Clear All

• Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Code:
    Bridgeport	Worcester	Green Bay		St Paul
    3) Lowell	1) BU		4) Minn-Duluth		2) Michigan
    6) Boston Coll	7) Merrimack	5) Ferris St		8) Minnesota
    11) Union	10) Notre Dame  12) OSU	  	        9) Maine
    14) NMU  	16) AHA Champ	13) MSU		        15) UND
    This looks a little more pure. UMD should carry the GB regional, if not you could swap NMU/MSU as they are tied in the PWR. Personally, I hope Michigan doesn't have to go through a regional that stacked.
    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well, that scenario generally fits in with the ongoing trend of Michigan getting shipped off to a hometown regional for someone else, while they themselves never get to play in a regional within a hundred miles of Ann Arbor. I'll stop complaining about it when Michigan actually plays in a regional that isn't either in the middle of nowhere in front of a crowd of 50 people or a rabid home crowd for one of the three other teams.

Comment

Wol4ine, Ferris State and Minnesota-Duluth flipped due to UMD's loss at Anchorage.

EDIT: That also resulted in Minnesota and Merrimack flipping 7 and 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          The pairwise still has many twists and turns, but they are also pretty accurate, even this far out. In mid-January the pairwise are 80% on picking the field and 31% on picking the final place. After the Beanpot concludes and non-conference games are mostly finalized, it jumps to 42% accuracy.
          I don't question that at all. In looking at the PWR currently I see a very tight pack from about 7th-21st which means it will be very volatile (as it always is) in the last four weeks of the season. The only team that has not taken huge hits all season in the PWR is UMD (until tonight when they lost to UAA!!!). So given that development I take them off my list for a one seed in Green Bay and move them to two seed in East Lansing (joke--I don't even care where the regionals are). There loss proves my point---Everyone has been bouncing all over the place. Not much sense in figuring out seedings and all that crap at this point IMO. I'll shut up and let you all keep playing. I'll be back in March.
          Last edited by MagnessMan; 02-05-2012, 01:13 AM.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

With the changes after the UMD/UAA game taken into account:

Code:
            Bridgeport	Worcester	Green Bay	St Paul
            3) Lowell	1) BU		2) Michigan	4) Ferris State
            6) Boston Coll	8) Merrimack	5) Minn-Duluth	7) Minnesota
            10) Notre Dame	11) Union      12) Ohio State	9) Maine
            13) Mich. St.   14) NMU        16) AHA Champ   15) North Dakota
            Last edited by redwings8831; 02-05-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
              With the changes after the UMD/UAA game taken into account:

Code:
              Bridgeport	Worcester	Green Bay	St Paul
              3) Lowell	1) BU		2) Michigan	4) Ferris State
              6) Boston Coll	8) Merrimack	5) Minn-Duluth	7) Minnesota
              10) Notre Dame	11) Union      12) Ohio State	9) Maine
              13) Mich. St.   14) NMU        16) AHA Champ   15) North Dakota
              It's a mess, isn't it? All kinds of possibilities for adjustments. I don't know what I would call best, but you could do any of these things.

1) Ferris and Michigan don't have major travel issues to either Green Bay or St Paul, so swap them for bracket integrity.
              2) 6 CCHA teams in the field. Technically, we have more than 5, so we don't have to avoid first round matchups, so that means we could still put the AHA champ against BU in round one.
              3) What's the best way to avoid Merrimack/Maine? Swap with Union or with NoDame? Bracket integrity or travel? Maybe it makes more sense to swap NoDame and Maine? Or, since there are 5 HE teams, maybe there doesn't need to be a swap?

It's just a mess right now. But, we know it will sort itself out more. By the way, what is the rule about 5 teams? I know it has only come into play before when there were 2 #2s and 3 #3s from the same conference. Is that the only time the exception applies?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                By the way, what is the rule about 5 teams? I know it has only come into play before when there were 2 #2s and 3 #3s from the same conference. Is that the only time the exception applies?
                Theoretically it can be used any time a league gets 5 or more teams into the tournament. The Committee would rather have the #1 overall play #13 overall than have a first round conference game.

Comment

1 Boston University (HEA)
                  2t Michigan (B10)
                  2t Massachusetts-Lowell (HEA)
                  4 Ferris State (WCHA)

5 Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)
                  6 Boston College (HEA)
                  7t Minnesota (B10)
                  7t Merrimack (HEA)

9 Maine (HEA)
                  10t Notre Dame (HEA)
                  10t Union (ECAC)
                  12 Ohio State (B10)

13t Michigan State (B10)
                  13t Northern Michigan (WCHA)
                  15t North Dakota (NCHC)
                  15t Colorado College (WCHA)

hockey east-6 (1,3,6,8,9,10)
                  b10-4 (2,7,12,13)
                  wcha-2 (4,14)
                  nchc-2 (5,15)
                  ecac-1 (11)
                  aha-1 (16)
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Ferris is NOT in the WCHA.....yet.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

CC will be in the NCHC, not WCHA
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        They are in the WCHA as of now.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          They are in the WCHA as of now.
                          I realize that, but Minnesota and Michigan aren't in the Big Ten yet, Notre Dame has yet to move to Hockey East, and North Dakota isn't in the NCHC.

I think the poster was trying to show how the tournament field would break down by future conferences, but listed CC as a future WCHA team by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            sorry... though as they are outside right now, it didn't make a difference
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              sorry... though as they are outside right now, it didn't make a difference
                              No biggie

Thanks for the break-down. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Theoretically it can be used any time a league gets 5 or more teams into the tournament. The Committee would rather have the #1 overall play #13 overall than have a first round conference game.
                                Priceless,
                                Really appreciate the information. Can I ask your opinion on something? Do you think it makes sense for them to have that idea: 1v13 is better than intraconference matchup? And, what would your own thought be of some kind of subjectivity in the seeding part of making the bracket? For example, I totally agree with the idea that math alone decides the field. Things are too close for any other way. But, once we have decided the field, it seems the committee has hamstring itself with strict seeding bands. Sometimes it happens that #12 and #13 are really tied. And, that #12 is just what they need as a 4th seed to make a better bracket. Or, the #13 works better as the last #3 seed. Do you see what I am asking?

Comment

Working...
                                X