Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn Hires Consulting Firm

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    As far as travelling goes, I'm not sure it's all that big of a deal for regular season games and QF games. A lot of these schools do well with attendance with minimal travelling fans - that's not to say that HE schools don't travel well, many do but we don't see it until the playoffs and NCAAs roll around ... In other words, they fill up most of their arena with their own fans and only rely on a small % of attendance from opposing fans (not to be confused with big nonpartisan crowds that spike attendance in certain places with capacity that show up when the big boys are in town). When it comes to the HE tournament, it isn't really relevant since Yukon probably wouldn't get out of the QFs for the next what? 20 years? And I'll throw in that they will be a tremendous drag on attendance at the Garden if they do make it by some way of a miracle because of the NCAA bounceyball tournament that coincides with it. That will suck any Uconn yahoo sports fan to the nearest bar or couch to watch their hoops game. We saw some weak BC crowds at this tournament before back when BC had a team that resembled a D1 squad and was in the tournament (2001 was particularly relevant as they played USC that same night as the championship game vs. Providence).

All in all a pretty good post though.

It would take a large donation to get the ball rolling and even then it is a big uphill climb to even get respectable.

I'd rather see HE stays where it is and look to get more OOC games than adding a 12th team for the sake of adding a team.
    Ya I realize that most of the attendance is from home team fans but I thought it'd be worth noting. I mean if a team can join HE and say that they will usually bring 300-500 of their fans/students/alum to come to a road game than that is a decent amount of money and something a lot of schools would enjoy to have. The only schools I can think of in HE that can do that are UNH , Maine, and when UVM when they where good. BU and BC travel pretty well especially to each others schools and Northeastern. Northeastern does travel alright for those games though not as well as those two. Not so sure about UMASS and UML.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
      Actually, Joe, Union does not have to abide by D-3 rules like RIT does. Remember? They were grandfathered in. Union is D-1 in hockey just like our alma mater is. The only reason they call them "loans" is so they can still advertise that they do not give formal scholarships. But what they do give is still governed by D-1 rules.
      I thought Union was not grandfathered in. They originally chose to play down to DIII and then LATER moved up to DI. In terms of scholarships they need to play by DIII rules.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        I thought Union was not grandfathered in. They originally chose to play down to DIII and then LATER moved up to DI. In terms of scholarships they need to play by DIII rules.
        you are correct... the search for sreyalp naidanac lagelli never ends.

edit: UConn's success would depend on their commitment... if they made a penn state splash (unlikely) then they're immediately relevant... if its half-hearted they'll be trawling along the bottom half.
        Last edited by Patman; 12-21-2011, 09:26 PM.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Actually, Joe, Union does not have to abide by D-3 rules like RIT does. Remember? They were grandfathered in. Union is D-1 in hockey just like our alma mater is. The only reason they call them "loans" is so they can still advertise that they do not give formal scholarships. But what they do give is still governed by D-1 rules.
          Union is not grandfathered and has to abide by D-3 rules.. You really don't remember Union president Roger Hull famously voting AGAINST the D-3 grandfathering a few years ago?????? That made for a lot of love with certain other ECAC schools.. but I guess if you're determined to believe that Union is cheating, I can't stop you..
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Never said Union was cheating. Just because the pompous Roger Hull voted against does not mean they were not grandfathered in.

Btw, I was working in Schenectady and paying Union College tuitiion and fees for my son at the time. I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday. Great school, btw.

Comment

Problem is they are in full Title 9 compliance and have to stay that way. Eighteen rides for men's hockey means 18 more rides in women's sports. Thirty six scholarships is a huge cost. Don't forget, they could just decide to eliminate men's hockey as economically unfeasible too.
              You don't need to hire a consultant to eliminate sports. You just cut 'em. See Rutgers, Quinnipiac and any number of others. That would be throwing good money after bad. If they went this far they did so because someone wants to move the program up to a new level.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                Ya I realize that most of the attendance is from home team fans but I thought it'd be worth noting. I mean if a team can join HE and say that they will usually bring 300-500 of their fans/students/alum to come to a road game than that is a decent amount of money and something a lot of schools would enjoy to have. The only schools I can think of in HE that can do that are UNH , Maine, and when UVM when they where good. BU and BC travel pretty well especially to each others schools and Northeastern. Northeastern does travel alright for those games though not as well as those two. Not so sure about UMASS and UML.
                LOL...It really isn't thatmuch difference travelling to BC, BU or Northeastern, Just depends on which Greenline stop you get off or wwhether you turn left or right on CommAve. It requires much more effort to get to Maine or UMass which is why they don't travel better to and from those places.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  You don't need to hire a consultant to eliminate sports. You just cut 'em. See Rutgers, Quinnipiac and any number of others. That would be throwing good money after bad. If they went this far they did so because someone wants to move the program up to a new level.
                  You usually hire consultants to axe popular programs... Manufacturing consent and all that

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

The "grandfathering" was for those DIII schools who were offering scholarships for hockey at the time that the rule was put in place. Union elected to not offer scolarships when they went DI, therefore can't change their minds to offer them now.
                    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                    NCAA DII - 1983
                    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Will they have a true rival in the conference?
                      This one is probably the simplest answer. Yes they could easily have a nice rivalry going with UMASS and I am sure UMASS would love it as well. Maybe a smaller one against BC but everyone in the conference already feels like they are rivals with BC.
                      I think BC/UConn would develop into a pretty reasonable rivalry. I really do.
                      Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      This is a very good point.

Jim, you live in Middletown too?!
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Notre Dame, UConn, Providence... Beware the dreaded BEHC!!!
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          I think BC/UConn would develop into a pretty reasonable rivalry. I really do.
                          This is a very good point.

Jim, you live in Middletown too?!
                          They could develop a reasonable rivalry... in football if that ever happens.

As far as hockey goes BC has much bigger and more historic opponents to be rivals with.

BU- No team will top them as BC's rival
                          Notre Dame- This is a growing rivalry and will only grow bigger when ND joins.
                          UNH/UMAINE/- Both HE rivals both have had great games against BC in HE tourney over the years.
                          Northeastern- The other Boston school but provides fun matchups such as last years Beanpot final.

My point is this. I don't think UCONN could top any of these schools for rivalries with BC.

Comment

They could develop a reasonable rivalry... in football if that ever happens.

As far as hockey goes BC has much bigger and more historic opponents to be rivals with.

BU- No team will top them as BC's rival
                            Notre Dame- This is a growing rivalry and will only grow bigger when ND joins.
                            UNH/UMAINE/- Both HE rivals both have had great games against BC in HE tourney over the years.
                            Northeastern- The other Boston school but provides fun matchups such as last years Beanpot final.

My point is this. I don't think UCONN could top any of these schools for rivalries with BC.
                            I see what you're saying. Fair points.

Geez, there really are a lot of people who hate us, huh? haha
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              You usually hire consultants to axe popular programs... Manufacturing consent and all that
                              You beat me to it, Patman. In this case, axing a program after a wealthy alum just built the rink. But I highly doubt it.

I have been trying to figure out if the decision has already been made and the consultants are just going to put the independent evaluation imprimatur on it -- like in football -- or if this is really a clean sheet of paper evaluation. I have a hard time believing that this particular consulting group would recommend anything but going full bore, given their history, however. Gotta think they are going to recommend a pathway leading to application to HE for membership. No other outcome seems to make sense in my mind. UConn took at least two months to look at the program options internally. I think they already know what the conclusion will be, wouldn't you think?

And on a possible BC rivalry? If UConn ever gets into both HE and the ACC, that will be white hot compared to almost anything now. And they will schedule a hockey game on the evening of the afternoon football game just to intensify it. The football rivalry was already almost out of control by the time BC left for the ACC even though UConn was not quite as good as BC at that point in time.
                              Last edited by RSTuthill; 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

The BCers will disagree... Both sides hate each other so much on cultural lines they can't not be rivals. The anger at the disagreement is sign enough.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                                X