Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y-9alkPs4Hs/TDt6mvhzf4I/AAAAAAAADOs/vVnIHaVvaY0/s320/FlipFlops_04.gif******

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      What a myopic decision.
      One would think that it would help with football recruiting to let them play there.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Did the Capital District Selects move from HFH? I remember the River Rats having an exhibition game at HFH a few years ago...
        Actually, the CD Selects play @ HFH tonight/Sat./Sun. Word is though that they have been sold to a group from Fairfield Cty. Conn. http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/new...?news_id=74103
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Well, one thing is for sure... regardless of what the 'Tute decides to do in terms of the outdoor game idea... you know that if it happens, I'll definitely be there!

I was considering going to the Union game this Saturday but have been advised to do otherwise. I haven't been there since I was a freshman at RPI, so I'm asking those who have been there in recent history: are there any (for real) key reasons I shouldn't bother making the trip?
          Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
            I was considering going to the Union game this Saturday but have been advised to do otherwise. I haven't been there since I was a freshman at RPI, so I'm asking those who have been there in recent history: are there any (for real) key reasons I shouldn't bother making the trip?
            Is your Hepatitis shot up to date?
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Is your Hepatitis shot up to date?
              tetanus too?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                tetanus too?
                One can never be too careful.

Comment

Well, one thing is for sure... regardless of what the 'Tute decides to do in terms of the outdoor game idea... you know that if it happens, I'll definitely be there!

I'm going to try and make a legitimate list of reasons. Full disclosure - I am a glutton for punishment and am going this year even as I realize how stupid it is as I write this.

The fans tend to be more abrasive to visiting RPI fans than any of the other ECAC rinks (at least over the past few years this has proven true for me). People gripe about Clarkson but I have found their fans to be pretty tame. SLU is probably the next worse behind Union (the townies moreso than the students).

The public safety officers side squarely on the side of the home team if there is any kind of dispute over language, behavior, etc which has led to RPI fans getting verbally harassed by officers and kicked out of games for things like standing (in the uppermost row of seats) and making the exact same statements as the student section directly across the rink.

Schenectady Youth Hockey sits directly below/adjacent to the visitors' section and year in/year out is full of kids who think it's cute to throw food and other objects at visiting fans, while their parents and coaches pat them on the head and laugh, and public safety turns a blind eye.

You will be given the TSA treatment and patted down for oranges while the fans in Union gear walk in unmolested.

You will sit on an uncomfortable bleacher with your knees in the back of the person in front of you, someone else's knees in your back, and your shoulders crammed into the people next to you.

If there is a fire, you will die long before making it down the single 3' wide staircase out of the upper section where the visitors sit.

If you want concessions, you will need to go down said staircase, across the rink, up an equally narrow staircase and wait in line for the concession stand behind the upper bleachers on the opposite side of the rink.

If you want to go to the bathroom, be prepared to wait and potentially miss part of the game (i.e. go before you leave home and hold it once you're there).

I think that sums up most of the reasons I can think of. This will probably be my last year attending unless things are noticeably better than years past. It's not worth the headache (plus giving Union $11) when you can sit at home and listen for free without getting harassed and having things thrown at you.
                  APBWiki

Comment

They'll probably throw out the entire RPI section during player introductions due to their asinine regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                      You will sit on an uncomfortable bleacher with your knees in the back of the person in front of you, someone else's knees in your back, and your shoulders crammed into the people next to you.
                      The whole thing was very well put, but this part especially is worth mentioning. Throw in the fact that they have actual assigned seating in the bleachers that are roughly 3/5 the size of the average American *** and, as mentioned, they don't allow the entire section to stand to watch the game, it's really not worth the time and effort.

Also, the bleacher sections just are not safe if something is happening to cause reactions - like goals (and waved off goals). You can feel the thing doing the accordion effect and occasionally it feels like it's ready to collapse.

Last year one of the rent-a-cops did his very best to goad RPI fans into doing something that would get them thrown out. I think I can find a better use for my money than to help pay his salary.

This is not to say that I don't wish I could be there supporting my team, they certainly deserve the support - but I'm not willing to walk into a death trap and find my health and safety in danger to do so.
                      Last edited by Red Cloud; 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                        Long list of perfectly viable reasons not to go...
                        But hockey! This will be my first time going not being part of a Pep Band (RPI or otherwise), so I may not have had the true visiting fan experience, but I never thought it was that bad. The only problem I've had was nearly getting kicked out while helping out the Colgate band for yelling "Union sucks!" during Sweet Caroline (and getting dirty looks for "RED" at a Union-Colgate game).
                        RPI Pep Band
                        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                          But hockey! This will be my first time going not being part of a Pep Band (RPI or otherwise), so I may not have had the true visiting fan experience, but I never thought it was that bad. The only problem I've had was nearly getting kicked out while helping out the Colgate band for yelling "Union sucks!" during Sweet Caroline (and getting dirty looks for "RED" at a Union-Colgate game).
                          I will say this - the only thing that made last year tolerable at all was the fact that we were able to get them to turn off Sweet Caroline with a rousing "Union sucks!" loud enough to first have them not cut the music for the crowd reaction the second time, and then just shut it off completely. Hopefully there are enough brave souls in the audience to accomplish that again this year.

Comment

This is better than playing an actual game outside, in my view.

*****http://www.ogs.ny.gov/images/MensHockeySmall.jpg******

Empire State Plaza Ice Skating Rink
                            January 16 - RPI Men's Hockey Exhibition
                            11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. RPI Men's Hockey Team exhibition. Please note: The rink will be closed for public skate during the exhibition.

All the awesomeness of outdoor hockey, none of the agita about the weather or effect on the standings.

Comment

I will say this - the only thing that made last year tolerable at all was the fact that we were able to get them to turn off Sweet Caroline with a rousing "Union sucks!" loud enough to first have them not cut the music for the crowd reaction the second time, and then just shut it off completely. Hopefully there are enough brave souls in the audience to accomplish that again this year.
                              To think that this marvel wasn't even built yet when I was an undergrad. I wonder if there is some connection between this building and Union abolishing its CE major.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is better than playing an actual game outside, in my view.

*****http://www.ogs.ny.gov/images/MensHockeySmall.jpg******

Empire State Plaza Ice Skating Rink
                                January 16 - RPI Men's Hockey Exhibition
                                11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. RPI Men's Hockey Team exhibition. Please note: The rink will be closed for public skate during the exhibition.

All the awesomeness of outdoor hockey, none of the agita about the weather or effect on the standings.
                                Link?
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X