UConn Hires Consulting Firm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn Hires Consulting Firm

That article seems to have a strong bias in it. The whole notion of Hockey East extending an "open invitation" feels like a stretch to me. In the current state of UConn's Hockey Program I don't see much of a reason why Hockey East as a conference would want them in. Certainly after a lot of changes to the program, upgrades to the facilities, and showing potential of strong success they could be a program that Hockey East would be interested, but that is something that we'll not see in the next year to two. Hockey East has stated already that they are not in a rush to add a twelfth member just to ease scheduling.

Comment

The big question I guess is will HE want to give them a shot? I mean based on comments made this year it appeared BC AD did not want UCONN in the ACC since they can't get over the separation in 2004 and why should we think that they would feel any different about UCONN going to HE? Does HE require unanimous consent to admit a new member? I hope UCONN goes for it and gets in. Than we would finally have every state in New England with at least one team in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
        I mean based on comments made this year it appeared BC AD did not want UCONN in the ACC since they can't get over the separation in 2004 and why should we think that they would feel any different about UCONN going to HE? Does HE require unanimous consent to admit a new member? I hope UCONN goes for it and gets in. Than we would finally have every state in New England with at least one team in the conference.
        I hate UConn as much as anyone possibly can. I am also staunchly against UConn getting into the ACC. However, I don't know of too many people who feel the same way about hockey. Those of my friends who don't have UConn at the top of their list for HEA don't really have them that far down (assuming they are able to invest in the program).

If UConn doesn't get into Hockey East, I don't think it would be because BC doesn't want them there.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

There are 9 league votes (currently) that are not Boston college. I'd have to think if UConn presents a solid actualizable plan it would be an easy vote.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            That could just be short term. Though UConn doesn't seem to care too much about on-campus atmosphere for its sports, so who knows.
            With pretty valid reasons for both (40,000 would be a nightmare to clear out of Storrs on football game days, for one).

Originally posted by jml42691 View Post
            That article seems to have a strong bias in it. The whole notion of Hockey East extending an "open invitation" feels like a stretch to me. In the current state of UConn's Hockey Program I don't see much of a reason why Hockey East as a conference would want them in. Certainly after a lot of changes to the program, upgrades to the facilities, and showing potential of strong success they could be a program that Hockey East would be interested, but that is something that we'll not see in the next year to two. Hockey East has stated already that they are not in a rush to add a twelfth member just to ease scheduling.
            I think the "open invitation" is really more like "If you were to call, we won't put you through to voice mail, but you'd better not waste our time." The fact that HEA is in no rush is actually a boon for a potential UConn entry; it gives us time to do a thorough job in putting together our plan. If the league were truly in a rush, they'd have already moved.

The big question I guess is will HE want to give them a shot? I mean based on comments made this year it appeared BC AD did not want UCONN in the ACC since they can't get over the separation in 2004 and why should we think that they would feel any different about UCONN going to HE? Does HE require unanimous consent to admit a new member? I hope UCONN goes for it and gets in. Than we would finally have every state in New England with at least one team in the conference.
            The situations are far from analogous. The basic motivations I see in BC's desire to keep UConn out of the ACC are as follows: (1) the 2003 lawsuit and ensuing comments*, and (2) ensuring BC remains the top, or possibly only, major college football team in New England.

My understanding of the "Syrapitt" expansion was that (a) the ACC wanted to move quickly, (b) BC's influence over the process was increased because DeFilippo was on the three-man 'recommendation' committee (influence they would have not had had UConn been brought up to a full vote of the league presidents), (c) UConn was brought up as a potential candidate at some point in the process (I have no doubt that one of the unnamed ten teams that had applied for membership was UConn), and BC said, in essence, "We will keep this from happening if UConn is even considered." UConn wasn't considered, and Syracuse and Pitt were the two teams that got through to the actual vote of the members (not that we would have been a slam dunk entry; I'm certain Miami would join as a "no" based on the 2003 lawsuit, and it would not have been hard to convince FSU and Clemson to vote no on football grounds, which makes for <75%).

In hockey, only the first of the two considerations would affect BC's decision (since they're not even the only major college hockey team in their own city), and because Hockey East has no particular rush to get a 12th member, there's less likelihood of a situation arising where BC can have more than one vote's worth of influence over the proceedings. At this point, the only way BC can realistically keep UConn from entering is if the membership vote needs to be unanimous (and the other members would know that before they even tried to bring UConn up, meaning UConn would NEVER be a candidate as long as BC was a member).

*Which haven't stopped the two schools from playing contests in minor sports, mind, just football and hoops.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
              From the New Haven Register:
              Well, that confirms elimination of the sport is off the table.

I think it also means that they are not going to play many games in the HCC if $2MM a year is the primary cost for doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Well, that confirms elimination of the sport is off the table.

I think it also means that they are not going to play many games in the HCC if $2MM a year is the primary cost for doing that.
                I think the main cost is the scholarships in that...
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  I think the main cost is the scholarships in that...
                  You may be right. 36 x 40 = $1.44MM But you have to find places to put 18 women's rides. If there are not enough places then you have to stand up a whole new women's team or two which would be very expensive.

Comment

You may be right. 36 x 40 = $1.44MM But you have to find places to put 18 women's rides. If there are not enough places then you have to stand up a whole new women's team or two which would be very expensive.
                    Is UCONN at the max in every sport including Track and Field?

Also there seem to be some sports on the list here that UCONN does not have...
                    http://youngadults.about.com/od/coll...ncaasports.htm

One sport missing from the list is Beach volleyball which I know was added.

Anyway UCONN could probably add a couple of sports to piece together 18 scholarships say beach volleyball, rifling, and bowling. For coaching you can probably get someone to volunteer the first few years or so if they want to skimp. Most of those sports wouldnt require to much in terms of facilities.

Comment

Again, I'll say that my personal favorite is bowling... WilliBowl could prove useful.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

A more complete list of sports by allotment.

http://www.berecruited.com/resources...ship-allotment

Now assuming every womens sport is at the full allotment there aren't many sports UCONN has to choose from that could fill up 18 scholarships in one shot.

The sports with the highest number that UCONN does not have are

Equestrian 15
                        Rugby 12
                        Squash 12
                        Handball 10
                        Skiing 7

Now if UCONN already has an agriculture school and barns equestrian could make a lot of sense. Rugby seems like an obvious one. Skiing could be a good one as well. If they do add the scholarships I hope they pick a womens sport that they can be competitivein and win in.

Comment

Equestrian 15
                          Rugby 12
                          Squash 12
                          Handball 10
                          Skiing 7
                          Also women's gymnastics, which allows 12. Gymnastics also has a knock-on effect of being sponsored by many schools that UConn is aiming to be academic and athletic peers of.

Now if UCONN already has an agriculture school and barns equestrian could make a lot of sense. Rugby seems like an obvious one. Skiing could be a good one as well. If they do add the scholarships I hope they pick a womens sport that they can be competitivein and win in.
                          The women's polo team is quite competitive at the club level, so I'd say we're well set up for equestrian.
                          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

A more complete list of sports by allotment.

http://www.berecruited.com/resources...ship-allotment

Now assuming every womens sport is at the full allotment there aren't many sports UCONN has to choose from that could fill up 18 scholarships in one shot.

Equestrian 15
                            Rugby 12
                            Squash 12
                            Handball 10
                            Skiing 7

Nothing says the scholarships have to be allocated to NCAA-sponsored sports, either. The money could just as easily be thrown at the cheerleading/dance teams, provided they are under the purview of the athletics department.

The idea of a sand volleyball team at UConn just tickles me...
                            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                            2006 Time Person of the Year
                            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                              Nothing says the scholarships have to be allocated to NCAA-sponsored sports, either. The money could just as easily be thrown at the cheerleading/dance teams, provided they are under the purview of the athletics department.

Wear shoes, and then the sand won't tickle.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post

There'd have to be a reversal of the ruling in Biedeger v. Quinnipiac University before the first could be true for UConn. Maybe in another district someone could get away with it, since the ruling that competitive cheer did not count as a Title IX offset was made in Connecticut federal court, but the ruling would be binding on UConn.

Sand volleyball is totally legal, though, and it's even recognized as an emerging sport for women. And it's not like we don't have beaches here...we'd have one hell of a "home beach" advantage in November and December.
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X