Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mariucci Classic (Minnesota Niagara Northeastern Princeton) 12-30,31

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The only exhibition this year was British Columbia and since it was the first game of the year Shibrowski got only 1/2 of it since I imagine they wanted to get Patterson into game shape before the season started.

Kent Patterson (30:08 W)
    Michael Shibrowsku (29:52 N)
    Good point. He saw some limited action this season.

Comment

Happy Holidays all..
      and g'luck to the Huskies.
      Hoping for a strong showing, should be a neat experience.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Happy Holidays all..
        Sounds like you guys have been playing some good Hockey recently with big wins on the road over Notre Dame and Michigan, should be a good game if we end up facing each other on the 31st.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          Happy Holidays all..
          Hoping for a strong showing, should be a neat experience.
          Any players to look out for from Northeastern? What is their key to success at this point and leading into that tourney?

Insight on your squad would be greatly appreciated!
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Methinks Nate Schmidt will have a great weekend. 6 pts. Mark this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              Any players to look out for from Northeastern? What is their key to success at this point and leading into that tourney?

Insight on your squad would be greatly appreciated!
              Steve Quailer
              Vinny Saponari
              Ludwig Karlsson

Key to out success is goalkeeper Chris Rawlings who is now #7 in the NCAA with a save percentage of 93.3%.
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I would not take NU lightly in this tourney. Their record is very deceiving. If you just look at the record (which I think the poll voters are doing), NU looks like a .500 team that has put things together all of a sudden and is one of the hottest teams in the nation.

However when you break it down, or talk to any NU fan, you see a different story. NU is 0-4-1 in games against BC and Merrimack, both ranked #1 at a point this season. The tie was to Merrimack and was their first non-win of the season. Of the 4 losses, 3 are 1 goal games. 2 of them were OT losses that you can argue should have been wins for NU (up 3-1 on BC with 15 to go in the game).

With the game against Minn, NU will play 11 games against previously ranked #1 teams in the nation this season, Minn being the 9th game of those 11.

They also have a brand new coach, who's brought a spark to the program and the players. He's got them believing in his system and its starting to pay off early.

You turn those OT losses to ties or even wins and this NU team is ranked in the top 20 and would be given a lot of picks for possibly winning this tourney, especially if Minn guys are at the World Juniors.
                Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                  I would not take NU lightly in this tourney. Their record is very deceiving. If you just look at the record (which I think the poll voters are doing), NU looks like a .500 team that has put things together all of a sudden and is one of the hottest teams in the nation.

However when you break it down, or talk to any NU fan, you see a different story. NU is 0-4-1 in games against BC and Merrimack, both ranked #1 at a point this season. The tie was to Merrimack and was their first non-win of the season. Of the 4 losses, 3 are 1 goal games. 2 of them were OT losses that you can argue should have been wins for NU (up 3-1 on BC with 15 to go in the game).

With the game against Minn, NU will play 11 games against previously ranked #1 teams in the nation this season, Minn being the 9th game of those 11.

They also have a brand new coach, who's brought a spark to the program and the players. He's got them believing in his system and its starting to pay off early.

You turn those OT losses to ties or even wins and this NU team is ranked in the top 20 and would be given a lot of picks for possibly winning this tourney, especially if Minn guys are at the World Juniors.
                  I don't think anyone is taking them lightly, especially considering how inconsistent our team has been lately and the fact that we are certain to be without our leading scorer (Nick Bjugstad - 27pts) and could also be without Kyle Rau (22 pts) if he makes the WJC roster for the US.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                    I agree with you, I'm sure the Gophers will not take you guys lightly if they do indeed play( 2 of our top scorers may be missing as well) NU looks like a good team that is coming on strong and has beaten some top teams. I also know these types of games are huge at the end of the year for PWR rankings and should be treated like a WCHA series.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Northeaster and Niagara have both had big wins this year. This is an important weekend for the Gophers. At least two forwards are going to get playing time that normally don't, and these are important games to try and win.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                        I agree with you, I'm sure the Gophers will not take you guys lightly if they do indeed play( 2 of our top scorers may be missing as well) NU looks like a good team that is coming on strong and has beaten some top teams. I also know these types of games are huge at the end of the year for PWR rankings and should be treated like a WCHA series.
                        Maybe this is what the team needs. The last couple of weeks have been against "lower" teams and the Gophers have been dragged down a bit. Maybe this team won't make the Gophers play down to their level.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                          Steve Quailer
                          Vinny Saponari
                          Ludwig Karlsson

Key to out success is goalkeeper Chris Rawlings who is now #7 in the NCAA with a save percentage of 93.3%.
                          He was a transfer correct?

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            He was a transfer correct?
                            Yes. Boston University for two seasons, dismissed from the team, USHL for one season and then ended up on Huntington Ave.

In my opinion, he's been a little invisible on the ice the past few times I've seen him, but we all know what he's capable of doing. One other guy I'd say to look out for is Cody Ferriero. He's finally starting to show flashes of what kind of player he can be, and there have been a number of times this year he's been Johnny-on-the-spot and attacking the net at the perfect time. Watch for any feeds to Ferriero for some good scoring opportunities.
                            On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                            If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Here is the Northeastern shpeel from my point of view:

We got a new coach this year, used to play for us in the 80's back in the glory days and we started the season looking like garbage. We played some teams well as documented by previous posters, but overall we didn't look anything like many of us were hoping we'd look like. It was very frustrating to say the least, especially given the offensive talent and depth on this team. Then the light switch flicked on and ever since we've played great 5 on 5 hockey, the power play and PK are still works in progress, but our overall play as of late has been light years ahead of what it has previously been. Key guys to watch:

#14 Braden Pimm (Forward), in my opinion our best overall player, makes a lot of smart plays, play maker in the offensive zone and has really good instincts on the PK.

#37 Chris Rawlings (Goalie) he's been the back bone of our recent success, he's really shown big strides from last year and even earlier in the season, he's a big guy (6 foot 5) but his lateral movement has really improved.

#7 Anthony Bitetto (Defense) great puck handler, good vision from the point especially on the PP, has really upped his defensive game this year and has just been solid all around.

#74 Vinny Saponari (Forward) Probably our most talented forward, especially offensively, he can really see the ice well and dish out the puck to his line mates.

So that's the basic run down, had I'd known we'd be playing this well I probably would have made an effort to go to this. Oh well, next time.
                              Arenas Attended
                              Matthews Arena
                              Agganis Arena
                              Tsongas Arena
                              Lawler Arena
                              Schneider Arena
                              Mullins Center
                              TD Banknorth Garden
                              Conte Forum
                              Whittemore Center
                              Gutterson Fieldhouse
                              Alfond Arena
                              Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Quailer is the best player on NU.
                                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X