Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Can someone straighten this out for me? Is this amazing source of information over at BU, the one with that high degree of journalistic integrity everyone is talking about, the same one that has produced these gems?

As a native Bostonian, I’ve built up a pretty heavy tolerance when it comes to the arrogance that tends to seep out of Chestnut Hill. For as long as I can remember, Boston College has had this inexplicable, holier-than-thou approach to . . . well, everything.

We get it. Flutie was the man, and you guys were like six spots higher than us in the U.S. News rankings. Congratulations.

Unfortunately, that Hail Mary fell into Phelan’s arms 27 years ago, and the rest of the country still thinks you’re the most overrated school on the East Coast.

So, please do everyone a favor and stop pretending that BC was your first choice. It’s unbecoming. You can admit that you didn’t get into the University of Notre Dame. There’s no shame in that.

Now, that being said, I can actually understand the cockiness from the students. As unfounded as it may be, it’s part of the college experience. Plus, it’s not entirely their fault that they’ve been brainwashed into believing that they go to Stanford University-East.
    Insults, drinks will fly at Beanpot
    Well, it’s that time of year again, when hockey fans from all over Boston convene in a legendary arena to face off against hated rivals, throw drinks at each other and yell demeaning insults at Boston College’s goalie until he cries. Or as I like to call it, hockey shenanigans at the Beanpot! (You’re right, BC’s goalie won’t cry. He’s a robot, of course! Or maybe a vampire? I’m still deciding.)

(Maybe the BC goalie, John Muse, will cry! Wait, just checked and … yup, still a robot. Shucks.)

Not only does the winning team get its name on a banner in the TD Garden (just the place where Paul Freaking Pierce goes to work every day. No big deal or anything), it also means that the players can brag for an entire year, walk around Boston arrogantly, and throw all of the losing teams in the frozen Charles River. (Okay, I made that last one up. Sounds fun though, right?)

And don’t forget, there’s always a chance that one of your slurred insults will make a player cry. How great is that?
    There are, however, a few things we shouldn’t do. While we should be a coherent group, we do not all need to wear shirts that are the color of human waste. And we do not need chants and cheers that are longer than a Lord of the Rings Director’s Cut. Basically, what I’m saying is we shouldn’t be like BC.

BC fans support a team that is a bottom feeder of the Atlantic Coast Conference. Literally, Wake Forest University has had more of an impact on that conference than BC has had, and the “Superfans” in Chestnut Hill are infuriated by this.

BC fans are motivated by their hate, trying to capitalize on it. That’s not how we should be. We should be motivated by our devotion to BU and Terrier Pride.
    Thanks in advance! Merry Xmas.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

BU is an awesome program.
      Coach Parker knows what it takes to build a winner.

Now is the time for other players to step up and fill the holes.

BU will continue to triumph.

Happy Holidays to all!

Comment

Originally posted by reBlur View Post
        "I only want to play hockey all the time". Selfish move by Coyle.
        Come on, what's a degree from BU worth anyway.

It was a blustery weekend, wonder how many of the homeless along the scummy end of Comm Ave lit up their diplomas in a metal trash can for warmth over the last couple days?
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I've long suspected the problem is that the players don't want to play the style that Parker wants. I have to imagine most of these recruits are used to putting up big points. When the coach is telling you to dump it into the zone and then come back for a line change or clog the middle of the ice, after awhile I can see players saying "screw it, I'm outta here". Its the only explanation I can come up with to explain how 1) highly touted recruits consistantly underperform, and 2) the team seems to have a lot of departures of guys who haven't shown any ability to succeed on a higher level, meaning there's something about the program they don't care for as opposed to having a better opportunity for themselves.

As an aside, IMHO BU writers worship Parker way too much and it clouds their reporting. He gets more of the benefit of the doubt than Belichick does from the local press.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Can someone straighten this out for me? Is this amazing source of information over at BU, the one with that high degree of journalistic integrity everyone is talking about, the same one that has produced these gems?
            I'm not going to get into defending any of those columns or columnists, but I can at least kind of explain why the Freep's sports columns often suffer. It's because anyone who's actually a journalism major probably isn't writing a column, nor should they be. As any professor, especially a sports journalism professor, would tell a student, there are so many things that are more important to learn than writing a column- namely being on a beat and covering a team from the start of the season to the end. When I was sports editor at the Freep, I had journalism majors who applied for columns, and I told them I wouldn't recommend it. Yeah, that hurt the section's columns because I'm sure theirs would've been very good, but I don't think it would've been a smart move for them. As a result, most of the sports columnists wind up being TV or radio people, or in some cases, fans. It's not ideal, but I think it's better than having journalism majors writing columns that aren't really beneficial to their development as a reporter.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I've long suspected the problem is that the players don't want to play the style that Parker wants. I have to imagine most of these recruits are used to putting up big points. When the coach is telling you to dump it into the zone and then come back for a line change or clog the middle of the ice, after awhile I can see players saying "screw it, I'm outta here". Its the only explanation I can come up with to explain how 1) highly touted recruits consistantly underperform, and 2) the team seems to have a lot of departures of guys who haven't shown any ability to succeed on a higher level, meaning there's something about the program they don't care for as opposed to having a better opportunity for themselves.

As an aside, IMHO BU writers worship Parker way too much and it clouds their reporting. He gets more of the benefit of the doubt than Belichick does from the local press.
              Rover beautifully articulated.

Comment

• The problem isn't fanboy wannabe sports writers, it's the fanboy editors who allow it to be published.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                BC fans are motivated by their hate, trying to capitalize on it. That’s not how we should be. We should be motivated by our devotion to BU and Terrier Pride. .
                Oh the irony
                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

The BC Hockey Blog celebrates breaking another story:

*****http://www.timothysykes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/etrade-baby.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                    The BC Hockey Blog celebrates breaking another story:
                    *****http://www.timothysykes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/etrade-baby.jpg******

SCOOPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone with decent photoshop skills could probably do a good job modifying that picture and humiliating the poor saps over at the Freep (assuming they aren't already, which they should be).

Someone put a "Coyle lied to us" story from the FREEP on that Blackberry in his hand and it would already be a homerun.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Hope everyone had a good weekend. Did little mermaid or any of the other fanboys get scooped by that 9 year old kid again?.
                      The latest is that Charlie coyle bailed on bu to play for the under the sea dogs because he always wanted to be part of that world.

Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012

Comment

Oops, I stumbled on the BC thread, I'll go back to the BU thread now. Sorry for interrupting.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

They're a little bored this time of the year. No annual pilgrimage to the Dog S#"+ Bowl to be played on a Wednesday morning in front of whoever would take the free tickets.
                          Yeah I know, BU has no football team. You do. You play. And you s#+*. So congratulations.
                          You need to come over here, to OUR thread, just to have a conversation.
                          Merry Christmas
                          B(owl-eligible)C(ollege).
                          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                            They're a little bored this time of the year. No annual pilgrimage to the Dog S#"+ Bowl to be played on a Wednesday morning in front of whoever would take the free tickets.
                            Yeah I know, BU has no football team. You do. You play. And you s#+*. So congratulations.
                            You need to come over here, to OUR thread, just to have a conversation.
                            Merry Christmas
                            B(owl-eligible)C(ollege).
                            Hey give BC a break. They're all happy because its been a least 3 months without a gambling scandal, a hoops player beating up a co-ed, or a student athlete getting lugged by law enforcement for drugs/DUI. As far as bowl games go, look at it this way: they'll only be 500 less fans attending the football team's bowl game this year than in the previous years.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              He gets more of the benefit of the doubt than Belichick does from the local press.
                              you must be speaking in jest because that isn't possible

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Hey give BC a break. They're all happy because its been a least 3 months without a gambling scandal, a hoops player beating up a co-ed, or a student athlete getting lugged by law enforcement for drugs/DUI. As far as bowl games go, look at it this way: they'll only be 500 less fans attending the football team's bowl game this year than in the previous years.

We leave the meth, rape, academic failures, and murder to BU now.

Comment

Working...
                                X