Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
    Let's see... we scored 2 against Lowell, 2 against Army, 3 against Dartmouth and thanks to your shaken up lines.... 2 against AIC (not including the empty netter), the weakest team of the bunch. And your point is????

My only conclusion from the data is that AIC is a weaker opponent so we were able to keep them to one goal and win. If we scored 5 goals then I might agree with your premise. Since AIC is a weaker opponent and we only scored 2, I might conclude that the shake-up did us no good.
    We could very easily have had 5 goals at the end of the first period. Although there were some easy saves in there, the AIC goalie wasn't letting any rebounds go and was playing tough. After that period, I was worried we'd see a 1-0 AIC game at about 58:00. After that, in the later periods you could tell the team was trying too hard to set up "the perfect shot". Also, in the second period, it didn't seem like we were dominating play (perhaps the penalties were a façade of that thought, and even though the shot total shows very favorably to RPI, I think there were a very big number of net misses), meaning our adaptation game still leaves something to be desired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockey111 View Post
      Agree! But it goes to show you that CHANGE is a GOOD Thing! You cant keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Kudos to the team! And kudos to SA for shaking things up with the lines!!
      Nothing changed. We still only scored 2 goals against one of the worst teams in D1. The goals were from the point, Leonard and Lee banged in a rebound. The passing is still atrocious. Could have had some one-timers but the passes were not in the wheelhouse. Either behind or too far infront of the reciever. On a PP, JL missed a guy by 3 feet with a pass and there was nobody near him. Sorry, but beating AIC by a goal does nothing to instill confidence that they have turned anything around. If, over the next 3 games they score more than 2 goals against tough competition then we can talk about the great coaching move.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
        You mean your favorite!!!
        The only other coach I ever saw with RPI is Fridgen. Some of his behind-the-bench antics were, well, entertaining... ...but he is not my favorite. I've only seen one coach lead a team to a winning season (2 seasons, actually).
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

NEWS FLASH: WE WON!!
          (Thats my only conclusion)

Let's see... we scored 2 against Lowell, 2 against Army, 3 against Dartmouth and thanks to your shaken up lines.... 2 against AIC (not including the empty netter), the weakest team of the bunch. And your point is????

My only conclusion from the data is that AIC is a weaker opponent so we were able to keep them to one goal and win. If we scored 5 goals then I might agree with your premise. Since AIC is a weaker opponent and we only scored 2, I might conclude that the shake-up did us no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey111 View Post
            NEWS FLASH: WE WON!!
            (Thats my only conclusion)
            Interesting. Some of us can find positives to take out of losses and negatives to take out of victories.

Others can't see past the W or the L.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Could not be more right than this. We are a team that just does not score with whatever lines are put out there under the current system. With weaker teams we have the chance to win since we might be able to hold their scoring down. Let's see what happens now that all the games are ECAC contests with teams that can put the puck in the net better than AIC. Lots of hockey left to play and hopefully we can keep this streak of 2 games without a loss going.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The only other coach I ever saw with RPI is Fridgen. Some of his behind-the-bench antics were, well, entertaining... ...but he is not my favorite. I've only seen one coach lead a team to a winning season (2 seasons, actually).
                One of the benefits of being older-I have seen 8 RPI coaches over the years so my perspective is a little bit different sometimes.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  Interesting. Some of us can find positives to take out of losses and negatives to take out of victories.

Regression to the mean, mayhaps? At least the negatives/positives we find are constructive. However, is there any time when you couldn't find positives/negatives?

Comment

Good, bad, or ugly, glad to see a W for you guys.

Comment

[
                      Bottom line...that's all that matters at this point. Its a good start.
                      You cant argue with those who want to take a postive and see a negative, as I'm sure that's the way they see everything in their lives. I see a light at the end of the tunnel and i hope the boys do too.
                      Taking the win and seeing the positive will take put them in the right mindset against Union.
                      For those who think that light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming head on.... that's your problem!

QUOTE=TimU;5316748]Good, bad, or ugly, glad to see a W for you guys.[/QUOTE]

Comment

You cant argue with those who want to take a postive and see a negative, as I'm sure that's the way they see everything in their lives.
                        My initial impression of you may have been wrong.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Bottom line...that's all that matters at this point. Its a good start.
                          You cant argue with those who want to take a postive and see a negative, as I'm sure that's the way they see everything in their lives. I see a light at the end of the tunnel and i hope the boys do too.
                          Taking the win and seeing the positive will take put them in the right mindset against Union.
                          For those who think that light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming head on.... that's your problem!
                          You can see light at the end of the tunnel, that's all well and good, but there could still be a hole in the floor along the way that you'd need to traverse around. Just because the light is there doesn't mean you're at the end. You could still fall down the hole if you aren't paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

As a long-time fan of UConn women's basketball, I know exactly what you mean. Coach Auriemma can get very upset with his team when they are up by 30 yet are making mental mistakes, and be quite composed when they compete hard and get outplayed and lose a game they could have won. He doesn't pay attention to the score, he pays attention to the play they are running at the moment.

[aside: since public television broadcasts most of their games, I have been pleasantly surprised to notice that even in a blowout the games can still be fun to watch when the players buy into this mentality, especially if you like good team defense. When they are "on" their game, the UConn women's defense reminds me of the '86 Bears defense]

PS Geno was in fine form yesterday, apparently, with the kind of response that seems to fit our recent conversations here: "There is this stuff that you should always have something for everything and after a while it just gets tiresome. They should be allowed to lose once in a while without facing an inquisition from all of their friends, fans, you guys and I think the older they are, the more they are able to handle it. The young kids they get shell shocked. Those are the things that as a young player, you have to try to figure it out. If you come to Connecticut and you are a young player and you think that one mistake, two mistakes, three mistakes are going to cost you a game and 'oh my God, I am the first player at Connecticut to lose a game.' You get scared and you play scared, I don't know any other place in America where they are afraid to lose a game."

I don't want them to feel that way. It is difficult to impress upon them to just play and don't worry about the outcome. When the outcome isn't what we want it to be 'what happened, what happened, what happened.' You take the Notre Dame as a perfect example, nobody talked about how good our defense was.' They are averaging 100 points a game (actually closer to 85) and they are scoring 60 (in regulation). They turned it over 20 times, one kid (Natalie Novosel) shot 5 for 20 from the floor. Nothing we did well was ever mentioned to any of the kids, it was all what we didn't do to win the game. After a while that gets tiresome, it gets very tiresome. It gets tiresome and you say 'Coach you only have to face that four times in the last four years.' That is what I mean, for these kids losing should be a part of the game. It shouldn't be 'how the hell did you let that happen.' They get scared, they get tentative. If I throw a bad pass it will cost us the game so what ends up happening is if you are not careful you freeze up because you play not to lose instead of playing to win. Our job as coaches is to get us past that, play to win,play to win, play to win, make plays, make plays, make plays as opposed 'I don't want to miss this.' "

Change "lose a few games now and then" to "have a losing season now and then" and his rant seems apropos, eh?
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Article title- "RPI Showing Signs of Life". Appert haters commence your bashing but I'm sticking with SA (our great coach).
                              http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...pi_finally.php
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Article title- "RPI Showing Signs of Life". Appert haters commence your bashing but I'm sticking with SA (our great coach).
                                http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...pi_finally.php
                                That's the most optimistic article I have read in ages.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X