Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTU at NMU, Friday, Dec. 16: Our Assistant Coach Can Beat Up Your Assistant Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTU at NMU, Friday, Dec. 16: Our Assistant Coach Can Beat Up Your Assistant Coach

After Saturday's festivities, Stephen Anderson points out we're going to see a similar style of play again this Friday and need to keep our cool.
    The Wildcats are third in the nation in penalty minutes and have already racked up nine major penalties and five game misconducts.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Re: MTU at NMU, Friday, Dec. 16: Our Assistant Coach Can Beat Up Your Assistant Coach

I pick Tech to win both NMU games, based solely on this season's statistics. I saw NMU play Wisconsin in the opener at the Kohl Center and they looked very strong. However, they've been inconsistent over the season. One could say the same about Tech. That said, both MTU and NMU have 18 games under their belts. Nearly every stat favors Tech as being a significantly stronger team than Northern this year. Here are some basic stats from the WCHA and CCHA websites:

Pts for/against:
      Tech - 143/137
      NMU - 125/128

Shots on goal:
      Tech - 555
      NMU: 433

Goals/Game:
      Tech - 2.94
      NMU - 2.56

Goalies are about even in stats. Tech has 11 players with over 6 points, while NMU has only 9 players over 6 points. In short, I think Tech has a scoring edge and also has more depth than NMU. Tech should be able to win both games unless they lose their composure and have a penalty fest.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        I pick Tech to win both NMU games, based solely on this season's statistics. I saw NMU play Wisconsin in the opener at the Kohl Center and they looked very strong. However, they've been inconsistent over the season. One could say the same about Tech. That said, both MTU and NMU have 18 games under their belts. Nearly every stat favors Tech as being a significantly stronger team than Northern this year. Here are some basic stats from the WCHA and CCHA websites:

Pts for/against:
        Tech - 143/137
        NMU - 125/128

Shots on goal:
        Tech - 555

Goals/Game:
        Tech - 2.94
        NMU - 2.56

Goalies are about even in stats. Tech has 11 players with over 6 points, while NMU has only 9 players over 6 points. In short, I think Tech has a scoring edge and also has more depth than NMU. Tech should be able to win both games unless they lose their composure and have a penalty fest.
        That all means nothing.

1. It doesn't include strength of schedule
        2. They're not that much different, seriously, 2.94 Goals vs. 2.56?
        3. Its still a rivalry. How did the season stats look some of the years Tech beat NMU in the last 20 years?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
          Shots on goal:NMU: 433
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          That all means nothing.
          Right, bigblue, throw the stats out for this one. But, I sure would like to see NMU improve SOG numbers. I know they have their own style of play, but even so.

CCHA SOG Overall

UoM: 650
          LSSU: 580
          Miami: 569
          ND: 568
          OSU: 565
          WMU: 552
          ALSK: 540
          BGSU: 513
          MSU: 503
          FSU: 473
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

NMU has played a much more difficult schedule then Tech. Personally I believe the CCHA is a much stronger league then the WCHA, this year that is. I also think all but 1 opponent was ranked when Northern played them, so you can just get rid of those stats.
            NMU

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
              Right, bigblue, throw the stats out for this one. But, I sure would like to see NMU improve SOG numbers. I know they have their own style of play, but even so.

CCHA SOG Overall

UoM: 650
              LSSU: 580
              Miami: 569
              ND: 568
              OSU: 565
              WMU: 552
              ALSK: 540
              BGSU: 513
              MSU: 503
              FSU: 473

Walt has never been worried about the SOG stat. What's more important to him (and I agree) is quality scoring chances. Those particular numbers tend to be much closer game to game.

The strength of schedule to date between NMU and MTU isn't close. But, really, that doesn't count in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                That all means nothing.
                1. It doesn't include strength of schedule
                2. They're not that much different, seriously, 2.94 Goals vs. 2.56?
                3. Its still a rivalry. How did the season stats look some of the years Tech beat NMU in the last 20 years?
                Oh yeah, well how's your attendance down there in the "Southern UP"?
                Sorry, I had to go there but it is an important factor in discussing team strength as we learned from the Goofers.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Sorry, I had to go there but it is an important factor in discussing team strength as we learned from the Goofers.

Ryan J
                  He's a Tech fan from MN, I doubt he cares.

Comment

Ryan J
                    As pointed out already bigblue is on your side.

And attendance has been hurting at LSSU. It was discussed in the NMU/LSSU thread last week.
                    Oh, wait, you were trying to be funny regarding NMU's latitude. Such a shame you don't own a MAP.

Jesus, don't they teach you engineer's anything?
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      As pointed out already bigblue is on your side.

And attendance has been hurting at LSSU. It was discussed in the NMU/LSSU thread last week.
                      Oh, wait, you were trying to be funny regarding NMU's latitude. Such a shame you don't own a MAP.

Last time I checked, 46°32′47″N was south of 47°7′2″N but I guess quotes confuse you?
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Taffy Able Arena, LSSU Campus:
                        Latitude Longitude
                        46.48990 -84.36589

Berry Events Center, NMU Campus:
                        Latitude Longitude
                        46.55758 -87.39268

And here I thought Civil Engineering was one of MTU's stronger degrees...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Taffy Able Arena, LSSU Campus:
                          Latitude Longitude
                          46.48990 -84.36589

Berry Events Center, NMU Campus:
                          Latitude Longitude
                          46.55758 -87.39268

And here I thought Civil Engineering was one of MTU's stronger degrees...
                          South of Houghton is "Southern UP"
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            South of Houghton is "Southern UP"
                            Every public university in the Upper Peninsula is "Southern" to Houghton.

Lake State would fit the "Southern UP" school as JohnsonsJerseys tried to make a funny comment about.
                            Last edited by aparch; 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM. Reason: Fixing who said what.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

a
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Ryan J
                                Only according to Shirtless Guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X