Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Can't argue with the numbers-but i find it hard to believe that all 20+ players in the game can quit at once.
    Definitely not the entire team quitting at once, but enough that those who are working hard will find their efforts fruitless. Hockey's a team sport - if the whole team isn't on the same page, nothing gets accomplished.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Definitely not the entire team quitting at once, but enough that those who are working hard will find their efforts fruitless. Hockey's a team sport - if the whole team isn't on the same page, nothing gets accomplished.
      I just don't think that quitting is the correct terminology.
      Deflated might be a better word. No one on this team is giving up during a game. They are losing focus for a time and it is killing them.
      The penalties and the complaining about the penalties has to stop. We get no where with the officials, and they really don't seem to like us. So lets just stop the complaining.
      Go out and play hockey. If we get called, sit in the box and come out playing.
      I really believe that it is an attitude problem with both the team and the officials and it needs to be fixed.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Deflated might be a better word. No one on this team is giving up during a game. They are losing focus for a time and it is killing them.
        The penalties and the complaining about the penalties has to stop. We get no where with the officials, and they really don't seem to like us. So lets just stop the complaining.
        I really believe that it is an attitude problem with both the team and the officials and it needs to be fixed.
        I think that is correct. They haven't looked like they have been quitting, and we do have that perennial problem with officials, due to the officials' perception of RPI built up over decades..
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

No one on this team is giving up during a game.
          Disagree completely.

Comment

... They are losing focus for a time and it is killing them. .....lets just stop the complaining.
            I really believe that it is an attitude problem.
            Yes. It is partly a problem of conditioning (it is hard work to maintain mental focus!), not just physical conditioning but also psychological conditioning if you will.

It also is partly an attitude problem. I remember once having a doubles partner in beach volleyball who just whined and complained all the time. My first thought was to strangle him. I decided to play such a perfect game that there would be nothing he could possibly complain about. I pretty much refused to talk to him at all during our matches, I just ignored him and played my part with silent furious intensity. We did wind up finishing second and I never played with him again.

You can complain about the ref or you can elevate your game to show him he's just a jerk by ignoring him entirely. That takes a certain amount of maturity and we are still developing that.

In this regard I think SA himself has to take on a stronger leadership role. He's got to stop complaining about the referees too.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

A sizable segment of the penalties we've taken this year have been very much deserved, in my view. Appert seized on the separation we're seeing between being lax on the ice and taking too many dumb penalties. There needs to be controlled intensity out there, and we just haven't seen that.

With regards to complaints about the refs... we all know they suck. If there's some kind of institutionalized bias against RPI (I kind of doubt it, but given Stewart's comments last year you never know), that's a great reason to get the hell out of the league. The important thing is to call a spade a spade. When the calls are legit, say so. It gives you credibility down the road when you're getting hosed.

I did disagree with the call against AAG that led to the five on three, and from most accounts Appert wasn't really crossing any lines when he got slapped with the bench minor.

Comment

With regards to complaints about the refs... we all know they suck. If there's some kind of institutionalized bias against RPI (I kind of doubt it, but given Stewart's comments last year you never know), that's a great reason to get the hell out of the league. The important thing is to call a spade a spade. When the calls are legit, say so. It gives you credibility down the road when you're getting hosed.
                That makes sense, but I doubt that any coach does it,
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Disagree completely.
                  Maybe in the last couple of minutes, but I really haven't noticed players giving up during most of the game. Poor play, but not giving up. I certainly will admit that since you attend games you can see things that I cannot catch on video, and most of the games are just too depressing to want to watch again after the fact.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    That makes sense, but I doubt that any coach does it,
                    Well of course, do you think they'll call out their players in public for that? I know there was a "puppy poop" comment a couple years ago...

Comment

They had to look to the younger guys for scoring (JL, Haggs and Zach) and naturally there is some adjustment to the college game. I think you see these players starting to find a grove and this is where we may see the improvement from this team in the second half. The defense was good at the beginning of the year and has slid into a rough patch. Some of the upper classmen are struggling and IMO that has been the problem in this little stretch. Last year the leadership was with the forwards, CP and TH and this year the leadership needs to come from D. It is harder to impact the offense which is our deficient area in the first half from the blueliners. I really do believe that the slump in the upperclassmen Dmen is from them trying to do too much. They saw how Chase dominated and might want to do that but again it is diffucult from the Defense. Diebold has been outstanding and should see more time, no slight towards anyone but right now he is the hot guy and you need to ride him.
                      Last edited by AspyDad; 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Well of course, do you think they'll call out their players in public for that? I know there was a "puppy poop" comment a couple years ago...
                        You don't have to mention your players by name to agree with the refs when they are correct. There is a fine line here. I do feel, and I think that RC said, that we have to somehow get on the good graces of the refs or at least some of them. Schafer somehow has done that, and I have never noted a halo over his head.

Even when we successfully kill off penalties, as we have done often this season, it tires out important players needlessly.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Disagree completely.
                          What are you seeing that I am not?
                          I see us taking bad penalties and not being able to come back. But I don't see any lack of interest.
                          I see some bad decisions, especially late in games, but I don't see any lack of intensity.
                          What am I missing?
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

InCH midseason ECAC report http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...16/ecach_1011/. Needless to say, the only mentions of RPI are negative.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

What are you seeing that I am not?
                              I see us taking bad penalties and not being able to come back. But I don't see any lack of interest.
                              I see some bad decisions, especially late in games, but I don't see any lack of intensity.
                              What am I missing?
                              I'm not going to call out individuals here - these are college students at the end of the day. But I am certainly disturbed by the reaction I've seen to giving up goals and the usual result that follows of underwhelming play by more than a couple of guys. I have no doubt they all want to win, and I'm not saying that guys are intentionally dogging it when they get down.

Comment

I'm not going to call out individuals here - these are college students at the end of the day. But I am certainly disturbed by the reaction I've seen to giving up goals and the usual result that follows of underwhelming play by more than a couple of guys. I have no doubt they all want to win, and I'm not saying that guys are intentionally dogging it when they get down.
                                Considering we've won 3 games, and two of them were shutouts... Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                                X