Ohio State vs Princeton 12/30 - 12/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State vs Princeton 12/30 - 12/31

I trust everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Pgb, looking forward to your unofficial three stars of the game tomorrow. I will not be able to make tomorrow's afternoon tilt. It's that doggone work thing (haha)! The other two guys in my department beat me to it regarding getting tomorrow afternoon off, so I will be at the office holding down the fort. I'll attempt to sneak onto gametracker or live stats or however I can follow the game.

Comment

I heard some good news today. Melissa Feste, who was injured back in October, will be playing this weekend! It will be nice to see her back on the ice.

Comment

Ohio State defeated Princeton earlier today in a shootout by a final score of 3-2. Ally Tarr and Paige Semenza scored Ohio State's two regulation goals. The shootout goals were scored by Natalie Spooner and Ally Tarr. Chelsea Knapp was in net for the Buckeyes and got the win.

Comment

You're right, OSU won a shootout, but the official score is a 2-2 tie, if you check out the box score. Makes me wonder why they even held a shootout. The story here: http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2011..._Princeton_OSU indicates the shootout didn't count. What gives?

Comment

PrincetonFan - Our league, the WCHA, utilizes the shootout to decide games. Our ice, our rules, I suppose. It will go down as a tie for your team and it will probably count as a tie for us nationally, but in our record books it will go down as a shootout win. If the ECAC chooses not to recognize the shootout results, so be it. Our league does recognize shootout wins. I am actually completely ambivalent about shootouts. Yes, they are an exciting way to decide games, but if they went away, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
              You're right, OSU won a shootout, but the official score is a 2-2 tie, if you check out the box score. Makes me wonder why they even held a shootout. The story here: http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2011..._Princeton_OSU indicates the shootout didn't count. What gives?
              I thought I saw it posted here somewhere that all non-conference games that go to a shoot-out are considered ties for record keeping. The shootout is for exhibition only.

Cali
              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                I thought I saw it posted here somewhere that all non-conference games that go to a shoot-out are considered ties for record keeping. The shootout is for exhibition only.

Cali
                Pretty sure that is correct. In the case of a NC match-up I'd say the shootout is entertainment only with no points at stake. An official tie and shootout win vs. Princeton, I wouldn't guess a positive outcome for the Buckeyes per the NCAA ranking formula.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  PrincetonFan - Our league, the WCHA, utilizes the shootout to decide games. Our ice, our rules, I suppose. It will go down as a tie for your team and it will probably count as a tie for us nationally, but in our record books it will go down as a shootout win. If the ECAC chooses not to recognize the shootout results, so be it. Our league does recognize shootout wins. I am actually completely ambivalent about shootouts. Yes, they are an exciting way to decide games, but if they went away, it wouldn't bother me too much.
                  osualum86, the NCAA will recognize this as a tie, not a shootout win. And the WCHA won't count it as a shootout win because it wasn't a WCHA league game. So enjoy the shootout for its entertainment value, but beyond that it won't count for anything official.
                  Last edited by D2D; 12-30-2011, 11:42 PM.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

"Our Ice, Our Rules" probably goes a long way toward explaining why our NC Visitors agree to participate in exhibition shootouts. But for NCAA purposes there is no question; today's game is recorded as a tie.

The Unofficial Three Stars post for Friday's game is now available on the WCHA III thread.

EDIT: After a short New Year's delay, the Three Stars list for Saturday is now posted as well.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I am really surprised by this result, I keep thinking the Bucks are ready for prime time and then they can't win a game they really should have. That is the difference between the top WCHA teams and everyone else. You simply have to win these games when you have teams like UW, UM, UND, etc... on your schedule in my opinion.

Comment

I also feel these are game OSU must win. Watched the games and they just aren't scoring. I've never seen so many players skate right at the D even on 3 on 2's. Spooner hasone of the best wrist shots and she's at the point on the PP. They must get her open looks at the top of the circles closer. Also have to use the points which will open things up. They forwards just muck around down low. Need to figure the O out quickly. Never thought scoring would be the problem.
                        Last edited by WCHFan; 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

More of the same with a 1-1 tie today. No McIntosh -- assume she is away at some Hockey Canada camp? In any case, these are results that the Buckeyes can't afford, as they now only have one win in their last seven games.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            More of the same with a 1-1 tie today. No McIntosh -- assume she is away at some Hockey Canada camp? In any case, these are results that the Buckeyes can't afford, as they now only have one win in their last seven games.
                            Duty calls as McIntosh is at the MECO Cup with the Canadian U-22's along with 14 other Canadian NCAA Div 1 players....

It's no wonder the US doesn't send a team. Div 1 Womens hockey would be shut down for 2 weeks mid season.
                            Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I agree with all those who say these are games we have to win. We had scoring chances in both games but just could not put the puck in the back of the net. It's tough to have to say this, but you all are correct, two ties against Princeton does nothing for us in the national rankings. If anything, it probably knocks us down a peg or two. We have to find a way to win these non-conference home games against sub-.500 teams. Having said all that, we were definitely missing Laura Mac this weekend, not to mention Minttu Tuominen and Annie Svedin. I did have fun lacing up the skates and skating with the team afterward, though. We need to sweep St. Cloud next weekend on the road. We need the six points.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                                I also feel these are game OSU must win. Watched the games and they just aren't scoring. I've never seen so many players skate right at the D even on 3 on 2's. Spooner hasone of the best wrist shots and she's at the point on the PP. They must get her open looks at the top of the circles closer. Also have to use the points which will open things up. They forwards just muck around down low. Need to figure the O out quickly. Never thought scoring would be the problem.
                                I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement. I didn't think scoring goals would be a problem this season! If this team wants to achieve their goals this season, and I know the coaching staff and the kids have some lofty goals, they will have to do a better job getting the puck in the net, and I am sure they will go to work on that this week in practice. The effort is certainly there, they just need to execute better. I believe in our coaching staff and these young ladies, and I am already looking forward to next weekend's games. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the trip to St. Cloud, but I'll be checking out gametracker or live stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X