X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    No kidding it would be an unfair advantage. But it would be an unfair advantage being held on ANY campus. That's why they are trying to move away from on-campus regionals all together. Trying to make it out to be just a Michigan/Yost thing is ridiculous.

Per USCHO

On the surface, it sounds like a decent idea in the interest of overall attendance and atmosphere. Nothing will be better than a home rink for fostering an intense, interested setting, but the NCAA has also realized there are overwhelming advantages to playing at home, and we’ve seen in recent years a move away from campus sites for the regionals.
    Absolutely.

MN, MI, BC, BU, UND, UW and many others would have a huge advantage to a campus regional, and very lopsided crowds, all selling out. Its not exclusive to Yost, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      Is there not a minimum seating capacity requirement on facilities also? I thought Yost did not qualify on the basis of that requirement as well.
      I just tried googling it for a while and couldn't find any definitive listing of requirements for an arena to qualify for a bid, other than a recent "emphasis on neutral-site arenas with NHL-sized ice." Yost has it covered on the rink requirement.

The idea that the NCAA would be concerned about a 6600-seat rink (which can cram almost 7000 on a busy night) for a regional is laughable, given the fact that there have been not a few regionals in the past few years where it's debatable if 6600 people were in the seats for both sessions combined. Heck, in Albany in '08, they curtained off most of the upper bowl for Day 2. Perhaps they should also think about ticket prices, too, but that's another argument.

Comment

No kidding it would be an unfair advantage. But it would be an unfair advantage being held on ANY campus. That's why they are trying to move away from on-campus regionals all together. Trying to make it out to be just a Michigan/Yost thing is ridiculous.

Per USCHO

On the surface, it sounds like a decent idea in the interest of overall attendance and atmosphere. Nothing will be better than a home rink for fostering an intense, interested setting, but the NCAA has also realized there are overwhelming advantages to playing at home, and we’ve seen in recent years a move away from campus sites for the regionals.
        So Minnesota can host at XCel, which is considered off-campus by a mere formality? It's, what, 5 miles from campus?

If you want non-campus sites, then actually make them non-campus AND non-proximity. That's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Absolutely.

MN, MI, BC, BU, UND, UW and many others would have a huge advantage to a campus regional, and very lopsided crowds, all selling out. Its not exclusive to Yost, sorry.
          If the NCAA spokesman meant it would be an extremely unfair advantage on any campus, then why did Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin all get on-campus regionals after that article was written? And if the atmosphere was as equally unruly at those sites as it was at Yost, why didn't those schools get a crowd control citation from the NCAA?

Comment

• Originally posted by kdilks View Post
            If the NCAA spokesman meant it would be an extremely unfair advantage on any campus, then why did Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin all get on-campus regionals after that article was written? And if the atmosphere was as equally unruly at those sites as it was at Yost, why didn't those schools get a crowd control citation from the NCAA?
            I don't remember the last time Mariucci or the Kohl Center hosted a regional. And are you actually bragging about getting a citation for being "unruly"?
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I don't remember the last time Mariucci or the Kohl Center hosted a regional.
              Mariucci in 2009, Kohl Center in 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMBand View Post
                So Minnesota can host at XCel, which is considered off-campus by a mere formality? It's, what, 5 miles from campus?

If you want non-campus sites, then actually make them non-campus AND non-proximity. That's the point.
                Write a letter to the NCAA. I'm sure they have their reasons. I was just making fun of your absurd commentary on how Yost is somehow the most difficult place in hockey to play.

Comment

Mariucci in 2009, Kohl Center in 2008.
                  Forgot about that. For some reason I thought I remembered the 2009 regional being at the X. Good question. I'd be surprised if either hosts one again. If they do, you have a valid point of contention.

Comment

Write a letter to the NCAA. I'm sure they have their reasons. I was just making fun of your absurd commentary on how Yost is somehow the most difficult place in hockey to play.
                    Please show me where I said that.

Comment

EDIT: double

Comment

EDIT: double
                        I thought that was the point you were trying to make. That the primary reason Yost isn't allowed to host a regional is because it's so "intimidating"? I think it has more to do with it's location and capacity.

Comment

I thought that was the point you were trying to make. That the primary reason Yost isn't allowed to host a regional is because it's so "intimidating"? I think it has more to do with it's location and capacity.
                          Colorado College has hosted regionals on campus in a comparably sized building multiple times since Yost's last regional in 2003. And Colorado College isn't nearly as centrally located in the college hockey world as Ann Arbor is.

Comment

Colorado College has hosted regionals on campus in a comparably sized building multiple times since Yost's last regional in 2003. And Colorado College isn't nearly as centrally located in the college hockey world as Ann Arbor is.
                            Like I said, I read they are trying to move away from smaller, on-campus venues. Not sure if this was a definitive requirement (and if so, when this decision was made) or more of a guideline. If there are other smaller, on campus venues hat host in the future, I would say you have a valid point.

Comment

Like I said, I read they are trying to move away from smaller, on-campus venues. Not sure if this was a definitive requirement (and if so, when this decision was made) or more of a guideline. If there are other smaller, on campus venues hat host in the future, I would say you have a valid point.
                              Changes nothing about the hypocrisy of placing those non-campus venues within a stones-throw of said campuses, while other schools are either told "no," or forced to "host" at sites hours away from their campuses.

Comment

Changes nothing about the hypocrisy of placing those non-campus venues within a stones-throw of said campuses, while other schools are either told "no," or forced to "host" at sites hours away from their campuses.
                                $$$$ Large capacity and they technically aren't on campus. If Joe Louis Arena was in Ann Arbor, they probably wouldn't be opposed to playing there either.

19,000 tickets sold > 7,000 tickets sold

Comment

Working...
                                X