X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyota UConn Holiday Classic (UConn, RPI, UML, Army) 12/29-30

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Thanks for that.

From the Lowell side of things, I'd mentioned a little bit about this earlier but will expand on my comments here. Sophomore goalie Doug Carr has been easily the biggest revelation of the season for this team, and if it wasn't for Joe Cannata being in HE, he'd be the goalie of the year so far. Chad Ruhwedel, another sophomore, has been one of the best defensemen in the league and leads the league in points from the blueline. This Lowell team has been very fortunate in not only getting points from all four lines, but also getting contributions from every class. At the top of the point charts is a senior Matt Ferreira (7-8-15), followed by a junior in Riley Wetmore (7-7-14), followed by Ruhwedel (2-12-15), and fellow sophomore Derek Arnold (8-5-13) and freshman Scott Wilson (6-7-13). There are three freshmen in the top 10 for scoring, and 7 of the top 10 are underclassmen, so that's setting up well for the future as well.

They're 9-0 when leading after two, but have only won one game when trailing or tied after 2 (1-5).
    RPI has been the opposite,they lack the scoring and at times leadership from the upperclassmen. Seth Appert loves to go with his juniors and seniors in big games,which i understand in most situations but the majority of our upperclassmen are good grinders and penalty killers (which has been a strength this year) but lack the ability to bury the puck, in short our coach relies on the older guys in big games but the older guys are really relying on the younger guys in key situations.(not trying to bash coach,hes the coach for a reason, thats just how i see it)There have also been times where upper classmen and even captains have been taking too many bad penalties or making mistakes you dont tend to see seniors make. Our power play has been awful and lacks originality and overall if you watch RPI enough they become a very predictable team.
    Last edited by NYhockeyguy; 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM.
    RIT Tigers
    2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
    2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

A considerable segment of those who post on the RPI threads are eagerly hoping that the Engineers will join Notre Dame as a new member of Hockey East two years hence. There is also a considerable body of opinion that Coach Seth Appert, though he has not said so publicly, strongly desires such a move.

Thursday afternoon will be the only game RPI will play this season against a Hockey East opponent. If they want to demonstrate that they are worthy of Hockey East membership, this will not be a good time to lay an egg.

The teams' won-lost records and statistics say UML should have an easy time against RPI, but I would suspect Appert will do everything he can to get his team fired up for this one. Hope it's enough to make for a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
        RPI has been the opposite,they lack the scoring and at times leadership from the upperclassmen. Seth Appert loves to go with his juniors and seniors in big games,which i understand in most situations but the majority of our upperclassmen are good and grinders and penalty killers (which has been a strength this year) but lack the ability to bury the puck, in short our coach relies on the older guys in big games but the older guys are really relying on the younger guys in key situations.(not trying to bash coach,hes the coach for a reason, thats just how i see it)There have also been times where upper classmen and even captains have been taking too many bad penalties or making mistakes you dont tend to see seniors make. Our power play has been awful and lacks originality and overall if you watch RPI enough they become a very predictable team.
        Concise and to the point-and unfortunately a very accurate description of the season so far.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Thursday afternoon will be the only game RPI will play this season against a Hockey East opponent. If they want to demonstrate that they are worthy of Hockey East membership, this will not be a good time to lay an egg.
          I would suggest that the results of a single game will not be the reason RPI is or is not invited to join Hockey East.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            I would suggest that the results of a single game will not be the reason RPI is or is not invited to join Hockey East.
            Agreed completely
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
              RPI has been the opposite,they lack the scoring and at times leadership from the upperclassmen. Seth Appert loves to go with his juniors and seniors in big games,which i understand in most situations but the majority of our upperclassmen are good grinders and penalty killers (which has been a strength this year) but lack the ability to bury the puck, in short our coach relies on the older guys in big games but the older guys are really relying on the younger guys in key situations.(not trying to bash coach,hes the coach for a reason, thats just how i see it)There have also been times where upper classmen and even captains have been taking too many bad penalties or making mistakes you dont tend to see seniors make. Our power play has been awful and lacks originality and overall if you watch RPI enough they become a very predictable team.
              Recently, however, he has indicated that we will see more of the younger players.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Agreed completely
                +1

Comment

So where are good local places to pick up good food and great brew in the Manchester/Stoors area?
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                    So where are good local places to pick up good food and great brew in the Manchester/Stoors area?
                    Willimantic Brewery, Willimantic... Never made it over there but I've heard god things.

Willington Pizza, Willington... About a half mile up 32 from 195. Featured on the Today show years back... I'm not sold on the piza myself but has good pizza and beer options

Don't know much about in and around Manchester... Plenty of chain options

Campus... I've heard decent things about Bidwell Tavern (route 32... South of 195)... Not on campus but within striking distance.

If I were going I'd see if Teds was open... Nothing special but it's a nice campus spot for greasy pizza and beer... But that's just me... Get a few drinks socially then climb the hill to the rink. Don't keep high expectations... Except a campus bar with decent food... You can get better pizza in Willington

There is a decent Chinese place on 195 near campus... Chang's Garden... Not a destination spot but a nice place to eat a good meal.

There is a dunk on campus but it closes somewhat early... Otherwise hit the gas station on the SW side of 44/195. There's also a store 24 in "downtown" storrs in case you want an incidental or two on the ride home. Has a subway shop in store.

Anything else near campus can be rather haphazard... But I've given enough to make life interesting... Dobbs, care to chime in?
                    Last edited by Patman; 12-28-2011, 06:24 PM.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      Willimantic Brewery, Willimantic... Never made it over there but I've heard god things.

Willington Pizza, Willington... About a half mile up 32 from 195. Featured on the Today show years back... I'm not sold on the piza myself but has good pizza and beer options

Don't know much about in and around Manchester... Plenty of chain options

Campus... I've heard decent things about Bidwell Tavern (route 32... South of 195)... Not on campus but within striking distance.

If I were going I'd see if Teds was open... Nothing special but it's a nice campus spot for greasy pizza and beer... But that's just me... Get a few drinks socially then climb the hill to the rink. Don't keep high expectations... Except a campus bar with decent food... You can get better pizza in Willington

There is a decent Chinese place on 195 near campus... Chang's Garden... Not a destination spot but a nice place to eat a good meal.

There is a dunk on campus but it closes somewhat early... Otherwise hit the gas station on the SW side of 44/195. There's also a store 24 in "downtown" storrs in case you want an incidental or two on the ride home. Has a subway shop in store.

Anything else near campus can be rather haphazard... But I've given enough to make life interesting... Dobbs, care to chime in?
                      Will agree with Willington Pizza, Bidwell, Willimantic Brewery, Chang's Garden as worthwhile places to go. Ted's appears to still be open, and has pretty good subs.

Manchester has mostly the chain type places (off hand: Longhorn Steakhouse, Red Robin, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, Hooters, Bertucci's, Chili's, Outback...) near the Buckland Hills mall, if that's your thing. There's a couple of good watering holes in the "downtown" area that I'm familiar with, Hartford Road Cafe on Hartford Road, and the Main Pub on the corner of Main St and Middle Turnpike West; both are primarily bars but will have some good food on the menu.

There's also DP Dough, which is one of the big collegiate delivery spots (but they've got a small storefront) on 195. Reasonably cheap and filling calzones, and a solid variety of them.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                          Will agree with Willington Pizza, Bidwell, Willimantic Brewery, Chang's Garden as worthwhile places to go. Ted's appears to still be open, and has pretty good subs.
                          Bidwell's has excellent wings, beer & burgers and I love the 1700s tavern atmosphere, but sparse on dinner entrees IMO.

There is a new pizza joint just off campus on 195 East, by DP Dough - Randy's Wooster Street pizza - have heard good things but have not tried it yet. My favorite sit-down place closest to campus is Angellino's on 195 East in the Big Y plaza, couple miles from campus but not as far as Willimantic - good Italian, and they have pizza & calzones too - big portions. Avoid the Applebees in Mansfield by the Eastbrook "Mall" - crappy food, service and usually full of tweens.

There is also a kind of hidden eatery I have been to several times and they have really good burgers and plenty of other selections. Tavernhouse Grill - it's just off the highway (I-84) on route 195 (http://www.tavernhousegrill.com/) - have had several good meals there in the past few months and plenty of tables to sit down - it's in a strip-mall type place, next to a Cardio Express - set back off the road, so not real visible unless you know it's there - but definitely good food.

EDIT: Also, be aware there is a Women's B-Ball game at Gampel @ 7:30, so there could be traffic heading into campus from the West (off I-84) around 7PM timeframe. If you stay East or South of campus you should avoid that easily.
                          Last edited by HighlanderRPI; 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                            Heading down tomorrow with my son for the 4 PM game but haven't bought tickets yet. Is it safe to assume this won't be a sell-out and that we can get tix at the door?
                            I would bet money there will be PLENTY of seats for tomorrow's 4:00 game since the students are all gone for the holidays, especially general admission. You could always buy online tonight and pickup at WillCall (scroll down to my earlier posts for a link for $2 tickets for both games).

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              I believe people have indicated that tix won't be an issue.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                                I believe people have indicated that tix won't be an issue.
                                I'd be more worried about feral tumbleweed
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X