Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious, the Freep and BU bloggers need to adhere to a higher standard of journalistic proof and certainty when breaking a story like this than does a 14 year old who runs a rumor blog. You can't really compare the two because they're apples and oranges.
    what was the degree of certainty when they inaccurately (and unnecessarily) reported that Gill had a girlfriend?

i think its sad that they deleted their run of coyle articles that attempted to convince people he was staying. their 'go down with the ship' mentality to stick with their original unsubstantiated story when every other real news source was saying the opposite was admirable. now all that is left on their site is the truth that was first reported by everyone else... they must have learned that maneuver from shoplifting scott m

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    I'm sure the Freep called said player who said he's still at BU
    drunk dials don't count
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

What if Jack Parker never wants to retire and wants to do a Joe Paterno type thing where he will not retire and only leave either when dies or is fired?

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
        What if Jack Parker never wants to retire and wants to do a Joe Paterno type thing where he will not retire and only leave either when dies or is fired?
        If that's what he wants to do, I think that's what will happen. Barring a scandal, I don't see them firing him.

Comment

I hope that's the case. I want him to coach forever!
          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

• Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
            "if"?!?!?!?!?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post

Nothing is stopping these people with "higher standards" from getting better sources. If they are simply reporting everything as it happens when the official press releases come out from BU SID and NHL/QMJHL teams, then they are really nothing more than a news feed for BU hockey. Let's be honest, that is worthless in this day and age of the internet.
              Obviously you don't read our blog. Thank you for your uninformed opinion though. It gave me a good laugh this morning.
              http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Places I've watched college hockey: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Scottrade Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                Nothing is stopping these people with "higher standards" from getting better sources. If they are simply reporting everything as it happens when the official press releases come out from BU SID and NHL/QMJHL teams, then they are really nothing more than a news feed for BU hockey. Let's be honest, that is worthless in this day and age of the internet.
                When the FreeP talks to a player, they obviously have to identify themselves as reporters from the FreeP. When this kid talks to who ever his sources are, he does not have to bear the same burden of responsibility. It's considerably easier to get information from a source inside the team when the source knows whatever he/she says won't end up on the front page of a newspaper. That's the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                  Rumor blog? When the info is right and the kid beats everyone to the punch, I wouldn't consider that he is actually posting "rumors." He seems to have his stuff together and simply has better sources..
                  I'll give you the fact that the kid seems to have his stuff together in this case and ultimately got the Coyle story right, but remember that when he broke the story it was "RUMOR- Coyle gone at BU"
                  #OneKnight

Comment

I read that Freep blog and its like the Iraqi Info Ministry. Anyone who writes there is NOT a journalist, they are PUBLIC RELATIONS employees. To be a real journalist, you need to be IMPARTIAL and not fans writing about their favorite teams. The quality on that blog is the same as this message board.

For those who are incredulous that an athlete would lie to them, I would remind you that you have a lot to learn about journalism if that surprised you. Then again, if you were really as smart as you think, you would have gone to a better school.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                      I'll give you the fact that the kid seems to have his stuff together in this case and ultimately got the Coyle story right, but remember that when he broke the story it was "RUMOR- Coyle gone at BU"
                      He didnt break it either... Already was being discussed, on and off this board

Comment

Jesus, you guys sure are upset that you got your butts handed to you by a 14 year old kid who reported this stuff in between doing his long division homework.

This is hilarious.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          I read that Freep blog and its like the Iraqi Info Ministry. Anyone who writes there is NOT a journalist, they are PUBLIC RELATIONS employees. To be a real journalist, you need to be IMPARTIAL and not fans writing about their favorite teams. The quality on that blog is the same as this message board.

For those who are incredulous that an athlete would lie to them, I would remind you that you have a lot to learn about journalism if that surprised you. Then again, if you were really as smart as you think, you would have gone to a better school.
                          BU is one of the best schools in the country for communication degrees(I'm not in COM obviously so I think I can comment unbiased) and the Freep blog is very impartial for a student-run paper/ blog. It wasn't a surprise that Coyle lied to them. I believe all they said was this is his comment and directly quoted it. There is no way to put a bias on a direct quote. He lied to them, it happens. Just because a player lies to them, doesn't give everyone the right to discredit all the work they have done so far this season. The Freep tries to confirm all the stories they run before posting while this kid posts the rumor before confirming. He is going to get the story out first since he apparently has a source in BU hockey.
                          GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            Obviously you have never been a member of any "organization" (be in an ensemble, band, board of directors, advisory council, officials's board, or any of a million others I could write down) to make a comment like that...the only "teams" aren't sports teams, you know. Have you ever WORKED in your life with anybody besides yourself? If I left my team at work right now they would be devastated and would have to replace me (or so not to sound so "self-centered," if ANYBODY left out team...). Yes, they would have to "deal with it," but there are always ramifications when someone leaves something they have made a commitment to.
                            Yikes. Talk about misplaced anger. The analogy was a student leaving an educational program half way through the school year. If you equate that to leaving a team, that's your opinion, but I don't see it as the same thing.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Give the Beagle posters credit for getting this tread totally off topic.

Isn't the issue that 3 Terrier hockey players are not returning to the team after Christmas?

How this came to be and how BU Hockey leadership contributed or didn't contribute to this catastophy for the program is what I'd prefer to be reading about on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                                I think this would be a beautiful thing!
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X