X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota 12/10 - 12/11

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Like your line about us "having a Spoon and a Mac."
    I like the line too, though it must be said it's also a little Hokey. (ducks for cover)

We'll need them both to have big weekends if we are going to be successful up there...
    No doubt. Kelly running Wild -- in a focused way -- would also be a huge help. And the Brittany Song will most definitely need to be on. (additional safety precautions taken.)

...I would love to see the Womens Frozen Four here in Ohio sometime. The problem here is that we don't really have the right size arena. You can't hold a Womens Frozen Four at Nationwide Arena or the Schott ... too big...
    However there's a perfectly sized facility just one state to the north. Wouldn't it be awesome to have the Women's FF at Yost? (On to the bomb shelter. Incoming 'Red' missiles expected shortly.)

On a less whimsical front, we're all hoping for excellent games this weekend, and of course some Buckeye points would be great. Wish I could be there. Gopher fans, do post your observations. I look forward to reading your accounts.

Comment

Pgb, haha, Womens Frozen Four at Yost! Red would love that, right? In addition to the players you mentioned, I hope we are able to get the other twin back soon so we can have the "sisterly synergy of the Schmitts!"

Comment

Tough outing for the girls today. Minnesota leading 4-1 late in the second period.

Comment

Gophers scored 3 times in 100 seconds in the first, and that's the difference in the game.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is that a final?

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
            WCHA Playoff Champions:
            NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
            NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
              Is that a final?
              It was second intermission when you asked, final now, same score.

Comment

Minnesota finished the sweep today with a 3-1 win. Tough weekend for the Bucks and a tough way to go into the break.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Tough weekend for the Bucks and a tough way to go into the break.
                  Yes and no. Obviously it would have been extremely nice to earn some points. But I'm guessing both the players and coaches are actually pretty grateful for the break, the results notwithstanding.

For one thing, there's plenty to be proud of. All I know about the MN series comes from the boxscores and Arlan's recaps. But it sure looks like we played very well for 5 of the 6 periods. Take away the empty-netter on Sunday, and that was a one goal game. We didn't get over the hump this time, but we can hold our heads high. And there will be other, more important opportunities later in the season.

As we head into the break, we're in a three way tie for for 4th Place, recordwise. In terms of points, we're actually one point in front of Bemidji, due to the head-to head shootout win. So really we're in a tie with UMD for 4th. Since 4th is the final home ice position in the playoffs, that's important. To come out of the logjam ahead, the road games in Duluth and Bemidji will be huge. But we are very much in the mix, and in control of our own destiny.

Last but not least, we've got an all-new new coaching staff, as everyone knows. The transition has been more than seamless; Coach Nate has the team playing very well. That's far from guaranteed in the first year of a new coaching regime, and also something to be proud of.
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Actually other than the first minute and a half of the first game OSU played extremely well and should come away with good feeling. Spooner is a beast, McIntosh has some great hands and Steffes played great after the 3 goal burst. The game was back and forth the rest of the game with both teams having good chances. Minnesota's Kessel and Schoulis were outstanding and in my opinion both are two of the best players in the WCHA. Of coarse you can put Spooner in the same category and Mc a little below. Minnesota is loaded and I can't understand why Frost doesn't role all lines and wear teams down. Raty also was amazing in net. Looked like Frost matched up Bozek with Spooner and that also seemed to work.

The second game was pretty even for the first two periods and then OSU shortened their bench which I feel tired them out and Minnesota dominated the third period. Frost seemed to play three lines more consistently mixing in his forth in this game and it seemed to pay off. Ohio State is deeper than I thought and have two good lines and a solid third. They seperated Spooner and Mac which I thought that was a good move. I didn't like the move of Frost taking Erickson of the top line as they didn't seem to gel as much with West. I'm sure in time it will. Both great games and great hockey as refs seemed to let them play.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                      Actually other than the first minute and a half of the first game OSU played extremely well and should come away with good feeling.
                      On Saturday, it was about 5 minutes in when the Gophers got the first goal, scoring three in just over a minute and a half, but you're right, that was the stretch that did the Buckeyes in.
                      Minnesota is loaded and I can't understand why Frost doesn't role all lines and wear teams down. Raty also was amazing in net. Looked like Frost matched up Bozek with Spooner and that also seemed to work.
                      The injury to Kelly Terry early in game 1 threw everything regarding the lines off. UM no longer had 4 full lines, but both Anderson and Brausen saw shifts on the third with Kortum and Lorence. Bona got most of the work with the second. Can't say whether the intended swap of Erickson/West worked, although it did seem to get #17 going a little bit. I agree on Raty, she was on all weekend. The two goals that beat her were a) a great shot under the bar; and b) a nice collaboration by OSU's two best players. Both Bozek and Schleper were out most of the time on Saturday when Spooner/McIntosh/Langan were on the ice. On Sunday with that line separated, Bozek and Schleper were as well.

Comment

Any word on Terry. There was some talk that she was spitting up blood? She looked ok on Saturday. Hope she is ok as she is another player who plays every shift.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Yes and no. Obviously it would have been extremely nice to earn some points. But I'm guessing both the players and coaches are actually pretty grateful for the break, the results notwithstanding.

For one thing, there's plenty to be proud of. All I know about the MN series comes from the boxscores and Arlan's recaps. But it sure looks like we played very well for 5 of the 6 periods. Take away the empty-netter on Sunday, and that was a one goal game. We didn't get over the hump this time, but we can hold our heads high. And there will be other, more important opportunities later in the season.

As we head into the break, we're in a three way tie for for 4th Place, recordwise. In terms of points, we're actually one point in front of Bemidji, due to the head-to head shootout win. So really we're in a tie with UMD for 4th. Since 4th is the final home ice position in the playoffs, that's important. To come out of the logjam ahead, the road games in Duluth and Bemidji will be huge. But we are very much in the mix, and in control of our own destiny.

Last but not least, we've got an all-new new coaching staff, as everyone knows. The transition has been more than seamless; Coach Nate has the team playing very well. That's far from guaranteed in the first year of a new coaching regime, and also something to be proud of.
                          I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I said it was a tough way to go into the break, I basically just meant going into the break having been swept. I hate to see the kids play well and not get rewarded, but then, that happens in hockey. John Markell (former OSU mens coach) once said that hockey can be a cruel game because you can do everything right and still lose. But I digress. I certainly agree and have been saying it all season that I enjoy the way this team has been playing under the new coaching staff. I'm bummed because I am not going to make the Princeton game on 12/30. The other guys in my dept are off that day so I couldn't get it off. I'll be there on 12/31.

Comment

Any word on Terry. There was some talk that she was spitting up blood? She looked ok on Saturday. Hope she is ok as she is another player who plays every shift.
                            I was told that Terry would have been able to play next weekend had the team not been going on break, but the doctors had concerns about her playing Sunday so soon after her injury had she been hit again.

I worry a little bit about Seeler, as she limped off in the final period and didn't return. Hopefully her injury can heal over the break.

Comment

Did see Seeler hobbled. Hopefully she be ok after the break.

Comment

The other one that hobbled off was Spooner. She must be a tough kid because she didn't stay on the bench that long...
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X