X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariucci Classic (Minnesota Niagara Northeastern Princeton) 12-30,31

Mariucci Classic

Day 1: Minnesota/Niagara and Northeastern/Princeton

Day 2: Minnesota/Northeastern or Princeton and Niagara/Princeton or Northeastern

Minnesota possibly without the services of Nick Bjugstad and Kyle Rau for these games as they are trying out for the WJC.

Anyone from out of town traveling to Mariucci for the games?

Re: Mariucci Classic (Minnesota Niagara Northeastern Princeton) 12-30,31

Will St Pat get a rest? He better.

And MN wins the whole thing, as they should.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Methinks Shibrowski makes his debut.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Maybe, but I doubt it.
        I certainly hope he doesn't. Niagra and Northeastern aren't Sacred Heart. MN (and Lucia) can't be taking unnecessary risks, in my opinion.
        Remember, they are already going to be without Bjugstad and likely Rau.

Patterson will have 2 weekends of no games, this tournament, and then a 1 off with Notre Dame. That's plenty of rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          Maybe, but I doubt it.
          I certainly hope he doesn't. Niagra and Northeastern aren't Sacred Heart. MN (and Lucia) can't be taking unnecessary risks, in my opinion.
          Remember, they are already going to be without Bjugstad and likely Rau.

Patterson will have 2 weekends of no games, this tournament, and then a 1 off with Notre Dame. That's plenty of rest.
          How about splitting the games, as in St Pat plays 1-2 periods, to keep the rust off, and Shibrowski gets the rest of the game?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I wouldn't expect it to be so easy. Northeastern is on an 6 game win streak which includes a win at Michigan and a sweep at Notre Dame.

Comment

How about splitting the games, as in St Pat plays 1-2 periods, to keep the rust off, and Shibrowski gets the rest of the game?
              Yeah, I mean, I could see Lucia wanting to get Shibrowski into some games this year simply because he looks to be the #1 next year, and it would be nice if he had some kind of experience. I just don't like the idea of putting an untested kid into a game that isn't meaningless. If MN falters in the second half we may be looking back at the end of the season at a loss against Niagra, or Northeastern, as reason why the Gophers aren't in the tournament.

I dunno. I may be off base, but I just think Lucia understands he's not in a position to be taking chances.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, I could see Lucia wanting to get Shibrowski into some games this year simply because he looks to be the #1 next year, and it would be nice if he had some kind of experience. I just don't like the idea of putting an untested kid into a game that isn't meaningless. If MN falters in the second half we may be looking back at the end of the season at a loss against Niagra, or Northeastern, as reason why the Gophers aren't in the tournament.

I dunno. I may be off base, but I just think Lucia understands he's not in a position to be taking chances.
                If you're gonna give the Shibby ice time, this looks like the best weekend to do it, IMO.

We could always go the hindsight route. I mean, if our seed is locked the last couple weeks of the season, we could play Shibby then, but I would rather chance it now.

Comment

If you're gonna give the Shibby ice time, this looks like the best weekend to do it, IMO.

We could always go the hindsight route. I mean, if our seed is locked the last couple weeks of the season, we could play Shibby then, but I would rather chance it now.
                  I agree. If you're going to play him (without knowing how the record will look at the end of the year) this is probably the time. But, personally, if I were Lucia I wouldn't start him unless things have already been determined. As in, MN is a statistical shoe-in for the NCAA's and they aren't in a battle for #1 or #2 in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    I wouldn't expect it to be so easy. Northeastern is on an 6 game win streak which includes a win at Michigan and a sweep at Notre Dame.
                    I agree. I think these non-conference games are huge, the Gophers should be treating them as if we are playing a WCHA foe and needing points.

Possibly being without Bjugstad (27 pts) and Rau (22pts) also doesn't help either.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                      Possibly being without Bjugstad (27 pts) and Rau (22pts) also doesn't help either.
                      This is the reason I would be cautious to sit Patterson. Being without two of your best scorers doesn't leave much room for error, no matter who you are playing. I trust that Joey "1 game, 1 goal" Miller can step in and be an offensive presence in their absence but I don't think I'd take my chances.

I'd be ok with giving Shibs some clean up minutes if the game(s) are well in hand, but like others have said, Patterson has a long break now for the Christmas break and should be ready to go when they come back for tClassic.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

If you are playing an 82 game NHL season you need to rest your top goalie. I don't think it's as important in a college season of about half that length. It would be nice to get the back-up some time so he doesn't have come in completely cold in case *parise forbid* Patty gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          Mariucci Classic

Day 1: Minnesota/Niagara and Northeastern/Princeton

Day 2: Minnesota/Northeastern or Princeton and Niagara/Princeton or Northeastern

Minnesota possibly without the services of Nick Bjugstad and Kyle Rau for these games as they are trying out for the WJC.

Anyone from out of town traveling to Mariucci for the games?
                          Yes. Coming up from Nashville for the Friday night game.

Comment

I don't think Shibrowski is the #1 guy next year and I don't think Lucia necessary wants or needs to groom him for that role. I think he will have to compete with Adam Wilcox. My guess is we will be looking at an early season rotation next year and the better goalie will get the nod. Wilcox is SOLID in nets. Shibs might see some playing time yet this year....but I don't think you take Patterson out of anything. You want your number 1 guy in the nets at all time and like any coach would tell you....you want the guy that will get you a win in the pipes. Patterson has been really good this year and why mess with a good thing. Whatever happened to scheduling the Russian Elite or Norwegian National team games which usually got the back up guy in the nets?

Comment

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
                              I don't think Shibrowski is the #1 guy next year and I don't think Lucia necessary wants or needs to groom him for that role. I think he will have to compete with Adam Wilcox. My guess is we will be looking at an early season rotation next year and the better goalie will get the nod. Wilcox is SOLID in nets. Shibs might see some playing time yet this year....but I don't think you take Patterson out of anything. You want your number 1 guy in the nets at all time and like any coach would tell you....you want the guy that will get you a win in the pipes. Patterson has been really good this year and why mess with a good thing. Whatever happened to scheduling the Russian Elite or Norwegian National team games which usually got the back up guy in the nets?
                              The only exhibition this year was British Columbia and since it was the first game of the year Shibrowski got only 1/2 of it since I imagine they wanted to get Patterson into game shape before the season started.

Kent Patterson (30:08 W)
                              Michael Shibrowsku (29:52 N)
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X