PDA

View Full Version : Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

kingdobbs
12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
There is a new pizza joint just off campus on 195 East, by DP Dough - Randy's Wooster Street pizza - have heard good things but have not tried it yet. My favorite sit-down place closest to campus is Angellino's on 195 East in the Big Y plaza, couple miles from campus but not as far as Willimantic - good Italian, and they have pizza & calzones too - big portions. Avoid the Applebees in Mansfield by the Eastbrook "Mall" - crappy food, service and usually full of tweens.

Yup, there's that too (though it wasn't there when I was an undergrad). Randy's is a smallish chain, anchored in Southington. It's close to, but not quite as good as, New Haven's best apizza, but it's a good representative of the style. Probably worth the try if you're a pizza type, too.

Ralph Baer
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?

Unless babo has a very large family. ;)

Patman
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Yup, there's that too (though it wasn't there when I was an undergrad). Randy's is a smallish chain, anchored in Southington. It's close to, but not quite as good as, New Haven's best apizza, but it's a good representative of the style. Probably worth the try if you're a pizza type, too.

I only had one from there... wasn't thrilled... still wish I made it to pepe's... i had a couple of cold slices of chicken and sausage once.

I'd go to Pete's new haven style down here in arlington except its too much pizza.

There's also DP Dough, which is one of the big collegiate delivery spots (but they've got a small storefront) on 195. Reasonably cheap and filling calzones, and a solid variety of them.

You know, I never did DP Dough... always liked Sgt. Pep's (usually closed over break) and as a grad student it isn't like you've got a bunch of people looking to share in a food run.

Red Cloud
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
If anyone from Troy does DP Dough... that's kind of lame.

LTsatch
12-28-2011, 11:00 PM
For good burgers, no booze, Jack Rabbits just across 195 from campus is a good bet.
1244 Storrs Rd
Storrs, CT 06268

RSTuthill
12-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?
Normally the place would be half to three quarters full. The only uncertainty is these $2 tickets which they have not done before and which they are advertising quite a bit. The may bring out a pretty large youth hockey crowd even though almost all youth programs go to tournaments this week. A couple years ago the Union v UMass game at 4:00 was pretty much full. Get there early to be sure.

Waite21
12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
RPI hasn't played an overtime game yet this year, so this question may be purely of academic interest.

Is there now a standard NCAA rule that if a tournament game is tied at the end of 60 minutes, there will be one five-minute sudden-death overtime, followed by a shootout if no one scores? Or is it up to the people running each individual tournament to decide whether to use that method or use a Stanley Cup approach of playing overtime as long as it takes until someone scores?

If the latter is the case, what method are they going to use in this tournament?

Go-UML
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
RPI hasn't played an overtime game yet this year, so this question may be purely of academic interest.

Is there now a standard NCAA rule that if a tournament game is tied at the end of 60 minutes, there will be one five-minute sudden-death overtime, followed by a shootout if no one scores? Or is it up to the people running each individual tournament to decide whether to use that method or use a Stanley Cup approach of playing overtime as long as it takes until someone scores?

If the latter is the case, what method are they going to use in this tournament?Almost certainly, 5min OT and shootout on first day and consolation. Championship? Doubt it's full OT til winner on that. BTW, for NCAA purposes any 'shootout' will be considered a tie and the shootout just to determine advancement/place in tournament.

HawksSk860
12-29-2011, 01:10 PM
So where are good local places to pick up good food and great brew in the Manchester/Stoors area?

As a displaced Lowellian that just moved to Manchester,I'd recommend Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery, 1487 Pleasant Valley Road, Manchester, CT for some good brews.

Ralph Baer
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Almost certainly, 5min OT and shootout on first day and consolation. Championship? Doubt it's full OT til winner on that. BTW, for NCAA purposes any 'shootout' will be considered a tie and the shootout just to determine advancement/place in tournament. it's up to the tourney. The RPI tourney used to have unlimited OT's except in the consolation game. The NCAA counts the result even if there is more than a 5-minute overtime, but indeed a shootout decision is counted as a tie.

UMLFan
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
As a displaced Lowellian that just moved to Manchester,I'd recommend Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery, 1487 Pleasant Valley Road, Manchester, CT for some good brews.Now this sounds like my kinda place. Might hit this one when I get down there tomorrow.

hckygoalie31
12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Are any of these games available online via America One? Or a different source.

UMLFan
12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
So the Lowell game (no matter the result of the UConn/Army game) will be at 7:15 right? That affects my departure time from NH tomorrow morning.

jrobes01
12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Lowell game is 7:15 no matter what.

Thanks for all the info on food/drinks/etc. Looking forward to heading down tomorrow after tonight's solid thrashing of RPI.

Go-UML
12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
As a displaced Lowellian that just moved to Manchester,I'd recommend Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery, 1487 Pleasant Valley Road, Manchester, CT for some good brews.Heh....was there today for lunch. It used to be John Harvards. Pretty happy with it.

Waite21
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
UConn wins Thursday's nightcap, 2-0.

It'll be RPI vs. Army in the consolation and UML vs. UConn in the championship on Friday.

UMLFan
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
UConn wins Thursday's nightcap, 2-0.

It'll be RPI vs. Army in the consolation and UML vs. UConn in the championship on Friday.Lowell gets their chance at a rematch...

Go-UML
12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Lowell gets their chance at a rematch...Pretty happy with that.

RSTuthill
12-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Attendance was 1587 tonight. Not too bad.

UConn played as if practicing for UML sending only one on the forecheck most of the game. It was way closer than it should have been.

Edit: Attendance was not too bad considering the women were playing next door at Gampel at the same time.

One other note: that SHG by David Vallorani was a thing of absolute beauty. You can't teach that kind of thing. You are either born with it or you are not.

HawksSk860
12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Not sure how early I can make it to the game... does anybody anticipate this being sold out?