Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

I might as well start a thread for this tourney. Even though it is a half a month to go, these are RPI's next games. The opening round is RPI-UML and UConn-Army.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I might as well start a thread for this tourney. Even though it is a half a month to go, these are RPI's next games. The opening round is RPI-UML and UConn-Army.
    Lowell will be hoping to head into that game against RPI on a six game winning streak. I'll let you know after tonight's game.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Lowell will be hoping to head into that game against RPI on a six game winning streak.
      RPI won't.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        RPI won't.
        Neither will Lowell.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Lowell-UConn championship game prediction, easily. Army might beat Rensselaer in consolation. We're that bad.

Comment

For the RPI fans that will be there, you'll get to see Terrence Wallin play for Lowell. He chose UML over RPI as his final decision, and I don't think any Lowell fan has been disappointed. He's been named the HE Rookie of the Week twice already, and is the second leading freshman in points with a 3-7-10 in 15 games.
            Monty

Comment

I'd love to get to the finals, assuming UCONN beats Army, but can't make it on the 30th. I always enjoy this tournament. Nothing against Lowell, but we already played (and beat) them. I'd rather play RPI,just because I like to play as many different non-conference games as possible. Hopefully not in the consolation game! UCONN has a couple of solid players, brant harris, Cole Schnieartus. der, Alex Gerske, and a pretty good goaltender who can be very good if he gets hot in Bartus. Not in love with their d-men. I Think they give up too many shots. As I say, I am looking forward to this tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                I'd love to get to the finals, assuming UCONN beats Army, but can't make it on the 30th. I always enjoy this tournament. Nothing against Lowell, but we already played (and beat) them. I'd rather play RPI,just because I like to play as many different non-conference games as possible. Hopefully not in the consolation game! UCONN has a couple of solid players, brant harris, Cole Schnieartus. der, Alex Gerske, and a pretty good goaltender who can be very good if he gets hot in Bartus. Not in love with their d-men. I Think they give up too many shots. As I say, I am looking forward to this tourney.
                Personally I think you'll see a completely different Lowell team in the finals (if that happens) than you saw/might have seen back in October.

Many of us still have no idea why they scheduled that UConn game in the first place considering that Lowell was just coming back from a 2-game set in Minnesota and had to start their third game in 96 hours (rare in college hockey). Also quite a few of the players on the roster that game are no longer with the team, or rarely touch the ice now.
                Monty

Comment

Personally I think you'll see a completely different Lowell team in the finals (if that happens) than you saw/might have seen back in October.

Many of us still have no idea why they scheduled that UConn game in the first place considering that Lowell was just coming back from a 2-game set in Minnesota and had to start their third game in 96 hours (rare in college hockey). Also quite a few of the players on the roster that game are no longer with the team, or rarely touch the ice now.
                  It has a very strong vibe of "game scheduled at the last minute".

UConn's schedule was released in an atypically sloppy fashion this season, with several games still listed as TBA datewise, too many games initially, games that did not match with already-released schedules from teams supposedly on UConn's (UMass-Amherst being one of them) and with a major revision occurring rather stealthily just a few days after "official release". UML was one of those matches which was TBA, which suggests to me they did not plan on making UConn's return trip to Lowell this year (in the same year as the tournament appearance), but something with another team fell through.

Likewise, the fact that UML scheduled it at a community rink on a Tuesday night while Tsongas was under renovation suggests that neither team could find the space later in the season to hold the game.
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Fact of the matter is that it seems like Blaise had a hard time putting together a schedule... not sure if that's because the other coaches thought he was dead man walking or that he didn't have a way to fit into an ECAC team's schedule... or that he really wanted the date at home. In either case, it was an awkward date to set. I have to think, including the scheduling of the Russian Red Stars or whatever that Blaise just couldn't put together a schedule for this year.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

If Lowell has a long term that includes the NCAA then losing to UConn isn't that bad... you never really choose your losses but if you could the Pairwise favors losing to a UConn more than losing to a BC
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I'm looking forward to the trip.

Truth be told, with the way Lowell's been playing and dropping the last game before break, I will be shocked if the River Hawks don't steamroll their way through this tourney. They're on a completely different level right now than RPI, UConn and Army and anything other than two decisive wins will be a disappointment.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Oh I don't doubt that it would be a very difficult game for UCONN. I just prefer not playing the same team more than once non-conference. though if the choice is Lowell in the Championship or RPI in the consolation, I'll take a replay. I always assume that UCONN will be the underdog, and a pretty big dog at that when they play a non-conference game, and particularly against a Hockey East team.

Comment

So ... who"s gonna be there? I most probably will be unless the skiing gets really good (not looking too promising right now).

Comment

I'll be there for the first night. Gotta go out of town for the weekend on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X