ***** with my comment. Michigan will pack that building when they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      How do you think UMD feels? They just built a brand new facility with roughly the same capacity as Yost, but will likely never host. And they are further from the X than you are from Grand Rapids. In fact, there is going to be an in-state regional and they might not even be in it.
      And that's the point, too. It's a broken system.

I'd also like to (I guess?) third IrishHockeyFan's comments above. Spot on. Does the NCAA have a clue on demand for events like these? Do they care?

Comment

• Originally posted by UMBand View Post
        And that's the point, too. It's a broken system.

I'd also like to (I guess?) third IrishHockeyFan's comments above. Spot on. Does the NCAA have a clue on demand for events like these? Do they care?
        Like I said, I can see your point. I was just explaining what the NCAA has said (or at least I've read). I think attacking regionals in Minnesota from a demand standpoint is a poor argument though. Sure, without Minnesota or North Dakota making the regional, they may not sell out all 18,000 seats. But I'm sure the same could be said of a regional in Michigan without Michigan or Michigan State.
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          Like I said, I can see your point. I was just explaining what the NCAA has said (or at least I've read). I think attacking regionals in Minnesota from a demand standpoint is a poor argument though. Sure, without Minnesota or North Dakota making the regional, they may not sell out all 18,000 seats. But I'm sure the same could be said of a regional in Michigan without Michigan or Michigan State.
          Oh, no, I wasn't attacking MN from a demand standpoint. Of course that's going to sell. I was attacking the NCAA's twisted notion that arenas of that general size (like Knickerbocker in Albany, which was like 12,000 seats too big) meet the demand for this kind of event in most cases. It's just absurd, especially when Day 2 will inevitably have 1/2-2/3 (at best) the attendance of Day 1 in this format in most scenarios.

Heck, it's a USCHO tradition the week after regionals to pore over yet another year's dismal attendance. You'd think someone at the national office would notice when they looked at the (inflated) numbers, which tends to indicate to me that they simply don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMBand View Post
            Oh, no, I wasn't attacking MN from a demand standpoint. Of course that's going to sell. I was attacking the NCAA's twisted notion that arenas of that general size (like Knickerbocker in Albany, which was like 12,000 seats too big) meet the demand for this kind of event in most cases. It's just absurd, especially when Day 2 will inevitably have 1/2-2/3 (at best) the attendance of Day 1 in this format in most scenarios.

Heck, it's a USCHO tradition the week after regionals to pore over yet another year's dismal attendance. You'd think someone at the national office would notice when they looked at the (inflated) numbers, which tends to indicate to me that they simply don't care.
            Then I think we're on the same page. Like I said, I think you have a great point. I was just explaining what the NCAA is allegedly using as it's criteria. Which we both agree is flawed
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

So Minnesota shouldn't be able to host at the Xcel because Joe Louis Arena has a stick up its butt?
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

I think campus sites should be allowed because those arenas are more conducive to good crowds and playoff hockey. I just don't think the "host" should play there. Do away with the host automatically gets in to that regional.

Comment

Here's the problem: you can have a team like Wisconsin hosting a regional, with them getting shipped elsewhere, and the regional actually in Wisconsin drawing about 1800 for the weekend. And now we're right back to where we started.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Here's the problem: you can have a team like Wisconsin hosting a regional, with them getting shipped elsewhere, and the regional actually in Wisconsin drawing about 1800 for the weekend. And now we're right back to where we started.
                    Well, if fans won't travel to see their teams in other regionals, why not go to a game in your back yard? The locations where there is perilously low attendance are in areas nowhere near college hockey fanbases.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Forgot about that. For some reason I thought I remembered the 2009 regional being at the X. Good question. I'd be surprised if either hosts one again. If they do, you have a valid point of contention.
                      How could anyone forget the "Miracle at Mariucci"? I'll never forget that game
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Well, if fans won't travel to see their teams in other regionals, why not go to a game in your back yard? The locations where there is perilously low attendance are in areas nowhere near college hockey fanbases.
                        You're kidding right? Half the fans don't even bother to stay for the other game at a regional during the first day, either arriving only in time for their game, or leaving at its conclusion. People don't care about watching a team they don't root for even if they have traveled some distance to get to a regional and of course have already paid for both games.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          You're kidding right? Half the fans don't even bother to stay for the other game at a regional during the first day, either arriving only in time for their game, or leaving at its conclusion. People don't care about watching a team they don't root for even if they have traveled some distance to get to a regional and of course have already paid for both games.
                          And even then...
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So how do you think schools like Union feel about it? Would they rather play Minnesota in front of 10,000 Gopher fans for their most important game of the year? or play them on neutral ice? Schools like Union, AFA, or RIT rarely play in front of 2,000 anyway, so a dismal regional crowd of 4,000 is only dismal in our eyes. That's not to demean the AHA, because FSU, NMU, and even Miami have crowds less than 4,000. I'd rather have 4,000 hockey fans in a neutral ice arena that holds 10K than subject a school to play another school on its home ice. That being said, I don't know where you could play a game in Minnesota without giving the Gophers the edge in fan support. The Xcel is the best arena and as neutral as you are going to get anyway without denying Minnesota the regional altogether. Why would you do that?
                            Last edited by Wol4ine; 02-05-2012, 10:53 PM.
                            No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

And back to the PWR:
                              I am using John Whelan's site. http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi?krach

I think I did that right. Anyway, you can input future results there and see the effect they have on PWR, RPI, KRACH...

So, I tried all the results from Monday night's upcoming games, except shootouts, and in all cases, I found Northern Michigan falling out of the field.

What is happening???

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Money?

We have this discussion every year. If I'm a casual hockey fan do I want to spend $80 a ticket for two days to watch college teams to which I have zero attachment and will never see again, or 8 $10 tickets to watch an AHL team that is going to be here for a while. If I'm a parent that's eight games of entertainment vs three, five more chances to spend quality time with my kid. That's a no brainer for most people.

Comment

Working...
                                X