Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
    There is a new pizza joint just off campus on 195 East, by DP Dough - Randy's Wooster Street pizza - have heard good things but have not tried it yet. My favorite sit-down place closest to campus is Angellino's on 195 East in the Big Y plaza, couple miles from campus but not as far as Willimantic - good Italian, and they have pizza & calzones too - big portions. Avoid the Applebees in Mansfield by the Eastbrook "Mall" - crappy food, service and usually full of tweens.
    Yup, there's that too (though it wasn't there when I was an undergrad). Randy's is a smallish chain, anchored in Southington. It's close to, but not quite as good as, New Haven's best apizza, but it's a good representative of the style. Probably worth the try if you're a pizza type, too.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
      Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?
      Unless babo has a very large family.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        Yup, there's that too (though it wasn't there when I was an undergrad). Randy's is a smallish chain, anchored in Southington. It's close to, but not quite as good as, New Haven's best apizza, but it's a good representative of the style. Probably worth the try if you're a pizza type, too.
        I only had one from there... wasn't thrilled... still wish I made it to pepe's... i had a couple of cold slices of chicken and sausage once.

I'd go to Pete's new haven style down here in arlington except its too much pizza.

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        There's also DP Dough, which is one of the big collegiate delivery spots (but they've got a small storefront) on 195. Reasonably cheap and filling calzones, and a solid variety of them.
        You know, I never did DP Dough... always liked Sgt. Pep's (usually closed over break) and as a grad student it isn't like you've got a bunch of people looking to share in a food run.
        Last edited by Patman; 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

If anyone from Troy does DP Dough... that's kind of lame.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

For good burgers, no booze, Jack Rabbits just across 195 from campus is a good bet.
            1244 Storrs Rd
            Storrs, CT 06268
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
              Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?
              Normally the place would be half to three quarters full. The only uncertainty is these $2 tickets which they have not done before and which they are advertising quite a bit. The may bring out a pretty large youth hockey crowd even though almost all youth programs go to tournaments this week. A couple years ago the Union v UMass game at 4:00 was pretty much full. Get there early to be sure.

Comment

RPI hasn't played an overtime game yet this year, so this question may be purely of academic interest.

Is there now a standard NCAA rule that if a tournament game is tied at the end of 60 minutes, there will be one five-minute sudden-death overtime, followed by a shootout if no one scores? Or is it up to the people running each individual tournament to decide whether to use that method or use a Stanley Cup approach of playing overtime as long as it takes until someone scores?

If the latter is the case, what method are they going to use in this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                  RPI hasn't played an overtime game yet this year, so this question may be purely of academic interest.

Is there now a standard NCAA rule that if a tournament game is tied at the end of 60 minutes, there will be one five-minute sudden-death overtime, followed by a shootout if no one scores? Or is it up to the people running each individual tournament to decide whether to use that method or use a Stanley Cup approach of playing overtime as long as it takes until someone scores?

If the latter is the case, what method are they going to use in this tournament?
                  Almost certainly, 5min OT and shootout on first day and consolation. Championship? Doubt it's full OT til winner on that. BTW, for NCAA purposes any 'shootout' will be considered a tie and the shootout just to determine advancement/place in tournament.
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                    So where are good local places to pick up good food and great brew in the Manchester/Stoors area?
                    As a displaced Lowellian that just moved to Manchester,I'd recommend Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery, 1487 Pleasant Valley Road, Manchester, CT for some good brews.

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                      Almost certainly, 5min OT and shootout on first day and consolation. Championship? Doubt it's full OT til winner on that. BTW, for NCAA purposes any 'shootout' will be considered a tie and the shootout just to determine advancement/place in tournament.
                      it's up to the tourney. The RPI tourney used to have unlimited OT's except in the consolation game. The NCAA counts the result even if there is more than a 5-minute overtime, but indeed a shootout decision is counted as a tie.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by HawksSk860 View Post
                        As a displaced Lowellian that just moved to Manchester,I'd recommend Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery, 1487 Pleasant Valley Road, Manchester, CT for some good brews.
                        Now this sounds like my kinda place. Might hit this one when I get down there tomorrow.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Are any of these games available online via America One? Or a different source.

Comment

So the Lowell game (no matter the result of the UConn/Army game) will be at 7:15 right? That affects my departure time from NH tomorrow morning.
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Lowell game is 7:15 no matter what.

Thanks for all the info on food/drinks/etc. Looking forward to heading down tomorrow after tonight's solid thrashing of RPI.
                              UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by HawksSk860 View Post
                                Heh....was there today for lunch. It used to be John Harvards. Pretty happy with it.
                                Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                                Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                                "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                                KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Working...
                                X