PDA

View Full Version : UConn Hires Consulting Firm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

RSTuthill
12-24-2011, 11:52 AM
From the New Haven Register (http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com/2011/12/uconn-reevaluating-its-program.html):
Well, that confirms elimination of the sport is off the table.

I think it also means that they are not going to play many games in the HCC if $2MM a year is the primary cost for doing that.

The Zlax45
12-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, that confirms elimination of the sport is off the table.

I think it also means that they are not going to play many games in the HCC if $2MM a year is the primary cost for doing that.

I think the main cost is the scholarships in that...

RSTuthill
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I think the main cost is the scholarships in that...

You may be right. 36 x 40 = $1.44MM But you have to find places to put 18 women's rides. If there are not enough places then you have to stand up a whole new women's team or two which would be very expensive.

CHFAN222
12-24-2011, 10:07 PM
You may be right. 36 x 40 = $1.44MM But you have to find places to put 18 women's rides. If there are not enough places then you have to stand up a whole new women's team or two which would be very expensive.

Is UCONN at the max in every sport including Track and Field?

Also there seem to be some sports on the list here that UCONN does not have...
http://youngadults.about.com/od/collegeprep/g/ncaasports.htm

One sport missing from the list is Beach volleyball which I know was added.

Anyway UCONN could probably add a couple of sports to piece together 18 scholarships say beach volleyball, rifling, and bowling. For coaching you can probably get someone to volunteer the first few years or so if they want to skimp. Most of those sports wouldnt require to much in terms of facilities.

Patman
12-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Again, I'll say that my personal favorite is bowling... WilliBowl could prove useful.

CHFAN222
12-24-2011, 10:34 PM
A more complete list of sports by allotment.

http://www.berecruited.com/resources/recruiting-assistance-from-qput-me-in-coachq/ncaa-scholarship-allotment

Now assuming every womens sport is at the full allotment there aren't many sports UCONN has to choose from that could fill up 18 scholarships in one shot.

The sports with the highest number that UCONN does not have are

Equestrian 15
Rugby 12
Squash 12
Handball 10
Skiing 7

Now if UCONN already has an agriculture school and barns equestrian could make a lot of sense. Rugby seems like an obvious one. Skiing could be a good one as well. If they do add the scholarships I hope they pick a womens sport that they can be competitivein and win in.

kingdobbs
12-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Equestrian 15
Rugby 12
Squash 12
Handball 10
Skiing 7

Also women's gymnastics, which allows 12. Gymnastics also has a knock-on effect of being sponsored by many schools that UConn is aiming to be academic and athletic peers of.

Now if UCONN already has an agriculture school and barns equestrian could make a lot of sense. Rugby seems like an obvious one. Skiing could be a good one as well. If they do add the scholarships I hope they pick a womens sport that they can be competitivein and win in.

The women's polo team is quite competitive at the club level, so I'd say we're well set up for equestrian.

MikeAnderson
12-25-2011, 10:09 PM
A more complete list of sports by allotment.

http://www.berecruited.com/resources/recruiting-assistance-from-qput-me-in-coachq/ncaa-scholarship-allotment

Now assuming every womens sport is at the full allotment there aren't many sports UCONN has to choose from that could fill up 18 scholarships in one shot.

Equestrian 15
Rugby 12
Squash 12
Handball 10
Skiing 7

Nothing says the scholarships have to be allocated to NCAA-sponsored sports, either. The money could just as easily be thrown at the cheerleading/dance teams, provided they are under the purview of the athletics department.

The idea of a sand volleyball team at UConn just tickles me...

Ralph Baer
12-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Nothing says the scholarships have to be allocated to NCAA-sponsored sports, either. The money could just as easily be thrown at the cheerleading/dance teams, provided they are under the purview of the athletics department.

Wear shoes, and then the sand won't tickle. ;)

kingdobbs
12-26-2011, 07:02 AM

There'd have to be a reversal of the ruling in Biedeger v. Quinnipiac University before the first could be true for UConn. Maybe in another district someone could get away with it, since the ruling that competitive cheer did not count as a Title IX offset was made in Connecticut federal court, but the ruling would be binding on UConn.

Sand volleyball is totally legal, though, and it's even recognized as an emerging sport for women. And it's not like we don't have beaches here...we'd have one hell of a "home beach" advantage in November and December. :)

RSTuthill
12-26-2011, 11:49 AM
UConn has a high level club team in Alpine Skiing that competes in the McConnell Division of the USCSA, toughest in the east. The McConnell Division has all the USCSA varsity programs in the east. The UConn Invitational is January 12-13 at Jiminy Peak this year.

UConn also has a past national championship or two in Equestrian, I believe.

Spydey629
12-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Pardon me if this is a dumb question... how many scholarships does UConn offer for women's hockey? The full 18 alloted to the sport? :confused:

If it's any less that that, I would think they'd be in line for additional scholarships too.

Patman
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
UConn has a high level club team in Alpine Skiing that competes in the McConnell Division of the USCSA, toughest in the east. The McConnell Division has all the USCSA varsity programs in the east. The UConn Invitational is January 12-13 at Jiminy Peak this year.

I believe that the UConn paintball team also won a national title in my later years of grad school... but I don't think there are any schollies in that ;) :p

kingdobbs
12-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Pardon me if this is a dumb question... how many scholarships does UConn offer for women's hockey? The full 18 alloted to the sport? :confused:

If it's any less that that, I would think they'd be in line for additional scholarships too.

My understanding is that the full 18 are offered, as an offset to the extra 20 needed when football was upgraded to Division I-A.

TonyTheTiger20
12-27-2011, 10:11 AM
My understanding is that the full 18 are offeredThat's my guess, especially considering that their women's team is pretty decent (runner-up for the Hockey East title a couple years back).

RSTuthill
12-27-2011, 10:19 PM
http://animalscience.uconn.edu/equine/equestrianteam.php

http://www.varsityequestrian.com/universities.html

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/skiing/d1

http://www.skiing.uconn.edu/about.html

goldy_331
12-28-2011, 09:02 AM

But how are the bowling and badmiton teams doing?

RSTuthill
12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
But how are the bowling and badmiton teams doing?
Hehehe ... goldie_331, I am guessing you are a couch potato making fun of people actually who are up off their asses and doing a sport. But nonetheless you may be surprised to learn that bowling is actually an NCAA sport. Badminton I think is not, but it is an Olympic sport.

goldy_331
12-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Hehehe ... goldie_331, I am guessing you are a couch potato making fun of people actually who are up off their asses and doing a sport. But nonetheless you may be surprised to learn that bowling is actually an NCAA sport. Badminton I think is not, but it is an Olympic sport.

I am a couch potato because I'm old and broken down, not by choice. ;) If I wasn't so broken down I'd be playing old guy hockey (badly).

I'm making fun of the fringe sports, because they are fringe sports, like equestrian. I played a fringe sport in college as I was on the men's volleyball club (B team, not A). Yes, I'm well aware of bowling being NCAA and remain surprised that badminton is not yet. It's a varsity sport in Minnesota State High School League and much more physically demanding than bowling.

4four4
12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I am a couch potato because I'm old and broken down, not by choice. ;) If I wasn't so broken down I'd be playing old guy hockey (badly).

I'm making fun of the fringe sports, because they are fringe sports, like equestrian. I played a fringe sport in college as I was on the men's volleyball club (B team, not A). Yes, I'm well aware of bowling being NCAA and remain surprised that badminton is not yet. It's a varsity sport in Minnesota State High School League and much more physically demanding than bowling.

I played men's USVBA BB at Minnesota and enjoyed it. Good times.