Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patty Kaz 2012

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
    I question Schelling only because I saw her get lit up by Princeton. Why not Rigsby instead? Because of conference representation?
    Yes, conference & team representation. Wisconsin has 3 strong forward contenders and the WCHA has at least seven strong forward contenders. It'll be tough for Rigsby to get votes.

Schelling meanwhile is the No. 1 contender in Hockey East. Despite that awful performance against Princeton, she is 5th in GAA and 2nd in save percentage among the clear No. 1 goalies (dropping the Brown and Union goalies who've basically split time). Schelling is also a past Kaz 10 selection. Though yes, I don't see her getting Kampersal's vote.

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
      Coyne is good but not Kazmier good yet, she will be though I feel.
      I agree, but she's still in contention to make the Kaz 10, simply because Hockey East is lacking other contenders, and she's the league's top scorer at the moment. If her scoring pace improves in the 2nd half, and Northeastern ends up leading Hockey East in late February, then I expect Coyne could make that cut.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
        I agree, but she's still in contention to make the Kaz 10, simply because Hockey East is lacking other contenders, and she's the league's top scorer at the moment. If her scoring pace improves in the 2nd half, and Northeastern ends up leading Hockey East in late February, then I expect Coyne could make that cut.
        I wouldn't complain if she gets recognized. If Coyne could finish more of her breakaways, which she has a lot of, then she could definitely show up in some ballots. I just only see one NU player on the ballot, if any, and Schelling I think would get that nod in more voters ballots.

Comment

Sure, I agree that is the most likely outcome.

Comment

I guess I have no reason or stats to back it up, so I'll admit that up front, but my vote goes to Hilary Knight every day and twice on Sunday. I believe that she, not Decker, is the best player in the world. Though really, as a Wisconsin fan, I like the argument where I can decide which of our players is the best in the world.

Obviously I'm happy no matter what happens in terms of a Badger winning the Patty, but Hilary has had such an amazing career and I would hate to see that go unrewarded. She is the all-time highest scoring Badger ever (men's or women's) and she took the title just a few weeks into the season. The previous record, held by Mark Johnson, stood for 30-some years. If she keeps going on this pace, her new record might be untouchable.

She started a little slow and I hope that doesn't hurt her. Her early few weeks were spent handing out assists to her teammates, but now she's coming on stronger.
            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

There needs to be a case for Hilary to win the award, without resorting to career achievement. That's not to say career achievement is irrelevant -- the way I'd put it, it matters in terms of how voters will rationalize their choices. But there needs to be a strong case, e.g. Meghan Agosta was not able to win because there wasn't a strong enough argument for her in any one season.

I do believe there is a case for Hilary at the moment. I laid it out before. The WCHA stats, the 17 goals, while the next best is JLam with 13 and everyone else is 11 or fewer -- that stands out for me, plus the context of those goals. The Minnesota games right after break are crucial. Hilary was 0-0-0 in the first Minnesota series. It'd be hard to win the Kaz if you're scoreless in 4 close games against your top rival.

Comment

Yes, conference & team representation. Wisconsin has 3 strong forward contenders and the WCHA has at least seven strong forward contenders. It'll be tough for Rigsby to get votes.

Schelling meanwhile is the No. 1 contender in Hockey East. Despite that awful performance against Princeton, she is 5th in GAA and 2nd in save percentage among the clear No. 1 goalies (dropping the Brown and Union goalies who've basically split time). Schelling is also a past Kaz 10 selection. Though yes, I don't see her getting Kampersal's vote.
                Talking about Goalies, how about one from the ECAC. Howe from Clarkson has the best GAA AND the most minutes. You can argue a large part of Clarkson's success todate has been thanks to her. If Clarkson ends up making a run in the second half, she would have to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  Talking about Goalies, how about one from the ECAC. Howe from Clarkson has the best GAA AND the most minutes. You can argue a large part of Clarkson's success todate has been thanks to her. If Clarkson ends up making a run in the second half, she would have to be considered.
                  She's definitely rebounded after a somewhat shaky start, getting lit up by SLU and giving up 3 goals on not many shots in ties to both Vermont and UConn, a couple of teams Clarkson should be able to beat. That could have been her defense, not her, but it still adversely impacts her resume.

The question will be what happens when she plays better competition. The 2-2 tie with BU doesn't look as good as it once did. Only gave up two goals a game to Harvard, but they were both losses. She had a tie with Dartmouth, another two-goals-against game, so the shutout of Dartmouth is probably her signature game thus far. The Cornell games will be huge in terms of making a statement.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Sure, if Clarkson makes a run... but Clarkson only has 1 win over a team above .500 this season (Quinnipiac). Also, unlike Schelling, Howe has a lot more talent in conference to contend with for votes.

Clarkson does have games left against BC, Northeastern, and Cornell (twice), so she'll have a lot of opportunity to prove herself.

Comment

Spooner seems to be doing a ton without the help many other candidates get. Coyne just might take NU to the top of Hockey East after finishing fifth last year. There should also be more top D from the average programs identified.

Comment

I don't think there is a clear-cut winner this year, but I believe any reasonable fan would have to put J. Lam in the top 3.

2nd in the nation in points, while leading the nation in assists.
                        Cut down considerable in PIM's compared to her first two seasons.
                        Has energized and elevated her play as UND was ranked 5th in a USCHO poll (highest ever)
                        Compared to other top international players IN international events, she has shined for Team USA.

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
                        WCHA Playoff Champions:
                        NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
                        NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
                          2nd in the nation in points, while leading the nation in assists.
                          Impressive
                          Cut down considerable in PIM's compared to her first two seasons.
                          That's good
                          Has energized and elevated her play as UND was ranked 5th in a USCHO poll (highest ever)
                          Not all that impressive. Show me JLam leading UND to a win over Wisconsin, and then that's impressive.
                          Compared to other top international players IN international events, she has shined for Team USA.
                          Irrelevant, or at least it should be.

The race for the top 3 is still very wide open, though I suspect Bram and Johnston are probably the only serious contenders outside the WCHA.

Comment

The race for the top 3 is still very wide open, though I suspect Bram and Johnston are probably the only serious contenders outside the WCHA.
                            I'd put Schelling ahead of Johnston right now, mainly because of the lack of marquee games for R.J. A nice weekend against BU is starting to look like a footnote, missed Dartmouth and Harvard, a goal and a 2nd assist in middle period of the MC win, no points and a -1 in the loss. She'll need more to get to final three. Although I guess Schelling doesn't exactly have a "Wow!" win either.

Comment

Well, after 2 periods at Mercyhurst, MC leads 5-0. Guess who has 5 points. Yep, Bram. Mercyhurst rolling all lines.
                              "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                                Well, after 2 periods at Mercyhurst, MC leads 5-0. Guess who has 5 points. Yep, Bram. Mercyhurst rolling all lines.
                                Good for her, but I'm not sure games against Lindenwood belong anywhere near a Kaz discussion. When we get serious about narrowing down the list, the first thing I'm going to do is subtract out points earned against the Lions or any other statistically challenged teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X