12/2 Best of VT/Nation Norwich vs. Castleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/2 Best of VT/Nation Norwich vs. Castleton

Now that Castleton finished off Morrisville today we will now get to see two undefeated teams go head to head on Friday. Not just for VT supremacy this time but for the winner, a spot at number 1 which Norwich already holds. Norwich is the clear number 1 right now, no one is arguing that fact. I would be surprised if Oswego or CSC got any number 1 votes this week after the primelink beatdown Norwich gave on two top ten opponents. It will be interesting to see if CSC can slip into second with 2 wins this weekend with the Lakers being idle.

This may not be as highly touted as the LSU/Alabama game was but for D3 hockey getting a 1 vs 2/3 is pretty big, especially since it's a conference game which means something. So let the speculation begin!

Re: 12/2 Best of VT/Nation Norwich vs. Castleton

Originally posted by thatswhatshesaid View Post
    Now that Castleton finished off Morrisville today we will now get to see two undefeated teams go head to head on Friday. Not just for VT supremacy this time but for the winner, a spot at number 1 which Norwich already holds. Norwich is the clear number 1 right now, no one is arguing that fact. I would be surprised if Oswego or CSC got any number 1 votes this week after the primelink beatdown Norwich gave on two top ten opponents. It will be interesting to see if CSC can slip into second with 2 wins this weekend with the Lakers being idle.

This may not be as highly touted as the LSU/Alabama game was but for D3 hockey getting a 1 vs 2/3 is pretty big, especially since it's a conference game which means something. So let the speculation begin!
    For shame for starting this thread without the Battle of Vermont moniker in the thread title! :P
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Norwich got the job done in the Primelink ... it's a great tournament to win and they have won it seven times ... but as great as it is this year it only served as the preliminary ... the season really begins this Friday night at Kreitzberg!!!

Comment

Given what we've seen so far of NU the power play, Castleton is going to have to stay out of the box or face a long evening Friday.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Given what we've seen so far of NU the power play, Castleton is going to have to stay out of the box or face a long evening Friday.
          If CSC has one flaw this year its getting penalties. With Harris coming back on Friday it should add some extra fire power up front, but I'm honestly not sure how CSC can handle Norwich if it becomes a physical game and it starts coming down to who gets more power play opportunities cause they will lose that battle in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            For shame for starting this thread without the Battle of Vermont moniker in the thread title! :P
            See, I'd say battle of Vermont, but this is really BEST of Vermont and better yet, BEST of the nation(but I'm bias ). No matter who wins this game, Vermont wins in the end and I'm ok with that.

Comment

If CSC has one flaw this year its getting penalties. With Harris coming back on Friday it should add some extra fire power up front, but I'm honestly not sure how CSC can handle Norwich if it becomes a physical game and it starts coming down to who gets more power play opportunities cause they will lose that battle in my opinion.
              Granted this is a different year but....

In Castleton's 3-2 win at Kreitzberg last year they were 3-for-3 on the PP while Norwich was 0-for-5.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Friday's Norwich vs. Castleton is anyones game and I agree--the season begins then. So far both teams schedules are close to identical against the
                same ECAC-E opponents. What is interesting is comparison of their respective performances against non-ECAC-E teams in the two holiday tournaments. In that case I give the edge slightly to Norwich.

The two opponents NU faced arrived at the Prime Link with a combined record of 6-2 and both were ranked within the top 10 of the USCHOL poll.
                Meanwhile, Castleton squared off against two opponents who came to Rutland with a combined record of 5-9-2. What I saw was Norwich delivering
                two tough, convincing and consistent wins in the Primelink. I also watched Castleton's final Rutland Tournament win, which seemed start to finish like a Spartan struggle against an aggressive 2-4-1 SUNY Morrisville.

However, heading towards Friday the Cadet growing casualty list should be worrisome but so far, the other guys seem to have really stepped up to
                the plate and filled the void. On the regular NU board there was some chatter about running the table. Forget it. That has always been their mantra
                for great success. Good luck Cadets.
                Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                  FOn the regular NU board there was some chatter about running the table. Forget it. That has always been their mantra for great success. Good luck Cadets.
                  Talk of running the table is something we need to leave to Oswego fans - we need to look at it one game at a time...
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

See, I'd say battle of Vermont, but this is really BEST of Vermont and better yet, BEST of the nation(but I'm bias ). No matter who wins this game, Vermont wins in the end and I'm ok with that.
                    I agree this will be the battle of Vermont, but I really do not believe CSC is as good as their record. This will not be the battle of the nation. Morrisville gave them a heck of a game.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      Talk of running the table is something we need to leave to Oswego fans - we need to look at it one game at a time...
                      Hey....so what if we are already thinking of an undefeated season for the 2012-2013 campaign....

Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                        I agree this will be the battle of Vermont, but I really do not believe CSC is as good as their record. This will not be the battle of the nation. Morrisville gave them a heck of a game.
                        Maybe Morrisville isn't too shabby either?

Let's not forget that Morrisville has made steady progress over the past few seasons and are only in their sixth year as a D-III program after stepping up from NJCAA.

The Mustangs have wins over Oswego, Elmira, and Plattsburgh that I know of and they had the Cards on the ropes last year in the SUNYAC play-in round. Not too shabby.

2-5-1 doesn't seem like much on the surface, but when you take a look deeper and see who they have played and how close most of the games, have been, you will see they might be the best 2-5-1 team in the country. They certainly aren't a gimme game and I think they'll give Norwich a run for their money in the first round of the Northfield Savings Bank Tourney if the Cadets overlook them.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

The great thing about Morrisville is that they are willing to play anybody outside the conference. They will continue to improve over not only the long run, but the short run too. They will make the final 4 in the SUNYAC.....You heard it here first!
                          Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                            The great thing about Morrisville is that they are willing to play anybody outside the conference. They will continue to improve over not only the long run, but the short run too. They will make the final 4 in the SUNYAC.....You heard it here first!
                            10-4 and it gets them some exposure as well..

Comment

There are a lot of factors to consider when looking at the Norwich/Castleton game on Friday. Both teams have excellent offensive talent and have lots of scorer's; Castleton goalie Erick Cinotte SV% of .951 and GAA of 1.60 are some of the best stats in D3; game is being played on the big ice surface which should favor Norwich; considering the 2 exhabition game's Norwich has played stronger competition then Castleton and is more used to these big games. Also a large factor is the total number injured players that may not be available to pay for Norwich this Friday.

Whatever the outcome I can not recall two ECAC E teams rated 1 & 3 playing each other before. The game has to be good for D3 hockey in Vermont and the ECAC E league.
                              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Working...
                              X