Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Can anyone who was at the game comment about the first two periods? Team look tired? Lack of effort? Just out of sync? Or was it more something Harvard was doing well that made us appear thay way?
    BU didn't seem too interested on the defensive end. At one point in the 2nd when it was 3-1, the guy behind me commented that it could have easily been 6-1, and he was right. Harvard out worked and out skated BU for a bunch of easy chances that just missed. Besides the laziness, there were also some terrible decisions in the defensive end. Escobedo let Fallstrom skate right in front of Millan for their second? goal.
    BU woke up in the third and it was enough, but HU probably deserved better.
    Go BU!

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I would think so. He cheers for them to lose because he wants Parker gone.
      If he wants Parker gone he should just cheer for games like this weekend's. Parker is gonna have a heart attack if we keep playing games this close.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
        BU didn't seem too interested on the defensive end. At one point in the 2nd when it was 3-1, the guy behind me commented that it could have easily been 6-1, and he was right. Harvard out worked and out skated BU for a bunch of easy chances that just missed. Besides the laziness, there were also some terrible decisions in the defensive end. Escobedo let Fallstrom skate right in front of Millan for their second? goal.
        BU woke up in the third and it was enough, but HU probably deserved better.
        Pretty much this. Also, they were really tight and out of sync on offense, they were trying to force things against a team that was hustling all over the place, being incredibly aggressive in the neutral zone and on the PK, and beating our guys to 50/50 pucks. HU hit at least two posts in the second as well and Kieran mildly redeemed himself for a woeful 1st with some nice saves to keep the game within striking distance. I don't know if it was disinterest, but it was definitely lackadaisical. Could've been them feeling good after a solid win last night and facing an opponent who, on the surface, is not easy to get up for, in a dull environment, and they were just coasting for two periods, and HU made them pay. But something caught on in the second, and for the latter part of the period and most of OT, the momentum did a complete 180 and our guys were gunning at full speed.

These kids are a resilient bunch, they've faced a lot of adversity this year on the ice and off, and have persevered through a lot of it. They look like they've all collectively got a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. There's still work to be done, and a lot of things need improvement, but to be 5th in win percentage, 3rd in the RPI, and 3rd in PWR, all things considered, not too bad. I agree with the comment from last night that at this point, the possibilities for where this team could end up are just about anywhere, good and bad. The lack of true top centers, Kieran sliding out of position across the Charles, and some of the same type of play we saw tonight in the first two periods could come back and bite them bad come March, or they could continue to string together wins on guts, makeshift faceoff-takers, a powerplay quarterbacked by freshmen and sophomore D, and a drive to prove the doubters wrong. I'm happy to be along for the ride.
        Last edited by brassbonanza; 01-15-2012, 01:43 AM.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Hey, I like it that hoky comes and shares info for us. Doncha all realize how hard it is to get college hockey news??? Impossible! Nobody outside of the 6 of us here gives a crap! Of we didn't have hoky, we'd have zilch!

Long live hoky!
          Alright Rupert, I agree with you.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Agree with previous posters' comments about the game. They were just....off during the first. Harvard played very well. I was wondering if playing out in the cold at Fenway the night before might have adversely affected them, but they were flying from the get go. Part of me wondered if maybe they would peter out towards the end of the game. Nothing seemed to go right for BU. It was a heart breaker to have Harvard score right after Connolly got his first goal. You know, Friday night, even though they were down 2-0 after the first, I thought they were playing pretty well. I didn't think that last night.

It was so good to see Connolly get his first two goals. Given that we were at the complete opposite end of the ice, I thought he scored the game winner. I'm glad he was involved in the scoring. He's been snakebitten for far too long this season. I hope they start coming in bunches now.

Rosen's game tying goal was so clearly a goal, I don't know why it was even reviewed. Did they think it was kicked in or off a high stick? My seat (after I moved - more on that in a sec) was right on the red line and you could see it about six inches over the red line.

So, I get there last night and my seat was the last row of section 20, seat 14. I see seat 15 and seat 13, which were marked. Not seat 14. Because there was NO BACK. Only seat in the entire arena that didn't have a back to it. Jeez, a billion+ endowment at that school and they can't shell out a few dollars for the hockey team to fix that? Haven't been to Bright in a while so it was good to see they updated their 1989 Championship banner. The other one was so un-Harvard like and totally 80s looking. Who was #4? I saw a banner with a 4 on it. Was it Billy Cleary?

And while I know it's January 15th and there is so much hockey to be played and I normally don't pay attention to this kind of stuff, I was surfing the site and looked in the 2012 Bracketology thread. BU could be a number one seed if the tournament started today. Heh. And wow.

Comment

BU consistently outworked Harvard on the boards, but was having noticeable difficulty in transition the whole night. I don't think the Terriers were prepared for Harvard's aggressive play in the neutral zone as they had considerable difficulty gaining the offensive zone and turned the puck over too many times in transition. On the other side of things, at least one, maybe two of Harvard's goals came in transition play (I don't remember if it was one or two). That was the difference through two periods. Kieran wasn't his sharpest in the first period, though the defense kind of hung him out to dry on more than one occasion. As another poster commented, Harvard could have scored more goals if not for some nice saves.

Looking at the USCHO poll this morning it's apparent that the 5 teams ahead of us all lost at least once this weekend. Think BU will start getting thrown some first place votes in the next poll? And what effect will that have on our guys? I don't want a high ranking to go to this team's head so they think they can start sleep walking through games again.
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                Looking at the USCHO poll this morning it's apparent that the 5 teams ahead of us all lost at least once this weekend. Think BU will start getting thrown some first place votes in the next poll? And what effect will that have on our guys? I don't want a high ranking to go to this team's head so they think they can start sleep walking through games again.
                Agreed, though it's interesting that the pairwise numbers thinks more highly of the team than some fans do. (Granted that record is mostly prior to the departure of Trivino and Coyle.) That said, it's a kick to watch Courtnall and now Santana play balz out hockey. Likewise to see Clendening emerge.

Harvard had BU back on its heels the first and much of the second period. The defense was backing way in and Escobedo got undressed misreading a play. I hope such things can get fixed. I just wish somebody else in addition to #5 could step up big time, but if I had choose, I'd rather root for heart than mere talent.

Comment

Interesting you mention Courtnall and Santana. I'd like to think the effort coming from these two is representative of what this team's mindset is becoming. Simple work your butt off hockey. Not at all difficult to root for these guys the way they seem to be willing to respond to what's taken place around the team in the recent past
                  Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                    Interesting you mention Courtnall and Santana. I'd like to think the effort coming from these two is representative of what this team's mindset is becoming. Simple work your butt off hockey. Not at all difficult to root for these guys the way they seem to be willing to respond to what's taken place around the team in the recent past
                    Agree with what I've seen so far... Hope that work your butt off attitude mindset is infectious.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      I would think so. He cheers for them to lose because he wants Parker gone.
                      I actually am happy despite the Parker thing because they are showing that the dog Coyle isnt needed and that players like Megan, Courtnall and Noonan are so much more valuable to a winning program then the overrated bust was. So in short Coyle's departure has given me a new rallying cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                        the dog Coyle....
                        Go BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                          I actually am happy despite the Parker thing because they are showing that the dog Coyle isnt needed and that players like Megan, Courtnall and Noonan are so much more valuable to a winning program then the overrated bust was. So in short Coyle's departure has given me a new rallying cry.
                          Regardless of the reason for the departures, we've all seen teams 'wake up' or improve their focus after injury or some other event that removes players from the fold.

In the event the departures may remove people that weren't fully committed, I've seen organizations improve performance under the old "addition by subtraction" rule.

Could be the captains, the coach etc but the departures of those players was an opportunity for some leader in that organization to convince the rest of them it was a "good" thing.
                          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Parker isn't going to leave until he wants to leave. So there is no reason to root against the team to succeed, despite the fact that you want Parker to retire.

I've always liked to watch Courtnall play, he tries his heart out on the ice. Connolly is one of the most likeable guys I've met and how he conducts himself on and off the ice is nice to see. This team lost some talent but they do have some high character guys remaining. I can't say I expect much from the season, but I will hope for the best.

I'm a Terrier fan, even 3000 miles away. I'll be listening on Friday and Saturday Night, beat the Friars!
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                              I just wish somebody else in addition to #5 could step up big time, but if I had choose, I'd rather root for heart than mere talent.
                              I agree that Clendening has been stepping up recently, but when it comes to D you can't discredit Noonan. Clendening can go through some super low periods, and sometimes he creates more turnovers than opportunities. But as for Noonan - in his two years he's the only dman I've seen steadily improve. And if we're going for heart, I'm fairly positive he has more heart than most of the D put together. Just fun to watch him play.
                              Agganis Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Hockey Center, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Lawler Arena, Matthews Arena, Mullins Memorial Center, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, Tsongas Arena, Whittemore Center, Erie Insurance Arena, Lynah Rink, Madison Square Garden, Ridder Arena, TD Garden, Xcel Energy Center

Comment

I posted this in the alumni thread but wanted to share here as well. Great article on one of the greats to play for the Terriers - Mike Grier.

Soooo, Providence this weekend. I am so happy that the Saturday game is in Providence and not Friday's game. Maybe the team will get there in plenty of time and not delay the drop of the puck because they were stuck in traffic. Honestly, it's one of the easiest rinks to get to but Friday nights are the worst time to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X