Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn Hires Consulting Firm

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    The BCers will disagree... Both sides hate each other so much on cultural lines they can't not be rivals. The anger at the disagreement is sign enough.
    What is this culture that you speak of sir? The the BC leaving Big East basketball mess? Are you saying that if BC disagrees UCONN is out? Pretty high and mighty on your part. Between Robert Kraft and BC we in Connecticut have plenty to be suspicious about. Come to think of it, you are correct about the culture, Connecticut was founded because they didn't trust Boston.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
      I have been trying to figure out if the decision has already been made and the consultants are just going to put the independent evaluation imprimatur on it -- like in football -- or if this is really a clean sheet of paper evaluation. I have a hard time believing that this particular consulting group would recommend anything but going full bore, given their history, however. Gotta think they are going to recommend a pathway leading to application to HE for membership. No other outcome seems to make sense in my mind. UConn took at least two months to look at the program options internally. I think they already know what the conclusion will be, wouldn't you think?
      I read it as UConn trying to get an independent review of the financial requirements and the best path to accomplish it. We'll get an independent evaluation of the cost in regards to a rink, scholarships, equivalency in women's opportunities, advice on marketing strategy to donors, potential fans, and to the university at-large, as well as how we might best approach and discuss membership with Hockey East.

In other words, it gives the AD a lot of ammo to hit the board of trustees with when/if they need to get their approval.
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        Connecticut was founded because they didn't trust Boston.
        CT was founded because Bostonians and New Yorkers needed a place to take a dump travelling between the two cities.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          CT was founded because Bostonians and New Yorkers needed a place to take a dump travelling between the two cities.
          I found a similar use for New Jersey.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interesting story with some more speculation. Nothing new to report outside of what I've already seen.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...hanges-on-way/
            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

You beat me to it, Patman. In this case, axing a program after a wealthy alum just built the rink. But I highly doubt it.

I have been trying to figure out if the decision has already been made and the consultants are just going to put the independent evaluation imprimatur on it -- like in football -- or if this is really a clean sheet of paper evaluation. I have a hard time believing that this particular consulting group would recommend anything but going full bore, given their history, however. Gotta think they are going to recommend a pathway leading to application to HE for membership. No other outcome seems to make sense in my mind. UConn took at least two months to look at the program options internally. I think they already know what the conclusion will be, wouldn't you think?

And on a possible BC rivalry? If UConn ever gets into both HE and the ACC, that will be white hot compared to almost anything now. And they will schedule a hockey game on the evening of the afternoon football game just to intensify it. The football rivalry was already almost out of control by the time BC left for the ACC even though UConn was not quite as good as BC at that point in time.
              while I've been around long enough to know one should never say never, I have serious doubts that they would have hired a consultant to eliminate the program. While it might be done to justify closing down a very popular program or one highly identified with the University, I think you'd be hard pressed to say either of those things apply to UCONN. Nor frankly, do I think they would have made a point of announcing this to hockey donors. And as I said, if syou are cutting a program, usually you just cut it, usually late in the season.

Comment

I'd love to see UCONN's record their first couple years in Hockey East.
                RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I found a similar use for New Jersey.

I give Jersey a +1 for cheap gas!
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

RST,

I dont think a decision has bee made... Uconn still has some legitimate political obstacles both at the state level or on campus unless they want to torch the program... and still if they were going to torch it they'd just do it.

I think the Uconn people legitimately believe they don't know enough. Hockey is out of the mainstream understanding of major college athletics and I think they're legitimately trying to get a handle on what's going on
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      Nor frankly, do I think they would have made a point of announcing this to hockey donors.
                      Good point. And the Friends had it a good two or three days before they gave it to the press. Jim, Patman, and Kingdobbs, it looks like it may be shortly time for us to open our wallets. If it is to move to HE, I hope you will be joining me.
                      Last edited by RSTuthill; 12-23-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Good point. And the Friends had it a good two or three days before they gave it to the press. Jim, Patman, and Kingdobbs, it looks like it may be shortly time for us to open our wallets. If it is to move to HE, I hope you will be joining me.
                        If it happens I'll chip in half of what I give Lowell annually.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

From the New Haven Register:

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                            from the new haven register:
                            YES! I love it...
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                              From the New Haven Register:
                              It's a shame that they'd end up playing their games in Hartford instead of staying on-campus, but other than that, that sounds highly promising.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                It's a shame that they'd end up playing their games in Hartford instead of staying on-campus, but other than that, that sounds highly promising.
                                That could just be short term. Though UConn doesn't seem to care too much about on-campus atmosphere for its sports, so who knows.
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X