Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
    I think both apply. I'll be rooting for the U.S. obviously at the WJC but he is going to fall into the BC player category where I'm rooting for the team but not certain individual players to play well..unless it's helping Clendening rack up the assists.
    No offense but this is ridiculous. You root against BC players even when they're not wearing a BC uniform and are playing for your country? Seriously get help.

Coyle just got #2 and could easily have a hat trick if not one more. Having a very good game hitting, passing and shooting. Would the morons that claim he is no big loss please stand up one more time?
    Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I've come to terms with what happened this winter break but ah, can't help but think we had a legitimate shot at an NCAA title with that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        No offense but this is ridiculous. You root against BC players even when they're not wearing a BC uniform and are playing for your country? Seriously get help.
        Seriously, even I don't do that.

*****http://i40.tinypic.com/2lkxoo9.png******
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
          ??? I bought my oldest a pens orpik. Don't even have to be country to cheer for!! Geez.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Coyle just got #2 and could easily have a hat trick if not one more. Having a very good game hitting, passing and shooting. Would the morons that claim he is no big loss please stand up one more time?
            Which is about half the # of goals he scored in the past 14 months at BU. What dont you get, he wasnt productive here regardless of his "upside" and even if he became productive he was leaving 3 months from now. "Moron" my name is Mav.
            Last edited by Jofa; 12-26-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              BU has created that atmosphere over the past 5+ years. All kids who think they are first liners and no role guys. If you have the pro mentality and or pro dreams, you find out real quick you are just a pawn.
              Who are the real pawns here?

Is it the players that think they have professional futures, and are "used" for the abilities on the ice and 'discarded' when they are no longer viable contributors?

Or are the real pawns the colleges, who are being "used" by the players as a stepping stone to get to the pro ranks?

It appears that there is a lot of using going on both ways.

The "using" that the system was based on was that a student-athlete comes to school for four years, plays on the team for four years, leaves with a degree ... and then may embark on a pro career, be it in North America or Europe.
              Now, there seem to be too many shortcuts that, in many cases, leaves both sides shorthanded.

The most recent BU player that I can look at that did it right was Brandon Yip. Stayed for four years, continued to improve and when it was time for the big show, he was ready with only a brief stop in the minors.
              I think Colin Wilson also did it right. He left early because the money and opportunity were there for him.

Should Nick Bonino had come back for his senior year? David Warsofsky? Colby Cohen?
              Would have been better served by staying for four years, professionally and personally?

Warsofsky seemed bored his junior year, and had regressed. So perhaps it was best that he left.
              Cohen probably thought he had accomplished everything there was to accomplish in college, but he still could have learned some consistency on defense and perhaps made the jump after a big senior year. Same with Bonino.

Maybe college hockey, or specifically, college wasn't meant for Charlie Connolly. Or Chris Bourque.

While Parker, York, Berenson and Jackson may be the Kings of college hockey, they are also often used as pawns by 18 years looking for stepping stones.

Comment

Another one for Coyle. Hat trick. Golly gee that guy stinks. Why would BU want a kid like that? Right Jofa?
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  Who are the real pawns here?

Is it the players that think they have professional futures, and are "used" for the abilities on the ice and 'discarded' when they are no longer viable contributors?

Or are the real pawns the colleges, who are being "used" by the players as a stepping stone to get to the pro ranks?

It appears that there is a lot of using going on both ways.

The "using" that the system was based on was that a student-athlete comes to school for four years, plays on the team for four years, leaves with a degree ... and then may embark on a pro career, be it in North America or Europe.
                  Now, there seem to be too many shortcuts that, in many cases, leaves both sides shorthanded.

The most recent BU player that I can look at that did it right was Brandon Yip. Stayed for four years, continued to improve and when it was time for the big show, he was ready with only a brief stop in the minors.
                  I think Colin Wilson also did it right. He left early because the money and opportunity were there for him.

Should Nick Bonino had come back for his senior year? David Warsofsky? Colby Cohen?
                  Would have been better served by staying for four years, professionally and personally?

Warsofsky seemed bored his junior year, and had regressed. So perhaps it was best that he left.
                  Cohen probably thought he had accomplished everything there was to accomplish in college, but he still could have learned some consistency on defense and perhaps made the jump after a big senior year. Same with Bonino.

Maybe college hockey, or specifically, college wasn't meant for Charlie Connolly. Or Chris Bourque.

While Parker, York, Berenson and Jackson may be the Kings of college hockey, they are also often used as pawns by 18 years looking for stepping stones.
                  yup....

the bs theory, :"you have all the leverage your junior year" is foolish

if your goal is a 45k ahl contract, go for it

Comment

Another one for Coyle. Hat trick. Golly gee that guy stinks. Why would BU want a kid like that? Right Jofa?
                    Golly gee, one standout performance makes him the best player ever right?

This means he's going to score hat tricks every night, right? And that means he will be a solid player and honor commitments to his next team, right?

I'm just asking questions here.

Comment

The biggest problem I see for some of the BU kids who have gone pro lately (specifically Warsofsky, Colby Cohen and Bonino) is that they have fallen in sync with the idea that they will lose mucho leverage in negotiations if they come back for their senior years. If you aren't ready, then it just isn't time to go. BU players aren't the only ones buying that as an absolute rule, either. If you aren't ready to step up to professional hockey and do well, then you are just filler for the lower leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                        Golly gee, one standout performance makes him the best player ever right? This means he's going to score hat tricks every night, right? And that means he will be a solid player and honor commitments to his next team, right?
                        We don't know the answers to those questions yet. But this DOES create more questions...specifically (and not to necessarily open up a can of worms here), and I 'm asking anyone here, what motivates a player and if his production level is consistently below what is generally assessed to be his "talent level," what is the reason for that? Is it oversimplification to say that he was just bored? Was schoolwork hindering him? Perhaps he can only focus on one thing at a time. Not everyone has multi-tasking capabilities. Nobody is saying he is going to get a hat trick every night. But I think the question has to be asked that obviously the game seemed to "open up" for him. Is it the style of play? Maybe the people who have asserted that the reigns are "too tight" on these players have a point. Yes, the coach's style may be "proven" to be a successful one; however, if the players don't buy into in/are bored, what difference does it make? It's pretty difficult to have any continuity when you have a revolving door. Not making any veiled accusations...just saying....food for discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                          Golly gee, one standout performance makes him the best player ever right? This means he's going to score hat tricks every night, right?
                          Wasn't he a standout player during last year's WJC too?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Wasn't he a standout player during last year's WJC too?
                            If he's up laying against other 19 yo kids he's great.... Against 21-24 yo kids, not much. Therefore he'll excel once he gets to mj in a couple weeks.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

One thing is clear here. There are still many questions about whether Coyle is a legitimate 1st round pick. He came in as a kid who hadn't played enough against upper level competition. After a year and a half of HE play, those questions remain. I agree it was in his best interest to stay @ BU through the end of this season, then reevaluate. The handwriting was on the wall academically, so the next best place to be is where he's going (QMJHL).
                              One thing BU fans(or any div. 1 college hockey fans)know is when a highly touted prospect is ready for the next step. Colin Wilson, most recently was a man among boys. Krieder is now. Coyle hasn't shown that level of dominance to be considered to be at that level.
                              Maybe a change of scenery or system convinces the scouts. My feeling is that if they felt that strongly about the kid now, he would be heading to the AHL. He's not and there's a **** good reason for it.he's just not that good....YET?
                              Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                                One thing BU fans(or any div. 1 college hockey fans)know is when a highly touted prospect is ready for the next step.
                                This made me lol.

As an aside, I've been meaning to tell you - "steakbomb" is an awesome username.

Comment

Working...
                                X