Penn State Womens Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Womens Hockey

Now that Penn State has hockey players committed to their program, how do the team members and at large fans feel the team will fair during next season. I realizre that the going will be tough, but I think we have a good class of recruits.

I don't think we can compete with Wisconsin or Minnesota but I think we will suprise a couple of teams in the early going.

Please jump in and get this thread going. I have seen a few of the girls play and have watched teams like Honeybaked and Pittsburgh play in various tournaments including Nationals during the last five years.

Look forward to an exciting four years at Penn state.
    Last edited by pennpapa; 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM.

Re: Penn State Womens Hockey

Originally posted by pennpapa View Post

Now that Penn State has hockey players committed to their program, how do the team members and at large fans feel the team will fair during next season. I realizre that the going will be tough, but I think we have a good class of recruits.

I don't think we can compete with Wisconsin or Minnesota but I think we will suprise a couple of teams in the early going.

Please jump in and get this thread going. I have seen a few of the girls play and have watched teams like Honeybaked and Pittsburgh play in various tournaments including Nationals during the last five years.

Look forward to an exciting four years at Penn state.
    Is Penn State adopting the BC policy of no Canadians? Or is it a money issue being that it's cheaper to give a PA resident a scholly over International students?

Cali
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      Or is it a money issue being that it's cheaper to give a PA resident a scholly over International students?
      Usually when a program first puts a team on the ice, they don't use their full allotment of scholarships in the first year, so that they can continue to recruit in subsequent seasons. Otherwise, it ends up with one huge class and very little for the next three seasons. To attract international student athletes, it usually requires a larger percentage of a full ride than it would for somebody from the area who would have been more likely to consider the school even if not playing a sport. I wouldn't assume that the composition of any start-up program in year one is indicative of what it will be down the road.

Regarding your comments about next year, one thing that will work against Penn State in the first year is the same thing that hurt Lindenwood: the lack of experience. Even if your talent level is comparable to some opponents, the teams on your schedule have players that have been through these games in years past. Even Lindenwood next season will have that advantage on you; Lindenwood will have players that know what it is like to go on the road and play Robert Morris or Mercyhurst. Your team will be trying to learn together, unless you pick up a transfer or two that will help in that regard. That doesn't mean you can't surprise a few opponents here and there, but be patient, because your staff will be learning as well. The presence of Gina Kearns on your staff should be a big help, because D-I isn't club, and it is nice to have someone around that has experienced both.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is Penn State adopting the BC policy of no Canadians? Or is it a money issue being that it's cheaper to give a PA resident a scholly over International students? Cali
        Nothing against the CA girls but I hope that is the case. Not sure why it would cost more then a full ride to get an international player. Face it, rides are really soft numbers, accounting numbers, play with the budget however you like.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Not sure why it would cost more then a full ride to get an international player. Face it, rides are really soft numbers, accounting numbers, play with the budget however you like.
          It isn't that it costs more than a full ride to get an international player, but that it is easier to attract a player for less than a full-ride if they are already interested in your school. Once a school gets to 18 scholarships, that is not a soft number in the eyes of the NCAA. Because most teams have more than 18 players, a program either needs some number on partial rides or a few walk ons.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Nothing against the CA girls but I hope that is the case. Not sure why it would cost more then a full ride to get an international player. Face it, rides are really soft numbers, accounting numbers, play with the budget however you like.
            Given Penn State being a "State" university, tuitions are lower for state residents. I am presuming that the $$ applied to a team's budget for scholarships is based on what that student would have to pay if they enrolled without the benefit of a scholarship.

Cali
            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

I think Penn State's experience will likely mirror Lindenwood's, dependant on the strength of their schedule. While Penn State has some great recruits, it will take a couple of years to be competitive against experienced D1 teams. After all, one would expect the same team of girls should be better than they were two years previously.

It is ideal for them to be in the CHA playing Lindenwood, which will give them each some good competition and a great yardstick to compare progress of their respective programs.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                It isn't that it costs more than a full ride to get an international player, but that it is easier to attract a player for less than a full-ride if they are already interested in your school. Once a school gets to 18 scholarships, that is not a soft number in the eyes of the NCAA. Because most teams have more than 18 players, a program either needs some number on partial rides or a few walk ons.
                and some kids that are partly financed via academic money. That's how schools are able to dole out money over and above the 18.5 number.

Comment

Originally posted by backcheck View Post
                  I think Penn State's experience will likely mirror Lindenwood's, dependant on the strength of their schedule. While Penn State has some great recruits, it will take a couple of years to be competitive against experienced D1 teams. After all, one would expect the same team of girls should be better than they were two years previously.

It is ideal for them to be in the CHA playing Lindenwood, which will give them each some good competition and a great yardstick to compare progress of their respective programs.
                  Don't be fooled by this years results from PSU. They will have a lot longer recruit cycle to prep for their first season than Lindenwood, so expect them to be better next year compared to this years Lindenwood squad. If they get a good goaler, similar to what the Orange had in their first season, they could be a pleasant surprise on the upside. Would not be surprised if they come up with a few transfers in from D1, similar to what the Orange did a few years back as part of their startup.

Comment

That is a good observation. Apparently Lindenwood only discovered they were going D1 December/January 12 months ago, thereby limiting their recruiting time relative to Penn State. Penn State may also carry more big name school panache for some players.

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    Don't be fooled by this years results from PSU. They will have a lot longer recruit cycle to prep for their first season than Lindenwood, so expect them to be better next year compared to this years Lindenwood squad. If they get a good goaler, similar to what the Orange had in their first season, they could be a pleasant surprise on the upside. Would not be surprised if they come up with a few transfers in from D1, similar to what the Orange did a few years back as part of their startup.

Comment

Given Penn State being a "State" university, tuitions are lower for state residents. I am presuming that the $$ applied to a team's budget for scholarships is based on what that student would have to pay if they enrolled without the benefit of a scholarship.

Cali
                      I don't know if this is the case for all state schools with programs, but I know of several where the cost of tuition charged to the budget is based on the cost of out of state tuition, even when the player is from in state.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by backcheck View Post
                        After all, one would expect the same team of girls should be better than they were two years previously.

I doubt you will see many of the coming season's players on the roster two years from now. Typically better players come in and replace the "charter" members of a start-up team.

Comment

Is Penn state planning on keeping their club team? Looks like most of these girls will not find roster spots on the main team.

Comment

Don't know about the Club Team but I know at least two of the Club Team players are probably going to make the team.

If you have looked at the committments, you will see that there is one Canadian that has committed. I don't know how the money thing goes as I am a neophite at this.

I think they have 18 scholarships and plan to use 6 per year over the next 3 years. I do know that some have been split.

I suspect that the going will be rough that first year. Looking at the committments I see some skaters that can move and some that are very hard workers. It will be up to Coach Josh to get them in shape and playing together. As for the goalie, she will be a freshman also. Shots will be faster and they will be crashing the net.

Has anyone seen the new uniforms? I wonder if they will make big changes. I see where they have decommissioned some of the licsening.
                            Last edited by pennpapa; 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

any chance they will go old school and have all white pants, gloves, socks and helmets with a single black stripe? sure they might look a little ratty after a few weeks but ...

Comment

Working...
                              X